Starting over at 48

cdessert

I used to be an avid Catheite from 2002 till about 2010! I am ashamed to say I gave up and got lazy and caught up in building our house and in life. I have now become morbidly obese and have a torn medial meniscus making it literally hard to walk. It's really painful but I am determined to manage this without surgery. Walking is painful and embarrassing as I literally waddle. I want to try to get back in the groove and start moving more. I am thinking of doing cathes kickboxing workouts in moderation just to get me acclimated to being active again. I am 48 as of February and never been in a darker place being so out of shape and in pain constantly. I know from experience that exercise is the very best therapy for me and am determined to start over again. Any suggestions or words of encouragement desperately needed. I did this to myself and am ready to take my life back!!! Thanks!

Be sure to modify modify modify. A torn meniscus is a relatively simple and easy surgery to recover from. But I understand you may not be interested in it at this time. Just start small with your road to better health. Concentrate on doing a few things better daily (nutrition, exercise, meditation, etc...) and you'll get better. :)

Welcome back! I don't have any advice. All I know is that cathes workouts are addictive so you will be inspired. I wish you all the best with your new found focus on yourself and your health.

A good starting place might be doing Leslie Sanson's 1 miles walks, and work your way up to 2 and then 3 miles, using her old DVDs (cheap) which have no "boosted walking" (which is jogging.) Walking in place is easier than outdoor walks-you avoid the "waddle." Another great thing for you would be pool workouts. And I'd highly recommend consulting with a physical therapist before you get started. Some "knee rehab" targeted strengthening is probably in order before you do anything. As well as learning some do's and dont's given your condition.
Then you can start to tackle Cathe again if your knee gets better. Kickboxing may not be good as there is a lot of piveting of the knee; also all body weight is placed on one knee when you are kicking with the other. Again, not so good.
The good thing is...you're only 48!! You can do this!
Beth

I hear you, I am also overweight due to injury and steroids. We can do this! Together! How about swimming? Or biking? I understand those are okay for healing.

Congratulations for wanting to take your life back!

I'm 63 years old and would like to share with you how I got to be healthy.

Just like the bad habits you had picked up from the past you will pick up healthy ones from here on out.

First thing in the morning take a multiple vitamin, Vitamin D, flax seed oil and fish oil in a capsule. Do Not take a calcium tablet, they are not good for you. They can cause a heart attack. Instead, with your water or green tea consumed throughout the day, put 2 teaspoons of chia seeds in them once a day. That will help with the calcium. Don't worry they go down very easily.

Sugar will be your worst enemy because it is so addictive. Stay as far away from it as possible. Remember sugar causes obesity, heart attacks, diabetes and the illusion of continuously being hungry and many other terrible things. Then again in my opinion take out all processed foods. Anything you can't pick off a plant in it's original form, shouldn't be eaten. And then, eat lean lean meats, fish, seafood, fresh colorful fruits, mushrooms, eat small amounts but a variety of nuts, colorful vegetables, cook with coconut oil and olive oil. And No Salt! While eating these delicious foods eat a serving of foods, (not anymore than that) with each meal 3 times a day. Example: a serving of protein, a serving of vegies and a serving of fruit. While doing this do some form of exercises: walking, dancing, pool exercise, kickboxing (great idea by the way). Just move your body and be consistent with your workouts. Drink plenty of water/green tea throughout the day!

Do not eat grains (especially bread, tortillas rolls...), beans or green beans of any kind for awhile and when you do reintroduce them back into your life, please, do not eat wheat or any other grain that has gluten. Instead eat quinoa, gluten free oatmeal, brown rice, but continue to stay away from bread/gluten grain products. That's it!

Believe it or not there is a lot of nutritious foods mentioned above for you to get healthy on. Think of these foods as your medicine. You will feel better each and everyday.

I find working out 5 times a week is good. Do cardio one day (try to reach a goal of 45 continuous min.) and the next day do weight lifting. Enjoy!

You are at an age where it is exceptional. Enjoy life and share your experiences as you go through this journey of being healthy.

I'm so proud of you, and cheering you on,

Janie

Last edited:
I don't have any additional advice than what was already given. I'm glad to hear you're ready to take your life back. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Know that we Cathlete's are here to support you.

Brenda

A good starting place might be doing Leslie Sanson's 1 miles walks, and work your way up to 2 and then 3 miles, using her old DVDs (cheap) which have no "boosted walking" (which is jogging.) Walking in place is easier than outdoor walks-you avoid the "waddle." Another great thing for you would be pool workouts. And I'd highly recommend consulting with a physical therapist before you get started. Some "knee rehab" targeted strengthening is probably in order before you do anything. As well as learning some do's and dont's given your condition.
Then you can start to tackle Cathe again if your knee gets better. Kickboxing may not be good as there is a lot of piveting of the knee; also all body weight is placed on one knee when you are kicking with the other. Again, not so good.
The good thing is...you're only 48!! You can do this!
Beth

I agree. Rehab is very important post knee injury because if you muscles are not strong in your legs you can tear it again. Walk away the pounds is a good start also the original frim , once the knee heals. Old fashion leg extensions and stretching helps.

I don't post often anymore but you are brave to reach out for support. Lots of support and good advice here ... and mine is ... always be kind to your self. Don't say "mean" things to your beautiful soul. Find help for your injury and if surgery is needed, your rehab will become part of your workouts as well.
I'm 60 years old and have had many injuries and set backs and find I now have to modify some of Cathe workouts to stay injury free but I can't give her up either. :cool: Cathe inspires me to be the best me I can be for today.
Check out her beginners workout calendar in the form. I'd give you the link but I have to run to take my DS (he's 17) to the YMCA.
Colleen

Good for you for having the courage to start the road to recovery and health. I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time, but this is a great place to come for support and advice.

Janie, I think you rock! You are an inspiration to all of us. That said, I think we need to be careful giving out advice regarding calcium. I think everyone's case is different and should be evaluated by a doctor. Personally, I am small framed and have had a diagnosis of osteopenia. It's important for me to get enough calcium, therefore I do take calcium supplements. I don't take the "high powered" ones (Fosamax, etc.), but I do take a daily dose of Calcium Citrate that has Vitamin D and magnesium.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say about Calcium Supplements. As with everything, consult your doctor(s)!

More research is needed before doctors know the effect calcium supplements may have on your heart attack risk. The calcium supplements that some doctors are concerned about are those that contain only calcium — not supplements that combine calcium and vitamin D or multivitamin supplements. Calcium from food sources, such as dairy and green leafy vegetables, is not a concern.

Current recommendations regarding calcium supplements for people who have, or have risk factors for, osteoporosis haven't changed. As with any health issue, it's important to talk to your doctor to determine what's best in your case.​

Janie, I think you rock! You are an inspiration to all of us. That said, I think we need to be careful giving out advice regarding calcium. I think everyone's case is different and should be evaluated by a doctor. Personally, I am small framed and have had a diagnosis of osteopenia. It's important for me to get enough calcium, therefore I do take calcium supplements. I don't take the "high powered" ones (Fosamax, etc.), but I do take a daily dose of Calcium Citrate that has Vitamin D and magnesium.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say about Calcium Supplements. As with everything, consult your doctor(s)!

More research is needed before doctors know the effect calcium supplements may have on your heart attack risk. The calcium supplements that some doctors are concerned about are those that contain only calcium — not supplements that combine calcium and vitamin D or multivitamin supplements. Calcium from food sources, such as dairy and green leafy vegetables, is not a concern.

Current recommendations regarding calcium supplements for people who have, or have risk factors for, osteoporosis haven't changed. As with any health issue, it's important to talk to your doctor to determine what's best in your case.​

Thank you JeanneMarie for setting me straight.

Calcium was an issue for me personally and my doctor recommended me not to take it any longer. I needed a replacement of calcium for my aging bones and had to find something for me in the way of foods on my own. I do take a multivitamin that is low in calcium.

For those of us that do have a problem with calcium tablets, I like to eat amaranth leaves, kale, Chinese broccoli, Swiss chard, collard greens and rapini/broccoli rabe and make green smoothies out of them. Of course when I add a banana to this the banana helps absorb the calcium. I have to add wheat grass to it too, because it's so healthy, but not a lot of calcium in it. LOL. However as JeanneMarie has already said, it's important to consult your doctor first before taking or replacing your calcium in any way.

Also don't forget about fish, fruit, seeds, nuts.. many are even more rich in calcium. So are some of the cereals out there, but I don't eat processed foods. Check it out on the internet, there are many foods rich in calcium.

Janie

Last edited:
Janie,

Thank you for taking what I said in the spirit that it was intended. I hope I did not come across as setting you straight. I just thought it needed to be said that everyone is different. You pointed that out and that's great.

Again, thanks for your helpful advice and also for being a great role model for everyone here! :D

My understanding of a torn meniscus is that it is like a hard piece of " shoe leather" that will not heal back together by itself. it may stay in place or may pop up and get in the way of normal knee function with even regular movement.
How did you get this diagnosis? did you get checked by an orthopedic surgeon or have some kind of imaging studies? if it is actually torn, it is unlikely to heal by itself. as someone said earlier, it's a fairly simple arthroscopic surgery and would allow you to become active again. This may be necessary before you can start working out in earnest....

Hey guys.. Thanks for all advice and sweet words of wisdom and encouragement. I appreciate it more than you know. Yes I have had an mri and have been seen by an orthopedic surgeon. He reviewed the mri and did additional x-rays. I am literally bone on bone and the x-rays show the rt knee has very little space and will soon also be bone on bone :-(! He gave me anti-inflammatory meds and prescribed pt also some inserts to wear. As of now the meds are working OK. Most days I can walk normally. :) I have yet to start the pt but I am still tempted to try to strengthen on my own. He did say that my weight was a major contributor in this whole thing. As if lol. Anyway, we shall see how this turns out. Thanks again everyone

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.