Stephanie Meyer & Twilight series

beth6395

Cathlete
Can someone help me out here? What books are in this series and what order should you read them?

If you have read them are they a good mystery? suspense? drama? How about for young readers is there reference to sex in these?

Thank you for your responses.

Here they are in order:
Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn

The are kinda like romance/fantasy/drama. I really enjoyed them. They are written for young readers and there are no graphic sex details in the books. One of the books does have a slight sexual reference but you have to read between the lines.

I loved this series!!! There wasn't really sex in the books - at least not graphically. It does happen in one of the books, but is handled very tastefully. I wouldn't hesitate to let a young teenager read any of them. I would consider them suspense, drama, love story, all rolled into one. I couldn't put them down after I started reading them.

I believe the order is: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and...and... I can't remember the name of the 4th one!!! How frustrating.

I didn't think I would like these books but I'm halfway through the 3rd book and I can't put it down. I read during my lunch hour and I had to force myself to put the book down. Everyone I know who has read these books has enjoyed them even my BIL!

Thank you so much for the replys what a big help. I always can count on you guys to give it to me straight and i will give them a try.

I read this series also and couldn't put them down! (I was up late at night knowing I needed to go to sleep!)

Jo

Beth, I started reading the series when my SIL bought the first 2 books for my 13 y/o. I figured they were okay, but I wanted to read them just to make sure. Plus everyone was talking about Twilight, and my curiosity got the best of me.

At first I was intrigued by the concept but disappointed with author's style. My SIL had to remind me that this was written with pre-teens and teens in mind, something I kept forgetting.

So I grumbled through the first two books. Then I found myself thinking, "Well, now I gotta see what happens." when we got our hands on the 3rd book. By the end of the 4th book, I desperately wanted to be a vampire. :eek:

Sorry to drag out an old post, but...

Okay...I hate when people drag up old posts, but I knew that this had been discussed already and I am late to join the bandwagon. I figured that I could just add to what has already been said... Forgive me!!

I never would've thought that I would like these books...not my style at all!! I finished the first book in less than a week and am now a third of the way through book2.

I am so intrigued and fascinated!! I usually like biographies, romance, history...not vampires!!

I only watched the TV show "Friends" during the very last season, same with "Seinfeld". I don't usually like something that is popular, but I am in love with this series (several years late, of course!!!!)
Jenn :)

Okay...I hate when people drag up old posts, but I knew that this had been discussed already and I am late to join the bandwagon. I figured that I could just add to what has already been said... Forgive me!!

I never would've thought that I would like these books...not my style at all!! I finished the first book in less than a week and am now a third of the way through book2.

I am so intrigued and fascinated!! I usually like biographies, romance, history...not vampires!!

I only watched the TV show "Friends" during the very last season, same with "Seinfeld". I don't usually like something that is popular, but I am in love with this series (several years late, of course!!!!)
Jenn :)

Thanks Jenn. I actually am still on the fence, however, i did find 4 of the outlander series at 2.00 each. Every thirft store, used book store and Salvation Army by me are out of them but I will keep my eyes peeled.

I am really enjoying these as well. At first I was thinking it wasn't my thing but I can't put down these books. Not noticing the time I have stayed up until 3am and freak knowing I have to go into work soon.

Loved the series, you won't be disappointed.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

I enjoyed book 1....but book 2 never hit the mark. I also enjoyed books 3 and 4....they weren't substantial in any way and honestly, I didn't walk away with any heart sunk extra knowledge....I just chalk them up to a fun waste of time.

ETA: Yep, I enjoyed them.

I also thought that they were not my style so I bought Book 1 to see what everybody was talking about. Well, I couldn't put them down and read all four ASAP. I enjoyed them because everybody is reading them and talking about them. I sent the first one to my stepdaughter and she read all four! They are sooo enjoyable!
Ellen

Meaningless, but highly entertaining. It brought back memories of that intense high school love. Even had me dreaming about my high school boyfriend.

Just wanted to mention that if you go to her website, there is an excerpt of a book she started and never finished. It is Twilight written from Edwards perspecitve. It's fun to read.

I'm going to be the lone voice here against Twilight. I read the first one and finished it, but will not read the rest. I hated Bella - she could not stand on her own two feet - literally or figuratively. Edward had to do everything for her. I do not want my daughters thinking that men need to rescue us all the time - I prefer them to be able to rescue themselves. And seriously, the thought of a man with skin like marble (oh yeah, his broad chest that's like marble), makes me cold. And I'm bothered by the idea that a man as old as Edward (he's what - 106 - he looks 17 but seriously...) would be so attracted to a 17 year old girl. That sounds just wrong to me. I found the story wrong on so many levels. It actually kind of bothers me that it's so popular.

But that's me - I know many people like the series. You probably will as well. I just wanted to point out that not everyone does. My daughter says it's because I'm too much of a feminist.

I prefer Tamora Pierce - I love her female characters.

Last edited:
I hated Bella - she could not stand on her own two feet - literally or figuratively. Edward had to do everything for her.

Yes, I agree with you. It didn't bother me as much in book 1, but book 2 was even worse. I did get to the middle and think "My goodness girl (not woman), stop whinning". But, I was already hooked by then and had to find out what happened. You're right, she's not a strong character. It just didn't bother me enough to not read the books. I think it would be a good discussion point with my daughters when they get old enough to read it.

Neither I nor my 13 y/o liked Bella.

Edward is supposed to be frozen at the age of 17. That's why he's attracted to a teenage girl.

I saw something yesterday that I had to mention here in this thread. :) I was in traffic behind an SUV that had about 7 Twilight bumper stickers. "I love boys who sparkle" was one. "I drive like a Cullen" was another, plus a few of just Edward's face.

The woman behind the wheel didn't look much like a teenager though. She was definitely in her mid to late 20s (like my 29 year old niece, who is obsessed with Edward Cullen). I don't know why, but that made me chuckle. I don't think I've ever been that gaga over anyone or anything, even back when I was in high school.

Haha, I'm in my late 20's and I felt completely embarrassed to buy the series, but I'm so glad I did! These books were entertaining and great "easy-reads," which is totally up my alley since I find reading difficult in that I get very easily bored/distracted. Also, if you've seen the movie but haven't read the books, I suggest you read them. The movie was OK, but it didn't do the book any justice.

I admit, Bella started getting on my nerves too. She was way too whiny for me. If you like vampire stuff, check out the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (the HBO series "True Blood" is based off of these). It's very tongue-in-cheek but the female lead is strong. These are entertaining books too but I wouldn't recommend you let your young teens read them as there are some pretty racy scenes/language at points. Definitely a great read though, lol ;-)

I'm going to be the lone voice here against Twilight. I read the first one and finished it, but will not read the rest. I hated Bella - she could not stand on her own two feet - literally or figuratively. Edward had to do everything for her. I do not want my daughters thinking that men need to rescue us all the time - I prefer them to be able to rescue themselves. And seriously, the thought of a man with skin like marble (oh yeah, his broad chest that's like marble), makes me cold. And I'm bothered by the idea that a man as old as Edward (he's what - 106 - he looks 17 but seriously...) would be so attracted to a 17 year old girl. That sounds just wrong to me. I found the story wrong on so many levels. It actually kind of bothers me that it's so popular.

But that's me - I know many people like the series. You probably will as well. I just wanted to point out that not everyone does. My daughter says it's because I'm too much of a feminist.

I prefer Tamora Pierce - I love her female characters.

I agree with much of what you said but I did read the entire series. I was curious to find out how things would be resolved. I think the story could have been incredible.

Bella was not a strong female lead IMO. Also, there was such build up to the confilcts that I expected exciting resolutions. Sadly, they never came. Everything was fixed too easily and neatly, especially for vampires.

I borrowed the series from my son's girlfirend. She enjoyed all but the second one. She's 18 and I feel the style of writing is absolutely for girls in her age group. Neither one of us liked the movie.

Michelle

I'm reading her second book, The Host, and am loving it. The female in this story is the total opposite to Bella, she's strong and kicks butt. I didn't enjoy Eclipse because of how wishy washy and fragile Bella was. I found myself thinking, make a decision already.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.