Starting a De-Clutter Check in!

jonahnah

Cathlete
I'm embarking on a MAJOR de-clutter campaign iin my house starting Feb. 1 and I'd love some company and inspiration! :)

I've decided I have way too much STUFF that my family just doesn't need or want and that should be passed along for others to enjoy. Some things should just be disposed because it's useless to anyone else (How many eyeshadow kits/lipsticks do I really need?)

So, my goal is to shed 100 items every week for 12 weeks minimum. Anybody want to join a de-clutter check in?? I'm not going to count individual pieces of paper, :p but I know I can get rid of things like toy cars, books, dvds, vhs tapes, kitchen utensils, clothing, college textbooks (from 20+ years ago--what am I doing w/ those?), ugly candles, shoes that aren't comfortable, stinky body lotions, dried up markers, etc. etc.

I decided on 100 items for me because it was enough to make a difference, but not so overwhelming that I'd put off doing it. :confused: Everyone can decide on his or her own goal or however they want to approach it.

I'm sure I'll be able to see a big difference by May 1, so anyone else want to join me in a check in? Pretty please?

I'm in. I don't know if I can do 100 items a week, because that would mean I have to keep track of stuff :p and mostly I just want it out of my house!

But I am in de-clutter mode too. I'm putting things up on eBay that I have around but have never used (plus, we just had to buy a furnace, ugh, and need to pay that off!) and I'm going through my closet to donate things that are nice but I never wear.

I was never one to buy knick knacks or stuff like that, but stuff that clutters up junk drawers, closets, etc....I bet I could throw everything out and never miss a thing.

OH! You've got my number! LOVE this idea!

I'm am such a DECLUTTER freak that my kids are afraid to let anything lay around, for fear that they'll never see it again! LOL

I'm going to shoot for a consistant pace of decluttering each week. I'm already pretty organized and have my home running pretty smoothly without a lot of 'stuff'. But there's ALWAYS room for improvement!

I've sold a few things, recently, on Craig's List and have had MUCH MORE luck and faster results than with eBay.....just in case you guys want to try that site.

I'm IN!

Gayle

I am in! I have already started the decluttering, but still have a long way to go. So I could use the motivation to keep going.

I have already done half of the clothes in my closet and kids and I cut their toy collection in half, but there is still so much more to do....like my basement:p!

I am already the de-clutter queen. I can help with tips and hints.
I do have my scrapbook stuff and kids toys yet to work on, so I am in.

Like Gayle, I live pretty simply and neatly. A place for everything and everything in it's place, but sometimes I ignore my own advice. But again, I'm in and willing to help

ellie

This is great! Please understand that I do regular purges of outgrown clothes, toys and such, and we got rid of a ton of stuff in our basement a few months ago, but this time I want to dig deeper into ALL our collections/closets/drawers/cabinets--even, GULP--THE ATTIC! :eek: I've already told the kids and they are on board too.

Gayle, I'd love to hear more about how Craig's List works. I've sold a lot of workout dvds that I didn't use/like on Amazon, (and gave away dozens more!) but the Amazon commissions are pretty high.

So, I'll start a weekly check in beginning this Sunday 2/1 for whoever wants to join in w/whatever goals they have in mind. (I don't plan to post a 100 item tally each week for myself though--don't worry!)

Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's ideas and progress.

Johahnah,

First tip- write a list of where you want to start and what you want to get rid of. Say it's your laundry room closet for example. Do you need 18 different household cleaners??? Either use them up or give them to someone.
With a list it makes the job more do able and less overwhelming.

Junk mail- open all your mail right over the trash or recycle bin, If you don't need it, trash it immediately. If it's to be paid, put it in to be paid folder, if it's a reciept put it in the folder/file for reciepts.

I am looking forward to hearing tips and ideas. I have toms of stuff to sell but have never done it before. Is it hard or too time consuming??? Where should I start???

Thanks ellie

I laughed when I saw this thread because I just started this today in my home! I've been dealing with some anxiety issues lately and really think some of it has to do with all the crap that's in my house. I'm definitely in for the check-in, would love to hear some tips, and more about Craig's list. I have a ton of stuff to get rid of and credit card bills that need to be paid off once and for all!

I am inspired!!! I will join you all :)

Jonahnah- grest idea (thanks)
Ellie- great advice. I will start with my hall closet, then next the closet in the office (gulp of dread)

Can I start Sunday during the Superbowl? LOL kidding ;)

Tomorrow is the big day!!

Have you made your lists???

Just a few tips to get started on ideas.

1 Keep a change jar near where you and family come in and put things down. Drop all change in jar right away. This way it doesn't end up in the laundry, kitchen counter (gross) or bottom of your purse.

2 If you keep magazines for one or two articles, tear the article out and put in a folder marked.. Recioes or home improvement etc, then recycle the magazine. Don't let them pile up.

3. Buy a few drawer dividers and organize your junk drawer. Pens, pencils, note paper, etc. You can find something in a minute.

4. Unless it was the Favorite teddy bear or has other sentimental value- get rid of the stuffed animals. They multipy!!!! And they are dust and dust mite collectors.

5.Most important. Start in one place!!!! If you start ripping apart closets and drawers you end up with one big overwhelming mess and you tend to just put it all right back to get it out of the way!!!!

I need to go thru all my scrapbooking stuff!!! This is my one big area (besides kids toys) that I could use some help with!!!!

ellie

Oh, this puts me in the mood to get rid of things and to clean! Last summer I cleaned out the basement and got rid of toys that my girls no longer use and clothes that don't fit. The plan was to take them to the Salvation Army, the Good Will, etc.

The bags are still sitting in my garage, piled high. :eek: My husband is mad because I junked up his space and he doesn't want me to "clean" anymore. (However, he was the one who was supposed to take the bags and donate them since I was the one who decluttered.) Hey, I should be the one who is mad. HA HA.

I'm still in the mood to organize...Maybe I should put the stuff in his closet.:D

My house doesn't need to be decluttered right now but I wish I could get my hands on my mothers house:confused: She is the one who buys all the things you named at yardsales and brings them home. Ugly things, useless things and things she doesn't even need. If I have a bag ready to go to goodwill, she needs to look through it first. If I tell her I dropped coats off to the coats for kids program she wants to know why I didn't give them to her....HELLO....are YOU cold? Can you buy your OWN coat? I think these kids are more important then you can your fetch it gather as many useless things as possible! LOL

Lori:)
Oh...and she even buys used toys at yardsales and brings them to me. I don't need them...we already have way to much:rolleyes:

same mom?

My house doesn't need to be decluttered right now but I wish I could get my hands on my mothers house:confused: She is the one who buys all the things you named at yardsales and brings them home. Ugly things, useless things and things she doesn't even need. If I have a bag ready to go to goodwill, she needs to look through it first. If I tell her I dropped coats off to the coats for kids program she wants to know why I didn't give them to her....HELLO....are YOU cold? Can you buy your OWN coat? I think these kids are more important then you can your fetch it gather as many useless things as possible! LOL

Oh...and she even buys used toys at yardsales and brings them to me. I don't need them...we already have way to much:rolleyes:

Are we sisters? (lol)
Mary

Mary...seriously, when I go to my moms house I want to start taking things down! One time when I was there, my SIL and I started going around the house and hiding little ceraminc animals away:confused: LOL Those things are nasty! Her house is starting to look like an old ladies house:rolleyes: Things everywhere, ugly,not ugly,fridge full of pics of kids I have never seen before.....etc.........she still has my carebears on a shelf in one of the rooms (and all other kinds of stuffed toys) and Im 30 yrs old!

This sounds like my MIL's house!! She has so much crap in her cabinets & closets, I'm afraid to open them. Last time he visited her, my DH spent 4 hours cleaning out his mom's 'fridge and kitchen cabinets throwing away expired food, dried up jars of mustard from who-knows-when and bug infested bags of food. YUCK!! :confused: Too bad, 4 hours wasn't enough to complete the job...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.