Solution to decision paralysis re: diet choices

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi all,

So first off thanks to everyone who gave me great feedback and input on my recent thread about The Simple Diet, decision paralysis, food purism, etc. You guys really always do such a great job of helping me sort out my thoughts. I love these forums :)

I am posting this in a separate thread because I wanted it to be easy access to any others who maybe are lurkers but had the same concerns. This solution won't work for everyone but hopefully it will help some.

Step 1: stop reading non-fiction about food. This means news articles, blogs, books, etc. A love story about a chef? Totally fine. But anything that is intended to be persuasive writing (or even, not) is out. I already know all I need to know to eat healthy. I really don't need to learn anymore, and learning/taking in more just adds to my stress, confusion, and decision paralysis issues.

Step 2: Focus on the basics of healthy eating - things that all nutrition camps agree on, such as not drinking soda pop. Not eating McDonalds burgers. Avoiding high-sugar coffee drinks, pastries, trans fats, etc.

Step 3: Focus on avoiding processed food as much as possible while still being realistic about my own personal life and schedule. What this means for me is that if I'm going to have an insanely busy week, then it's ok to buy some Lean Cuisines to bring to work for lunch, and it's OK to grab some of my Svelte protein shakes from Walmart to have for breakfast. It's not ideal, but it's better than trying to trick myself into thinking I'll have time for cooking, when I know I won't, and then all that will end up happening is I will buy Starbucks lattes and pastries in the morning and then go to fast food for lunch.

Step 4: Eat meals. If I look back, I can see that I really do do best with 3, MAYBE (if I'm doing a super hard workout or something) 4 actual meals. Snacking only serves to put me in the mindset of thinking about when the next time I'm going to eat is. I don't feel satisified w/ small meals. Give me a breakfast, lunch, and dinner of 500 calories each and I do so, so so much better.

Step 5: Try out simple recipes from all sorts of different cookbooks. For me, this means using some of my paleo cookbooks (which the ones I have offer more templates than recipes which is great for me) along with some of my Weeknight Fresh & Fast style cookbooks along with my Cooking From The Farmers Market along with my Mark Bittman How To Cook Everything apps.

Anyway - again, I wanted to share this in case any one out there is stuck on what might help them get out of constant barrages of thoughts about food, how to eat, what to eat, etc. :)

Magic Bullet=Consistency

I think we all look for the magic bullet when it comes to diet and exercise. It's really simply consistency, what you do 85-95% of the time. Like Cathe says "every workout counts". If I have a plan to do a certain amount or types of workouts in a week and my life gets in the way of that, I let it go and start fresh at the next opportunity to get back on the wagon. The worst that usually happens is the next workout I feel more motivated, energetic, & stronger. With eating, consistency is also key. One "bad" meal doesn't make you fat or give you high blood pressure. I've read all I really need to about food & nutrition and it all comes down to what Michael Pollan says, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." IMHO you conscientiously elaborate this concept in your post!

I love both of these posts! Thanks for keeping it real! Combined with a realistic approach to nutrition and exercise is also a realistic expectation of what our bodies will or will not look like. The physique of a fitness model isn't going to happen without the right genes, youth, and hyper-focus on food. Since I have none of that on my side, I'll settle just for being healthy.

Sandra

I love both of these posts! Thanks for keeping it real! Combined with a realistic approach to nutrition and exercise is also a realistic expectation of what our bodies will or will not look like. The physique of a fitness model isn't going to happen without the right genes, youth, and hyper-focus on food. Since I have none of that on my side, I'll settle just for being healthy.

Sandra

Well you can overcome age & genes, and do it with hyper focus on nutrition. I see women in their late 40's & 50's transforming from skinny fat to figure fitness model on the body beast for women forum.

You can also overcome predisposed illness through nutrition. Food can be healing, and it can also create disease.

It's not always about how you look. Some people are hypersensitive to gluten and dairy and don't know it.
Paleo may be restrictive, but I look at it as a way to determine what food makes me feel good, and what makes me feel like crap.

There are some figure competitors who look good on the outside but are a wreck on the inside, and there are figure competitors who know their body and respect the health aspect of bodybuilding.

I don't view diet purism as a negative. Some people need to focus on nutrition this way for overall well being.

Last edited:
Well you can overcome age & genes, and do it with hyper focus on nutrition. I see women in their late 40's & 50's transforming from skinny fat to figure fitness model on the body beast for women forum.

You can also overcome predisposed illness through nutrition. Food can be healing, and it can also create disease.

It's not always about how you look. Some people are hyper sensitive to gluten and dairy and don't know it.
Paleo may be restrictive, but I look at it as a way to determine what food makes me feel good, and what makes me feel like crap.

There are some figure competitors who look good on the inside but are a wreck on the inside, and there are figure competitors who know their body and respect the health aspect of bodybuilding.

I don't view diet purism as a negative. Some people need to focus on nutrition this way for overall well being.

Purism as perceived by someone is just relative IMO.

I am predisposed to type 2 diabetes from my mother side and high blood pressure from my father side but I am refusing to accept it as a fate by neglecting nutrition. Thanks God I love having fun working out. Yes it is not always about looking symetrically svelte:p;):eek:

Just saying...;)

Last edited:
Hi, I do have on my mom side 2 young cousins died from blood sugar, heart problems, my grand parents too, so I try to be healthy I'm scare to that.

Hi, I do have on my mom side 2 young cousins died from blood sugar, heart problems, my grand parents too, so I try to be healthy I'm scare to that.

Do not be afraid to live your life. You are doing very well making sensible food choices and exercising. You will be fine. Do not think too much about it. I know it is easily said than done. Enjoy your healthy life:):):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.