Standing chest work??

FiddleFit

Cathlete
Hello! I need some ideas from this educated crowd of creative exercisers!

I have an elderly lady in my resistance training class who is unable to get down on the step, or back up again. This means she cannot do most chest work. She does do wall push ups, but that's about all. Do you know of any other chest work she can do that doesn't require her to have to lie down? She can use small dumbells and a band.

Thanks for any ideas!!
Sandra

The first thing I thought is standing chest flies....They are done in lots of pilates videos using light dumbbells....but now that I think of it, I don't see why you couldn't do any chest exercise standing (or sitting in a chair) instead of lying on your back. She could use the band or dumbbells for them...what ever is more comfortable...or just to switch it up if that works best. If she uses light dumbbells then she will have to use self-imposed resistance, though.

Anyway...just a few thoughts...HTH!! :)

Hello! I need some ideas from this educated crowd of creative exercisers!

I have an elderly lady in my resistance training class who is unable to get down on the step, or back up again. This means she cannot do most chest work. She does do wall push ups, but that's about all. Do you know of any other chest work she can do that doesn't require her to have to lie down? She can use small dumbells and a band.

Thanks for any ideas!!
Sandra

Dont forget the weighted ball squeezes & in & out press...Cathe does them in an earlier DVd but I cant recall which one(Cathes sitting)..I actually use these w/ my rehab client - works her nicely + improves arm strength

Try isometric holds where she presses her palms or clasped hands together. Increase the length of the hold and reps as she improves.

The isometric squeezes, etc, are good examples but how do you do standing flyes? The weight must go against gravity in order to work the muscle group and even if you flye your arms together, it would still isometrically work the shoulders... It would be the incorrect joint action. Let me know if I am missing something so as I am curious to hear this - especially now since I can't do exercises on my back (pregnancy) and I miss my chest flyes!

Clarissa

The isometric squeezes, etc, are good examples but how do you do standing flyes? The weight must go against gravity in order to work the muscle group and even if you flye your arms together, it would still isometrically work the shoulders... It would be the incorrect joint action. Let me know if I am missing something so as I am curious to hear this - especially now since I can't do exercises on my back (pregnancy) and I miss my chest flyes!

Clarissa

Clarissa- I do seated Pec Dec Flyes (you can stand)

Light weights - arms in goldpost position Slowly bring them together & return to open- keep elbows at shoulder height or a tad below...You can also do them with a band under the step this way-

If theres more ways to do them I hope someone posts about them!!

She could do standing push-ups against the wall.

Monica

Oh I know you can do pec dec due to the angle of gravity and how they are designed to solely work the chest, but I am referring to free weights...?

I think band work would be best (as standing dumbbell work doesn't really work the chest much, more the delts).

She could also progress her wall push-ups as she gets stronger, if you have a stable bar or chair that she could use.

Can you put on more risers to elevate the step to almost table or counter height and have her do pushups at that angle?

If you have a post/pole on the floor or wall, stand with your back against the wall and loop a band or tube behind the post. Pushing the band away from the post as you stand facing away from the post will recruit your chest muscles.

(Traci it's ME that has the isometric ball chest work. Did it last night!)

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the replies and discussion. I KNEW I could count on you guys!

The problem I find with simply doing usual chest work in a vertical position is that the shoulders can get worked as much, if not more, than the chest. I agree that the chest is still working, but I don't want to tire out this woman's shoulders too much. I really liked the ideas for the isometric holds, like Cathe does with the medicine ball in Muscle Endurance. The seated pec dec flyes are another great idea, especially for this woman, who won't be using much weight.

Kathryn, what kind of band work would you do for the chest, in the vertical position? I'm all ears......

Amy, I like the idea of the band with the post, but that's not feasible in our group class environment. I'll bet it works well, though!

Clarissa, when I was pregnant I continued to do supine chest work by going on an incline against my stability ball. Cathe does this in SS/PP, I believe. Also you could put your step on an incline and do them that way.

Thanks everyone! I've got plenty of ideas to bring back to class next week!

Sandra

Sandra do you have enough tubes or bands for everyone to have one? You can do the same thing without a post-- partner up, face away from each other with your bands looped around each other's band. You just have to be careful they are really looped, and no one loses hold of the band! ;)

having just finished a pregnancy i was in the same boat. i continued chest work but did it on an incline bench. is there access to that in your class?

having just finished a pregnancy i was in the same boat. i continued chest work but did it on an incline bench. is there access to that in your class?

Yes, it is what I do now, but it puts extra stress and focus on the shoulders - with the incline I mean. I have been doing them however and feel pretty good about them. Once the baby is born, I will go back to supine all the way!

Clarissa

I did standing chest flies with the band wrapped around my back and then looped around each hand.

Or, arms straight out to the sides, band around my back with ends looped around each hand (like flies without the bend at the elbow).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.