step moves - 3 count run over the step - help

jgoycoolea

Cathlete
I am having trouble with the 3 count run over the step that ends in a straddle in the third combo. It blows my mind since I have gotten all of the other moves after my third time doing this dvd, and the run looks simple enough.

(It makes me think of the fast foot repeater in Step Blast which I never quite got either. I tried just substituting a 3 count repeater, which is what I did in Step Blast, but it doesn't work. You'd need 4 repeaters in Step Moves)

Does anyone have a way that they conceptualize this 3 count run? Like some words you say to yourself as you do it to get it? Are you thinking anything when you do it? Cathe doesn't seem to say much during this except 123, 223, stradle. Is is sort of pony like? Lunge like? Rock like?

For anyone struggling to get the other choreography in this dvd, I can only say that having mastered all of her other step workouts has definately helped. It would seem hard to just pick this up out of nowhere and get it. But I am loving this dvd!

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's a tricky one.

I had to stop the workout, move the step out of the way and practice.

I say what I'm supposed to be doing. tap, tap, down, tap, tap, down, tap, tap down

I still get off beat sometimes, but I'm better after the third workout than on the first time I did it.

It really is a lot of fun.

Good luck.

I had a hard time with that step too, but realized that when Cathe says 1-2-3, that your foot isn't on the step 3 counts, just two. So you kind of have to emphasize the 1-2 on the step, touch down on one side, 1-2 on the step, step down on other side.
Hope that helps! I posted yesterday I was having tough time with some of these moves!

Remember, before she straddles, it slows down. So she does 1-2-3, 1-2-3 quickly, then it is up, up, down, straddle. So being a music person, I thought triplet, triplet, one, two, three four.

I did this one today and although it is supposed to be 44 min, I am sure that after all the rewinds, it was more like 60 mins. I still didn't get the tripe step move.

Well, I still didn't get this triple run after my 4th day trying it. I will try Dorothy's tip next. Then, if I still can't get it, I am going to create my own sustitution. Maybe a 3 count repeater and a straddle? Thanks again.

Yeah, you're not alone! :D I did this WO for the 3rd time today and nailed ALL of it except for this move and one other, but it's getting better and I love a challenge!

Hi Dorothy! I am a music person too and yes, that's what I would say to the cast as they were initially stumped on this too...I would quickly count out triples "one two three, one two three" then standard count, "one, two, three, four" :D

Remember, before she straddles, it slows down. So she does 1-2-3, 1-2-3 quickly, then it is up, up, down, straddle. So being a music person, I thought triplet, triplet, one, two, three four.

Step Moves

Cathe,

I LOVE Step Moves! I can't stop doing it! It is great and thank you for making such a wonderful video - the music, choreography and fun factor is enormous. It is one of those fun videos that really brightens my days.

Actually I love all the STS cardio workouts that I have done.

STS and this Shock Cardio are my all time favorite videos ever.

Hi Jgoycoolea! Don't worry you are not alone, the cast was a little tripped up with that initially too. Once you get it, it is really fun to do.

Good news is if you really can't get that move down you can just do TWO straddle down's verses just the one. So you would eliminate the two triples and do a straddle down in its place along with the one that is already in the choreography.

But if you want to try to master it, I'll try to help.

Side Note: One triple run equals 2 counts and therefore both triple runs are the equivalent of 4 counts (the same counts it takes to do a basic step ....up up down down ). I'm telling you this because some people can figure out the timing of a move if they know how many beats it equals at standard tempo. If you are not one of those people, just ignore what I just typed :D

Okay lets try to talk about the footing. Assuming you are leading on the right leg....you start the triple run with your right foot going on the step, immediately followed by your left foot going up (meanwhile the right leg is suspended in the air while the left foot is on step).

Next (at exactly the same time) you lean your body with momentum to the outside of the step and touch your right foot to the outside of the step on the floor and AT THE SAME EXACT TIME you lift your left leg off the step and keep it suspended in the air right over the step. So now you have the right foot down and the left foot up while leaning and hesitating for one count before doing the exact same triple run to the other side.

So now lets count it out...

One, two lean right and hesitate, ( this entire sequence equals 2 standard beat counts)

One two lean left and hesitate (this entire sequence equals 2 standard beat counts)

then up up straddle down (this entire sequence equals 4 standard beat counts)

OR

Right, left, Rt (with left leg in air) and lean and hesitate for split second
Left, right, Left (with right leg in air) and lean and hesitate for split second
Straddle up up down down

This either helped or you've stopped reading long ago, lol! :D

I am having trouble with the 3 count run over the step that ends in a straddle in the third combo. It blows my mind since I have gotten all of the other moves after my third time doing this dvd, and the run looks simple enough.

(It makes me think of the fast foot repeater in Step Blast which I never quite got either. I tried just substituting a 3 count repeater, which is what I did in Step Blast, but it doesn't work. You'd need 4 repeaters in Step Moves)

Does anyone have a way that they conceptualize this 3 count run? Like some words you say to yourself as you do it to get it? Are you thinking anything when you do it? Cathe doesn't seem to say much during this except 123, 223, stradle. Is is sort of pony like? Lunge like? Rock like?

For anyone struggling to get the other choreography in this dvd, I can only say that having mastered all of her other step workouts has definately helped. It would seem hard to just pick this up out of nowhere and get it. But I am loving this dvd!

I'm so happy to hear this Amy. Keep shocking it :)

Cathe,

I LOVE Step Moves! I can't stop doing it! It is great and thank you for making such a wonderful video - the music, choreography and fun factor is enormous. It is one of those fun videos that really brightens my days.

Actually I love all the STS cardio workouts that I have done.

STS and this Shock Cardio are my all time favorite videos ever.

Hi Dorothy! I am a music person too and yes, that's what I would say to the cast as they were initially stumped on this too...I would quickly count out triples "one two three, one two three" then standard count, "one, two, three, four" :D

Sweet!

There are a lot of songs I sing with my choir that have these types or rhythms, so when this popped up in the video I immediately was thinking triplet, triplet!

Cathe, and all other previous posters of course!, thank you for taking the time and effort to provide such a thorough explanation! My mind does start to involuntarily fuzz over at talk of music and counts, but I love talk of lead legs and footing!

I think the words "Right, L, R (lean and hesitate), Left, R, L, (lean and hesitate), straddle up up down down" are going to nail it for me. Can't wait to try it!

You know, Dorothy mentions thinking of her music and Cathe counts together. But how about how when everyday words make you think of Cathe clips. Like when I walk my daughter to the bus stop and we go cross the street, I say to her "Let's cross over" and I can't help but think of 10-10-10 when Cathe says "lets cross over low low low." And there are many, many more examples like this. I think my brain is Cathe hard wired!

Jeanne

I did this workout for the 1st time yesterday and it prob took me an hour to get through it after all the rewinding!! BUT I really really love it! The music is great and the moves are so much fun to do!

Surprisingly, I got the 3 count run on the 2nd try but I'm a spaz when it comes to that crazy U-turn!! My body wants to stay on top of the step longer than it should. Even after rewinding, I still couldn't master it.

I did this workout for the 1st time yesterday and it prob took me an hour to get through it after all the rewinding!! BUT I really really love it! The music is great and the moves are so much fun to do!

Surprisingly, I got the 3 count run on the 2nd try but I'm a spaz when it comes to that crazy U-turn!! My body wants to stay on top of the step longer than it should. Even after rewinding, I still couldn't master it.

Thank yo uso much for posting that. I couldn't do that crazy-u turn for anything, and I was wondering why is this so hard for me? I could do the 3 count run thingy too, but not the reverse U? What is that all about?!!!:confused:

Step Moves is so much FUN. I did it again after Atheletic step. I think it should have been named Rhythmic Step 2. lol I thought my legs would be too tired to use the step, but, I was having so much fun, I did it with the step. Once you get the steps down it's so much fun. Please do not give up. It's worth it.

Step Moves is so much FUN. I did it again after Atheletic step. I think it should have been named Rhythmic Step 2. lol I thought my legs would be too tired to use the step, but, I was having so much fun, I did it with the step. Once you get the steps down it's so much fun. Please do not give up. It's worth it.

Thanks for the encouragement. I love stepping. It's my favorite way to exercise. I thought I would give it a try this morning, but I did 30/30 first. Even though I wasn't wiped out afterwards, I just had no energy to really "think" and try to get the moves down. I'll probably try again on Monday. I should have known better, though. It took me a loooooong time to finally learn Rhythmic Step. Now it's one of my favorites. But, I had to keep learning it in small parts. Looks like I'll have to try that approach with this one. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.