So where are all the good chick flicks?

FourAM

Cathlete
OK I have been waiting for a good girl movie for a while now and NO Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 will not do ( no offense to anyone) But I would like one I could at least try to relate to being over 30 and all. I mean I know it is totally over the top with the poor southern accents but I cant help but watch a piece of steel magnolias eveytime it is on. And this july that was everyday...no I didn't watch everyday but when I saw it on the thought did cross my mind. Am I totally alone here. I hope not or this would be really embarrassing:eek:. Anyhow I need a good movie with good actors and a believable plot. Is it too much to ask. Oh yeah and preferrably about women, at least some women. Sorry about the rant but had to get it out...:D

Here's my list:

Ghost World
A Room With A View
Frida
Run Lola Run
The Hours
All About Eve
Babette's Feast
Ladies in Lavender
Calendar Girls

There are a few on there I have not seen.

Here is my list of ones I can think of right now...
Terms of Endearment
One True Thing
Steel Magnolias (of course no good southern girl would leave this one out)
The Scarlet Pimpernel ( Made for TV yrs. ago, a period movie with Jane Seymour)

I know there are more but I guess I have brain freeze.:eek:

Oh, and it's on TCM right now..."Now, Voyager." The best makeover movie ever (but not advisable to anyone trying to quit smoking!:p).

Oh, and it's on TCM right now..."Now, Voyager." The best makeover movie ever (but not advisable to anyone trying to quit smoking!:p).

OMG I LOVE Now Voyager!

Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.

Chick flicks I dig (serious and not so serious, nothing new though):
Moonstruck
Keeping Mum
East/West
The English Patient
The End of the Affair
This is My Father
Desperately Seeking Susan
Saving Grace

All about my mother (Todo sobre mi madre)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185125/

It's a Spanish film with English subtitles. I loved it. :)

Like water for chocolate - Mexican film with English subtitles, less believable plot, but very good adaptation of the book.

Would Kill Bill count? It IS about women. :p

Last edited:
"Then She Found Me"

This is a great chick-flick that my hubby took me to on my birthday in June. He dreaded it but even he was crying during parts of it:) It stars Helen Hunt, Bette Midler, Matthew Broderick, and Colin Firth. It's based on the book of the same name although it is very different from the book. I actually preferred the movie which is unusual for me.

It was a limited release and should be out on DVD soon.

Also, "Sliding Doors" is a great British movie with Gwyneth Paltrow. Now I'm going to have to go watch it again:)

Cassie

I KNOW! That very last scene in front of the window where they light up. I remember rolling my eyes and thinking 'That SMELLS romantic..." You are right, though. Best makeover movie ever. My favorite scene is when Bette so calmly and serenely straightened out her controlling mom after she got her confidence. Hmm. Love that moment.

Have you seen the PBS version of "Pride & Prejudice" with Colin Firth? It's lovely! I got it from my library a couple of years ago, but it's also now in my Netflix queue.

I KNOW! That very last scene in front of the window where they light up. I remember rolling my eyes and thinking 'That SMELLS romantic..." You are right, though. Best makeover movie ever. My favorite scene is when Bette so calmly and serenely straightened out her controlling mom after she got her confidence. Hmm. Love that moment.

My fave chick flick comes from TV. It's called Lucky Seven and it stars Kimberly Williams-Paisley and Patrick Dempsey.

I TIVO'd it off of Hallmark Channel first before I bought the DVD.

If you're looking for great chick flicks and you don't have a problem with subtitled foreign films (you won't regret making an exception, if you do, I promise).

1) From China (Mandarin), RAISE THE RED LANTERN. It's about a young college student in 1930s China who's father has died, leaving her broke. She becomes fourth wife to a wealthy man because she has nowhere else to go. She's utterly unprepared for the cutthroat competition for favors that exists between the other wives and she's not been made aware that the girl who will be her servant hates her because she'd been given to understand SHE'D be made Wife #4. Ooops. Each woman has a small house of her own, all arranged around a courtyard (so they can all see each other's comings and goings). The competition between the women is heightened every night at dusk when the women are all made to stand at their front doors and watch as a crew of men place a big red lantern at the front door of the house of the woman the master has elected to sleep with that night. You never actually see the husband's face because he's not the real prize. It's being the winner that's the big deal because the woman selected gets pampered to the hilt (massages, etc.). Poor Wife #4 doesn't understand what a minefield she's stepped into and has to learn the hard way that people aren't always what they seem and it doesn't pay to form alliances too quickly. This movie is a trip and ends up a huge train wreck. Gong Li, a huge star in China, is at the absolute height of her beauty and talent here and will blow your mind.

2) THE PRINCESS AND THE WARRIOR is from Germany, filmed in the cinematic town of Wuppertal. It's about a young woman who was born and raised in a mental institution where she, just like her now-dead mother, is employed and where she also lives. She rarely ventures outside the cloistered grounds and has no hope of meeting a normal man until she's run over by a gasoline truck in town. The man who actually caused the accident by darting in and out of traffic, trying to get away from a bunch of employees of a convenience store he's just robbed, hides under the very truck where the girl is lying. He slits her throat and uses a straw to get her to breathe when he realizes her throat is obstructed and he stays with her all the way to the hospital. While all this is happening our heroine has plenty of time to gaze into her hero's beautiful blue eyes and ponder a future with this gorgeous man. After she recovers she goes searching for him (a sizzling hot Beno Furmann who, in addition to his gorgeous eyes, has the most amazing backside... if you care about these things...), expecting a reaction very different from what she gets... There are moments where you wish Girlfriend would just pull back and you'll be yelling at the TV "NO!!! Don't do it, girl." This movie is awesome, everyone in it is great, the twisted plot is excellent, and the music will stay with you. The movie features the star of and is directed by the same guy who did Run Lola Run. Franka Potente is a wonder and that Benno Furmann.... ummmmm. You will love it. I'm crazy about the ending (as are all my co-workers to whom I've loaned my dvd).

3) One of my my personal favorites is the English-speaking romantic comedy MEETING VENUS. Glenn Close is slightly miscast here but she triumphs, nonetheless.... She plays a huge operatic star at odds with the conductor in a production of Tannhauser in Paris. Everyone associated with the production is from all over the world and everyone hates everyone else. Everyone REALLY hates the American tenor because he's American. It's a complicated love story but the real joy is watching the conductor overcome an endless series of obstacles to become the one thing he wants most: To go from obscurity to internationally respected genius. It's a wonderful movie for lovers of romantic comedy, opera or for anyone with an interest in labor/management issues.

Last edited:
My new favorite chick's flick: The Family Stone. I LOVE it.

Also love:
Steel Magnolias (duh)
Stealing Beauty (beautiful scenery)
One True Thing
Notting Hill
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Crush (A great Andie MacDowell movie set in England about three girlfriends in their 40s)
Love Story (a classic)
Bridget Jones (1 and 2)

I could go on and on...

Last edited:
Ooh, try "A Walk on the Moon", with Diane Lane, Viggo Mortenson, and Liev Schreiber. I totally love that movie, it's grown-up sexy and has loads of atmosphere!

OMG, I can't beleive nobody's mentioned "The Women" yet!! The CLASSIC chick-flick!! It's from 1939, B&W, an all-female cast, but all they talk about and fight about is men! It's a hoot, trust me! :)

From Amazon: "The story finds a group of catty, competitive friends destroying reputations at social gatherings. The dialogue sparkles, Joan Crawford's performance as a husband stealer is still a classic..............George Cukor directs an all-female cast in this catty tale of battling and bonding that paints its claws Jungle Red and shreds the excesses of pampered Park Avenue princesses. Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Joan Fontaine, Mary Boland and Paulette Goddard are among the array of husband snatchers, snitches and lovelorn ladies."

If you're looking for great chick flicks and you don't have a problem with subtitled foreign films (you won't regret making an exception, if you do, I promise).

1) From China (Mandarin), RAISE THE RED LANTERN.

OMG,I LOVE that movie! The first time i watched i was in my teens. I purchased it a couple of years ago and now i pull that one out alteast every couple of months! Great movie!

ok,i don't have a recommendation of a chick flick 'movie' (off the top of my head)but i will say that im watching Grey's Anatomoy and i can't stop watching it! I just started season two and its FANTASTIC! :eek::eek:

If you like period/historical movies, you have to check out the BBC's "North & South". Me and DH watched all of it (mini-series) in two nights. ;) I also highly recommend Pride & Prejudice, but think North & South moves a little better.

Now, Voyager is one of my all time favorites too.

And that line..."Shall we just have a cigarette on it?" I LOVE IT!!!!

ahh....here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KGiwGn1d8

Nothing says unrequited love/lust like having a man light two cigs and giving you one!!!

OMG, I can't beleive nobody's mentioned "The Women" yet!! The CLASSIC chick-flick!! It's from 1939, B&W, an all-female cast, but all they talk about and fight about is men! It's a hoot, trust me! :)

The are remaking "The Women" with Meg Ryan comes out in September.

Umm, my favorites...
Pride and Prejudice (Firth, Elle version)
Steel Magnolias
While You Were Sleeping
Miss Congeniality
Center Stage
Fried Green Tomatos
Dirty Dancing (almost any dancing movie)

27 Dresses was pretty good.
That's all I can think of for now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.