Squat Rack or Power Rack?

petramom

Cathlete
I was figuring out what squat rack options there are, and came across volumes of discussions (mostly on bodybuilding.com) about power racks. It looks like a giant cage. My best guess is it is multi-level rack, but I am very confused about exactly what it does or if I need one. I want to squat and press without a spotter. So I'm guessing I don't need a power rack, but was wondering if anyone could tell me?

I have a power cage and I love it. It has adjustable saftey catches that go the width of the cage. So if you have to drop the weight, you can do so safely. It also has a chinup/pullup tower.
315165682.jpg

Here's my squat rack, it also has safety bars they're just not being used in the pic. Plus it makes a good climbing tree for my hubbys little baby:)

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 101
I own a power rack/cage. Mine is made by Hoist and it has plate loaded attachments for lat pull down, rows, ankle attachments for leg/abductor swings.
I also use if for assisted pull ups. Mine has the spotter cross bars too.

It was a hefty investment and requires a lot of space. It's worth it! I love it
e6ebd93c.jpg

fitfairy and fit44 - how much did you pay (if you don't mind sharing that info)? fit44 - where did you get yours? I'm guessing there's some serious assembly required for these things. And a big shipping charge.

So you can use a standard power rack for squats, presses (with a bench) and chinups/pullups? And can buy accessories to do additional exercises (like fit44's)?

My set-up with the plate stacks, bench, and all the attachments was $3500.
That included delivery and set-up. There is no way we could have assembled that beast!!
We found a local Hoist dealer that offered discounts for cash purchases. If we ever wanted to trade up, the store would buy our equipment back.

Here's my squat rack, it also has safety bars they're just not being used in the pic. Plus it makes a good climbing tree for my hubbys little baby:)

That is soooooooooo funny and cute!!! I didn't know what you were talking about at first and then I noticed 'little baby" sneeking along the top! :p

I own a power rack/cage. Mine is made by Hoist and it has plate loaded attachments for lat pull down, rows, ankle attachments for leg/abductor swings.
I also use if for assisted pull ups. Mine has the spotter cross bars too.

It was a hefty investment and requires a lot of space. It's worth it! I love it

I am insanely jealous about this one.

I just realized what Karen meant by her "hubby's baby" crawling on the power rack. I'm glad I saw the cat, as I was a bit concerned ... :confused:

Karen - where did you get yours?

So a power rack is the same as a squat rack except bigger (and can have attachments)?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.