Stand Up Mixers

Be careful not to purchase the Artisan Kitchenaid -- get either the Classic or a Pro. The Artisan lacks power and it has plastic gears. You can buy reconditioned kitchenaids on ebay that are less expensive but work just fine if you are looking to save money.

Tobermory

Thank you because that is the one I was looking at - I will look some more :confused: BTW - Macys seems to be having a good sale on them with free shipping over $125 (just enabling :D).

Be careful not to purchase the Artisan Kitchenaid -- get either the Classic or a Pro. The Artisan lacks power and it has plastic gears.

I remember several complaints on Amazon reviews. There were also complaints for the model that has the lift bowl. Is that the same model?

I chose mine based on the reviews @ Amazon. I'm happy with my pro model:)
I love that it has the power to soften sticks of butter when I make cookies.:cool:

I remember several complaints on Amazon reviews. There were also complaints for the model that has the lift bowl. Is that the same model?

I chose mine based on the reviews @ Amazon. I'm happy with my pro model:)
I love that it has the power to soften sticks of butter when I make cookies.:cool:

The one I have is the Artisan. It does not have the lift bowl. I more than likely did NO research before I bought it. At least I don't remember doing any...:p

I've had it for about 3 years now and use it at least 3x a week. I haven't had any problems yet. And I find it powerful enough. I've made double batches of oatmeal cookies with it. Creamed three sticks of butter at once. I've even used it to mix 3+ pounds of ground beef, eggs and bread crumbs for meatloaf. I guess it all depends on what you are going to use it for.

I have a KitchenAid stand mixer, food processor, and blender and LOVE them all. You can't go wrong with this brand! Happy Baking!

KitchenAid!!! I would LOVE a colored one, but these never wear out and mine is 25 yrs old. Back in the day I had the choice of...white or white:D But really, that´s OK, because it is great!

everyone is recommending kitchenaid and so am i! i just finished researching before asking dh to purchase me this new toy as i have clearly demonstrated the need after two years ofa hand mixer!! coincidentally, he just told tonight that he placed the order... but now im wondering what color! no way he picked something cool, im sure its either white or stainless. but, hey, no matter, i will live vicariously through you - get a pink one =)

wendy

Yes, another vote for KitchenAid. I have a beautiful cobalt blue one that I got 23 years ago and it still works perfectly. You can't say that for many appliances. Mine is the larger kind where the bowl moves up and down, not the smaller one that has the head of the mixer rotate up. I use it 2-3 times a week, and some of that is heavy-load stuff like bread dough kneading.

As far as the accessories...I looked at the pasta attachments, but ended up getting a separate pasta roller/cutter that had its own motor (Imperia). If nothing else, the height at which you work made a big difference to me. The mixer arrangement would have been too high for me to comfortably hold thin strips of pasta dough feeding in to the machine (without moving the mixer to a different location).

I already had a Cuisinart, blender, etc, so I didn't really find any attachments that had added value for me. ( I know someone that grinds her own meat with it, that could be useful if you use a lot of ground meat).

i know, gotta love him! we ordered through aafes on sale, with a coupon, and theres a mail-in rebate for a free attachment, too! i can choose the rotor slicer/shredder or the food grinder... which one, chef? too bad i couldnt choose the ice cream maker, but that will be next =)

wendy

Oh, man, the ice cream maker!!!! Must.resist! :D

Snowbelle, good point about work height. I'm a shorty and that definitely matters. Of course DF is a 6 footer so I could just have him do the pasta!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.