Still doing push-ups on my knees!

twinsplus3

Push-ups are not my friend. I'm valiantly soldiering through mesocycle 1 but those push ups are just not where I want them to be. Could this be because I'm starting out with zero upper body muscle mass? Is anyone else still on their knees on disc 10 and wishing they were on there toes? Am I ever going to get to my toes? I'm not slacking. I'm doing every push-up to failure and often landing on my nose. My form is good. Anyone else in the same boat or better yet, been there and moved on?

I did the whole Meso 1 and 2 on my knees. But I'm old-n-fat. Just do what you can and in time you will master them. No worries.

I was stuck for years until I read the above linked thread and started doing push-ups on a higher incline.

First I started doing them against the back of my couch.

Then I graduated to my step. I forget how high I had the height, but it was a little lower than my couch.

I lowered the step gradually until I could do 10 decent push ups on the floor. Now I can do about 20. When I go back to Meso #1, I don't anticipate being able to knock all of those push-ups out on my toes, so if I struggle, I'll just head back to an incline again.

I still have a hard time with pushups - I start on my toes, in Meso 1, I can do the first round on my toes, the second on my toes for about 6 and then it's all on my knees. And forget the 30! I can't even do all of them on my knees ... but I am 10 months out from shoulder surgery so am not fully recovered (so my doctor says - he says a full year until I'm "normal", although I was NEVER normal before - hehe). I'm just going to keep at it.

I never got off my knees during Mesos 1 and 2. But now that I'm on the last week (6-month rotation) of Meso 3, I can do a whole bunch on my toes. The strength work of these last few weeks has really made a difference. If doing them on your knees is work and is working the right muscles and is getting easier, pat yourself on the back and celebrate. So what if you don't get up to your feet right away.

No you are not alone. I've been working out with Cathe ever since she started out years ago and still do push ups on my knees. Hey, I figure it's better then no push ups at all!!

you are definitely not alone. I still have to do some on my knees but after completing STS once; I can do more on my toes than the 1st go around. I'm like princessbear; I start out on my toes; then the next set I do some on my toes & finish on my knees & by the end of it, I'm doing all on my knees & struggling at that. Just do what you can; & focus on what you can do. We don't all progress at the same rate, so look at your own improvements & high five to you - to all of us for sticking to it. These are tough workouts but you are doing them & no matter how you do the push ups you are using good form & working to failure - Yea! way to work. Give yourself a pat on the back (if your arms aren't too sore LOL).

Last year I broke the bone in my right foot that supports you in a pushup position, so I'll probably always do them on my knees. It's just a modification I have to make. I'm able to keep up with Cathe otherwise, so I think that's what counts. Then again that's just my opinion.

Probably I can do 5 good push ups but that's it, I wish I can do better but Meso 1 is a killer on push ups. I still do all of them on my knees but is true better that then nothing, I they still work pretty good.

Eunice

You can add to the intensity of doing them on your knees (and perhaps help to build up to doing them on toes) by using a resistance band or cord. Start at the bottom position, and wrap the band around your back, holding onto the ends in each hand so the band is pretty taut. Then push up from there. The band will give you more resistance to work against on the way up.

To work toward toe push-ups, you can use the 'gradually decreasing incline' method (start at the wall, then a counter, then a chair seat, then the high step or regular step at gradually decreasing heights) or you can try stability-ball push-ups, starting with the ball under your lower thigh (perhaps), then under the shin, then under the ankle, then on the toes.

Last edited:
You can add to the intensity of doing them on your knees (and perhaps help to build up to doing them on toes) by using a resistance band or cord. Start at the bottom position, and wrap the band around your back, holding onto the ends in each hand so the band is pretty taut. Then push up from there. The band will give you more resistance to work against on the way up.

To work toward toe push-ups, you can use the 'gradually decreasing incline' method (start at the wall, then a counter, then a chair seat, then the high step or regular step at gradually decreasing heights) or you can try stability-ball push-ups, starting with the ball under your lower thigh (perhaps), then under the shin, then under the ankle, then on the toes.

Thanks so much! These are some great ideas and I'd like to give them a try. Much appreciated!

I lowered the step gradually until I could do 10 decent push ups on the floor. Now I can do about 20. When I go back to Meso #1, I don't anticipate being able to knock all of those push-ups out on my toes, so if I struggle, I'll just head back to an incline again.

This is a great idea and I'm going to give it a try. Thanks so much.

I never got off my knees during Mesos 1 and 2. But now that I'm on the last week (6-month rotation) of Meso 3, I can do a whole bunch on my toes. The strength work of these last few weeks has really made a difference. If doing them on your knees is work and is working the right muscles and is getting easier, pat yourself on the back and celebrate. So what if you don't get up to your feet right away.

Can't wait to see if the strength training at the end makes a difference for me as well. Cathe makes them (push-ups) look so pretty and perfect. I'd love to have the strength to support myself so well. Until then, I'll keep working at it and it sure is encouraging to know that there are lots of others still working at it along with me. Thanks everyone.

do the push ups on your knees with a weighted vest if you have one. this will build up your strength to the point where you can do them on your toes. this worked for me, i used a 10 lb. vest.

i can do 41 straight leg on my toes! i go at a steady pace,not slow. slower the harder. do as many as you can instead of following something like a 4 4 count. practice more than once a week

laura

i just finished day 1 in meso 2 I cannot do them on my toes...I will keep on keeping on till i can ..I do get frustrated but I'm sure in time it will come.

do the push ups on your knees with a weighted vest if you have one. this will build up your strength to the point where you can do them on your toes. this worked for me, i used a 10 lb. vest.

How long did it took you go from your knees to your toes after been practicing with the 10 pd vest?
That very impressive. ( vest is in my to do list);)

COUNTING DAYS;)
6 more weeks until my DH get back home.
Eunice:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.