Story

Missy Hiett

Cathlete
I did Cathe a lot in my late 30s and early 40s. I was never able to do a step workout on an 8 inch step. I worked at the time, and my time was limited.

After that, I went through a bad divorce and got very sick. I gained over 100 pounds. I couldn't go up the stairs without losing my breath. It was pretty bad.

I had weight loss surgery August of 2015. I know a lot of people are opposed to that, and I understand why. I'm not going to debate the merits other than to say it worked for me.

I've totally changed the way I eat and I've lost 110 pounds. The doctors said they wanted me to work out 5 hours a week. I laughed because I thought that was impossible.

I started with the Cathe step workouts because I always loved them. I could do 5 or 10 minutes at a time and then take a long break. I got a Fitbit, and monitored my heart rate. At first, I tried to do about 4,000 steps a day. Today I do more than 10,000.

In January, I started the ICE series. It was the perfect segway into tougher workouts. I did the entire rotation.

After that, I noticed that my boyfriend (now fiance) was training for tough bike races....Century races in the mountains. He regularly cycled more than 2 hours a day. I began cycling with him. At first I went 8.5 miles per hour. Now I do 15-15.7 regularly for 2 hours.

I began running. I walked at 22 minute miles at first. Now I do around 12 minute mile averages for 5 mile runs.

I do Cathe step workouts several times a week. I use an 8 inch step! I am 49 years old now, and in the best shape of my life.

I think doing the ICE series really propelled me into the next level of tough Cathe workouts. I've begun doing Hiit workouts and I can't believe I can do as well as I do. I recently did all 5 Tabatas in Tabatacise from the XTrain series. For me, that's amazing.

My diet was key during this weight loss phase. Even though I had the surgery, it wouldn't have been successful if I didn't eat properly. They said I would lose 70 pounds. I lost 40 more than that, because I ate right.

I also am bipolar, and for the first time in over 15 years, I'm in remission. Diet and exercise were key in achieving this.

I hope this can encourage others. :) Happy to be a part of this group :)

I'm so proud of you and I dont even know you....except to say you ARE a fellow Cathlete! Congratulations on your amazing accomplishments. I hope it stays with you and propels you to stay with your new and exciting active and fit lifestyle. When I make an effort to eat clean, I feel a difference immediately! And it's definitely a positive feeling! Good for you. Thanks for sharing too. Love button is a great idea :)

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You have inspire me and I'm sure many others. Keep up the amazing work. God bless.:cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.