Stop teaching kids to write in cursive?

I've been hearing the same thing is being considered here in SC.
I ceratinly see some validity...many people have barely legible handwriting...if they were to focus on one form perhaps that would change. However, what about all the amazing old writings done in beautiful script, cursive, calligraphy? Even if they don't write it, they need to learn to read it. I'm torn.

I also seldom, if ever, write in cursive (except my signature). I noticed with both DD and DS the cursive they are learning is a bit closer to printing than mine was. Some of the letter shapes have changed. I don't necessarily mind if they do away with teaching it. My thought is, there are still things written in cursive (cards, for example). Would children be unable to read cursive if they didn't learn how to write it?

Carrie

I also seldom, if ever, write in cursive (except my signature).

Carrie

I simply cannot imagine this. I think of all the cards and notes I have written to people (and still write as there is nothing more impersonal that "personal" e-communications). I guess I am an old fogey.

Now in order to be creative kids will have to have a stupid computer monitor in front of their faces. Why not skip writing all together. People can type out their grocery lists instead of writing them.....that is as long as the electricity doesn't fail or a virus attacks those nifty Windows PCs. The only good that could come of it is perhaps we can read a doctor's notes.

i am on this weird perspective. my autistic daughter(that is her in the avatar) actually has an easier time learning and writing in cursive then she does print. she also uses a computer and smart board to type messages and do work but everyday they send home a cursive sheet so they won't be stopping it here.

IMO they shouldn't do away with it. i think it looks formal when writing a letter(yep i still do that, i am not just all email LOL), or something of the sort. i don't think it was a waste for me. i tend to write more in cursive you can actually read my handwriting better then if i printed..

kassia

Wow. I am physically incapable of writing in cursive, so I can't say that I really care about this. I think most people's hand writing morphs into something else as they get older anyway. I know mine and most of my friend's did.

As long as they can print, I don't see what the big deal is about.

I sit on a board at school that makes decisions about curriculum and I cannot tell you how hugely controversial and what a hot button this issue is. It's amazing. At our school they are still teaching it, somehow (with everything else they have to cover) and they count points off at the middle school for sloppy cursive, but I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last....

I simply cannot imagine this. I think of all the cards and notes I have written to people (and still write as there is nothing more impersonal that "personal" e-communications). I guess I am an old fogey.

Now in order to be creative kids will have to have a stupid computer monitor in front of their faces. Why not skip writing all together. People can type out their grocery lists instead of writing them.....that is as long as the electricity doesn't fail or a virus attacks those nifty Windows PCs. The only good that could come of it is perhaps we can read a doctor's notes.

When I write notes/cards, I usually print. For a lot of people, printing is easier to read than cursive so I am trying to be kind and print!

I actually do type my grocery list:eek:. I find it easier to read and can think of how the store is laid out so I write the list in order.

Carrie

I sit on a board at school that makes decisions about curriculum and I cannot tell you how hugely controversial and what a hot button this issue is. It's amazing. At our school they are still teaching it, somehow (with everything else they have to cover) and they count points off at the middle school for sloppy cursive, but I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last....

I think that is why I am more ok with them doing away with teaching it. I don't think there should be points taken off on a paper for sloppy cursive, especially in middle school (unless it is a handwriting class, which I can't imagine them having in middle school!). If the content and meaning are correct, sources are cited, etc., why should the child lose points because of penmanship? It is such a subjective thing anyway (what is considered neat).

Carrie

Wow. I am physically incapable of writing in cursive, so I can't say that I really care about this. I think most people's hand writing morphs into something else as they get older anyway. I know mine and most of my friend's did.

As long as they can print, I don't see what the big deal is about.

Yup, mine is a wierd combo of cursive/printing. And it is much worse than it used to be. I sometimes have a hard time reading it. They still teach cursive in our schools. DS is in 3rd grade and they learned it last year. His is still a little wobbly. Its funny to read kid's cursive, its cute.

Nan

When I write notes/cards, I usually print. For a lot of people, printing is easier to read than cursive so I am trying to be kind and print!

I actually do type my grocery list:eek:. I find it easier to read and can think of how the store is laid out so I write the list in order.

Carrie

I suspect your cursive is quite legible. ;)

I wish they would stop teaching cursive and teach keyboarding instead. My teenagers have to have everything typed and don't know how to type correctly and it takes them forever. Keyboarding seems like a much more valuable skill today - everything is typed and very few things are hand-written.

My 2nd grade daughter is the youngest in her class and is close to learning cursive in school and I am dreading it because I don't think she is ready yet. I would rather her just stay with print. DH and I only print and can barely remember how to make cursive letters.

Erica

Cursive

Hi,

I work in a large county in Northern Va and my sons both completed school there. Neither son easily reads nor writes cursive. In the middle school that I'm in, we are finding the same issue. Kids don't read and write cursive much anymore. I know that it is still taught in the elementary schools, but with all of the emphasis on standardized tests, I'm sure teachers just don't have the time to focus on cursive. In fact, I don't think that they focus on penmanship much at all. When I look around at the printing that kids do, some of it is barely legible. I'm surely not an advocate for taking off points for penmanship (unless the lesson is on penmanship), but it should be legible. According to the occupational therapists, penmanship is pretty much set at an age much earlier than middle school, so it's really a moot point by then. I'm all for teaching kids to keyboard and have legible, functional printing.

Tracy

I think that is why I am more ok with them doing away with teaching it. I don't think there should be points taken off on a paper for sloppy cursive, especially in middle school (unless it is a handwriting class, which I can't imagine them having in middle school!). If the content and meaning are correct, sources are cited, etc., why should the child lose points because of penmanship? It is such a subjective thing anyway (what is considered neat).

Carrie

Yep, I know -- it seems harsh, doesn't it? Especially since, I've heard, it's sometimes one or two points on a 10 point total assignment!

Carrie

I disagree. Penmanship is important. My daughter struggled with writing both printing and cursive. I think the challenges she faced with the actual mechanics of writing, and the points off she received for her sloppy hand writing, made her slow down and become a better writer over all. I would also argue that it made her a better student as she could not fudge her way through it. Her hand writing was there for all to see. She's not a fabulous hand writer now, but I can read it. However, she's a straight A student after struggling with D's and F's in middle school.

I, for one, would hate to see cursive removed from our schools. I think it's important to be able to both read and write in cursive as not everyone uses the keyboard. I think our kids would lose a lot. Thank you notes still should be hand written - yes they can be printed, but a nice cursive will always come in handy.

I disagree. Penmanship is important. My daughter struggled with writing both printing and cursive. I think the challenges she faced with the actual mechanics of writing, and the points off she received for her sloppy hand writing, made her slow down and become a better writer over all. I would also argue that it made her a better student as she could not fudge her way through it. Her hand writing was there for all to see. She's not a fabulous hand writer now, but I can read it. However, she's a straight A student after struggling with D's and F's in middle school.

I, for one, would hate to see cursive removed from our schools. I think it's important to be able to both read and write in cursive as not everyone uses the keyboard. I think our kids would lose a lot. Thank you notes still should be hand written - yes they can be printed, but a nice cursive will always come in handy.

I couldn't agree more and I find it quite surprising that there are adults out there who cannot write cursive.

I used to love to write in journals (in cursive of course as it is quicker) and I wonder what kids do today. Do they dish all their personal feelings on blogs for the world to see? I use computers and hand held devices daily, taking advantage of a number of different web 2.0 technologies and I just don't comprehend how people could not be bothered to learn how to write. Aren't our attention spans limited enough these days?

I won't be surprised to see cursive writing go away. I think it's kind of inevitable given the proliferation of electronic messaging device out there.

If you're worried about thank you notes being printed rather than written in cursive, what about the fact that actual 'voice to voice' communication is losing ground? There were more text messages sent on cell phones than calls made in 2009. That's not even counting emails & IMing done on computers.

Among the technorati (and Gen Xers & Zers), calling someone is passe & often considered rude. A "text" relationships is a step down from a "phone call" relationship. The things I learn!!

W/O even voice to voice (let alone not face to face) communication, imagine the possibilities for misunderstandings!! Not learning cursive may be the least of society's problems...:eek:

Why do they teach cursive in school? Is it just for your signature?

I never use cursive except for my signature. I have a hard time reading it, too.
Lorrie

Seriously??? Doing away with cursive?? WHY?

My boys are in 3rd grade and Kindergarten and were both taught to print using the standard middle dotted line and then progressed to cursive. I think it is developmentally important to learn to write. Printing is fine for informal things, but cursive is still the standard practice.

I realize that texting and email etc etc have become an acceptable form of communication but typing should be an added course, not a replacement one.

See? Controversial and hot buttons. Amazing!

Thank goodness our school teaches keyboarding in addition to cursive... my 10 year old is a pretty good typist!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.