Stand Up Mixers

HaveFun

Cathlete
Ok, so now that the baking thread got me dreaming up new recipes to try and I see that a stand up mixer is a must have, anyone have suggestions as to which one is best? Wishful thinking has it that I may get one for Mother's Day/B-Day :D TIA

i have 2 kitchenaids - a regular one and a pro one.
i love them both.
got the 1st reg-sized one but found it wasnt quite enough for some of my bigger jobs. dh surprised me w/ the bamf!:D he just wanted bigger batches of snickerdoodles!:p:p

i have heard really good things about the cuisinart stand mixer

happy shopping!

Thanks, Kate!! I will look into these. I figure might as well go for the bigger capacity now, also. I appreciate your professional opinion :D

I own a Kitchenaid Pro 500. I bought it from Amazon.
LOVE it!
It's one of the best kitchen tools I own. I highly recommend it:D

DF gave me a purple Kitchen Aid mixer a few years ago. I love it! And I haven't even had the chance to really put it to work on breads and other dough hook goodies. Can't wait!

suzanne, my smaller one is pink! my girls and i love it!
my biggun' is gun metal gray - the serious work horse!:p

Oooooh, Kate, you're giving me goosebumps! After I get married I'll have a nice big household to cook for - teenage boys and all! DF is very much on board that kitchen equipment is what I want. He gave me a gorgeous All-Clad frying pan and a Ken Onion chef's knife for Xmas last year.

I'd love one of those take-no-prisoners mixers but I'll probably have to demonstrate need first. :eek: Shouldn't take too long though.......

I've ILL'ed some of those bread cookbooks and can't wait to dig in and try some things!

The KitchenAid. I have the regular one. I'd love the big boy, but I really don't have a need for it. And regular one comes in all sorts of pretty colors. Mine is cream/off white. Boring. DH got it for me several years ago. Its built like a rock, so I don't think it will die so I can get a pretty one.

Nan

I highly recommend the KitchenAid. Mine is dark red and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

I use it alot more than I ever thought I would and it looks so cool sitting on my counter...:eek:

Last edited:
Another recommendation for the KitchenAid! I got a nice gray one with silvery flecks in it for a wedding present 11 years ago. I hope it lasts as long as our marriage! :p Those things are rock solid and a great investment. I cook a lot and love mine!

suzanne, those boys are gonna be so happy to have you cooking & baking for them!:D:D

further enabling -
i have some different attachments that let you slice veggies, grate cheese, etc... love this thing! makes such short work of dinner prep! my 7 & 4 yr olds love to send food thru the chopper! (safely;))

you can get them pretty reasonably on sale at kohls, and if you have a coupon the savings are even better! they have the attachments too!;)

the only real difference is size....

all the attachments work on all the models

just depends on how much dough you want to make & spend!:p

DF has already mentioned the ravioli attachment so I'll take that as a hint LOL!

The only thing I'd recommend for your Kitchen Aid search is.... what's your favorite color? :D

Heh...I just bought that darn Power Tower. I'll give DH's wallet a break and take my time choosing a mixer. Maybe I'll buy it for myself for Christmas. :eek:

Cathe's gotta quit coming out with stuff!!

Be careful not to purchase the Artisan Kitchenaid -- get either the Classic or a Pro. The Artisan lacks power and it has plastic gears. You can buy reconditioned kitchenaids on ebay that are less expensive but work just fine if you are looking to save money.

Tobermory

suzanne, i want the pasta attachment SO BAD!!!
havent caved yet but i think you just enabled me!:D

Oh let me help enable you! :p
I have the pasta rollers and cutters and love them. My nieces had a blast helping me make pasta with them. I only use them a few times a year, so they were a bit of a spurge, but I got them when KitchenAid had a 25% off all accessories rebate a few years ago.

I also got my KitchenAid 600 pro on a $50 rebate from amazon, for $300, so I got quite the deal at $250 with shipping after the rebate. I love the 600 because when I do bake I like to do a fair quantity at once.

The colors were limited at that price, but I wanted the medium grey (sorta gun metal) anyway. So see what you can find at Amazon (or wait for a 30% discount code at Kohl's).

One more note, I have heard the ravioli rollers aren't worth it. Typically rolling the dough into sheets and cutting them with a pizza cutter after pressing between your "lumps" to seal them is actually easier and works better. But, that's just what I've read, I have no experience with them to back that up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.