So ... SNM ... modifier or no modifier?

, I'm bothered by people who're bothered by the prospect that there won't be one, b/c I can't understand why it's in any way problematic.

Well, at the risk of repeating myself ...

Fact is, a workout that I can't use because I fear injury is a useless workout.
Like others, I can no longer do high impact. Not by choice but by circumstance.

I've worked out with Cathe a long time. One of the reasons I've stuck with her is her knowledge of form and safety.

I'd like to continue working out with Cathe because I trust her expertise and love the quality of the workouts.

One of the ways I could do that would be if there were modifications that let me complete the workout in safety and confidence, guided by her experience, and still get the best results. (As opposed to just guestimating it myself.)

I'm not sure why that's hard to understand. But maybe this isn't really what you're saying you don't understand. :)

The bottom line is you're getting the best quality exercise DVDs available.

Actually, they're the best quality when they give you what you need.

I'm simply asking for what I need.

I seriously doubt Cathe's business will suffer if she doesn't have a modifier.

Perhaps. But think of how it would prosper if she did. :)

What I would dearly love to see is a modifier who ratchets up the impact of lower impact moves, who powers through the lower-intensity "breathing breaks" by continuing for several more reps the high-intensity intervals, and who kicks up the speed of the drill if speed is the point of the drill. I've seen Mindy Mylrea do that, specifically in "Interval Express", in which she performs select interval/s at a mid-range intensity, then designates one of her peeps to do a lower-intensity modification and the other of her peeps to go all-out.

I find that as I get acclimated to a specific workout I need less and less of the recovery segments because my legs and my cardio capacity have upwardly adapted to the workout's demands. Also, having been addicted to Cathe's plyo-style for so long and having built a great deal of power in all the major muscle groups, it takes a higher and higher (and often longer and longer) impact or speed overload to keep me in my training zone.

I personally do not believe there will be modifiers of any kind in Shock Cardio, at least as far as impact is concerned because the myriad individual differences among Cathe's customers can never be completely accommodated. I notice the thundering silence from SNM on this and other threads discussing the subject.

Man, I JUST WANT THEM TO GET HERE!!!!!

A-Jock

I have not had time to visit the Forums until last night.

When I saw some of the photos from STS cardio -- I freaked! I don't think this program is going to benefit me at all - I am afraid. Perhaps my opinion will change when I receive the workout set.

Leaping and jumping over steps loaded with high platforms looks like an injury in the making for any exerciser. I won't do that because not only am I 55 years old, but because it looks downright dangerous.

More and more I can see myself changing cardio because I can't/won't jump like a frog on a hot stove on huge steps but because I think the fast feet shuffles are not safe either.

All it takes is one wrong step or incorrectly missing the jump and you may be in the ER.

So yes a modifier would be nice, but I do not think there will be one which will turn off a lot of potential new customers,

I understand this is Shock Cardio and is supposed to be an extreme series, but a modifier would so benefit those of use who cant/refuse to do all that high, high impact.

After reading Cathe's comments in the Philadephia Enquirer about taking it down after 40, I really find her Shock Cardio to be -- shocking!

Last edited:
unfortunately yes

Unfortunately, yes it does sound contradictory.

I am hoping there are a few cardio routines I am willing to do.

There is no way that jumping up and down on 14 inches can be safe for anybody.

I would have nor will I ever attempt such a feat.

I want to be able to work out for a long time, not end up in a hospital having orthopedic surgery.

All I can say about some of the rehearsal photos is "Not Safe for Anybody"!

Hopefully Cathe will see our comments and note that these type of moves are a huge turn off for all but an elite minority.

quote]

Here is an easy modification for the exercise above that you mentioned:
Instead of using 4 or 5 risers, just use the step platform(0 risers), 1 riser, 2 risers, 3 risers, or more—it would be up to you.

I make modifications like this because I have had bad knees since my 20's (am 53 now). I'm one of the ones that don't mind her workouts without mods, as I always make my own. I think it would be hard for Cathe to make modifications to please everyone -- some people would say she makes the mods too easy, and some would say she makes them too hard, or some would say they don't even like the modifications she provides!

I recently purchased Cardio Hits on one of her specials. The back of the DVD case has a copyright of 1999, but, I think the workout was filmed earlier(???). Anyway, way back then -- over 10 years ago, in the Step Works workout she does a lunge move side to side(facing front) over the step. In her pre-workout chat where she gives her tips about reviewing the workout at least one time through, Cathe explains and demos 3 modifications for this move. Then in the actual workout she reminds us about these modifications. That’s one of the ways she has provided us modifications over the years.
I actually don’t use any of the modifications she provided in Step Works for the lunge move above, but, use another variation that works best for my knees. I have to figure out what works best for me, because I don’t expect her to individualize her modifications just for me! My knee problems aren’t the same as someone else’s foot or back problems, and I think it would just be tough for her to make modifications to please everyone.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes it does sound contradictory.

I am hoping there are a few cardio routines I am willing to do.

I would have nor will I ever attempt such a feat.

I want to be able to work out for a long time, not end up in a hospital having orthopedic surgery.

All I can say about some of the rehearsal photos is "Not Safe for Anybody"!

Hopefully Cathe will see our comments and note that these type of moves are a huge turn off for all but an elite minority.

Actually, jumping up and down on a 14 inch step (Box Jump) is safe for most people and is one of the most widely used plyo moves in our industry. We've actually used box jumps before in our workouts without any complaints, so I'm surprised this is brought up now. For example, we used them in Plyo Legs for STS and we used a 12 inch step with 4 risers I believe.

If you have a knee issue you can simply lower your step height to reduce the impact. But Box Jumps are only one out of hundreds of moves in Shock Cardio and to judge an entire series of 12 workouts based on one move gives a wrong perspective.

It does seem a bit contradictory, doesn't it?

There really isn't anything contradictory in what Cathe said in the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper. If you've ever done a newspaper interview you probably already know, what you really said and what gets printed are sometimes completely different or at least slanted in a different way than you intended. You have to remember Cathe was interviewed for an hour, but you only get to read a few seconds from the interview.

Boomers are really the first generation to continue working out and playing sports into their senior years. Yes, there will be medical issues for people who work out, but there are also many more issues for those who don't. Cathe's main medical issue was not caused by the impact of aerobics, it was caused by a skiing accident. Still, as Cathe has aged she has adapted and changed her workout routines. For example, when Cathe was twenty she would sometimes teach 6 classes in one day. This is not something she would even consider today. But this does not mean that Cathe has or will abandon all Plyo activities, it just means she has modified the quantity and selection of her workouts.This is why Cathe at 45 is in better shape today than most females in their twenties.

Cathe has always promoted balance in her workout philosophy and has produced countless low impact, core, strength training and stretch routines. This time around we're producing Travel Fit which uses low impact cardio and a stretch band, but still offers a very tough workout. The Shock Cardio step routines are along the lines of the step workouts we have made in the past.

As a company we will continue to produce a wide variety of workouts, but we can't please everyone with every release. Sometimes we will make Plyo workouts and other times the emphasis will be on low impact workouts.

Last edited:
Cathe has always promoted balance in her workout philosophy and has produced countless low impact, core, strength training and stretch routines. This time around we're producing Travel Fit which uses low impact cardio and a stretch band, but still offers a very tough workout. The Shock Cardio step routines are along the lines of the step workouts we have made in the past.

As a company we will continue to produce a wide variety of workouts, but we can't please everyone with every release. Sometimes we will make Plyo workouts and other times the emphasis will be on low impact workouts.

So ... no modifier for the other workouts then?

Thanks for your answer.

There really isn't anything contradictory in what Cathe said in the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper. If you've ever done a newspaper interview you probably already know, what you really said and what gets printed are sometimes completely different or at least slanted in a different way than you intended. You have remember Cathe was interviewed for an hour, but you only get to read a few seconds from the interview.

Boomers are really the first generation to continue working out and playing sports into their senior years. Yes, there will be medical issues for people who work out, but there are also many more issues for those who don't. Cathe's main medical issue was not caused by the impact of aerobics, it was caused by a skiing accident. Still, as Cathe has aged she has adapted and changed her workout routines. For example, when Cathe was twenty she would sometimes teach 6 classes in one day. This is not something she would even consider today. But this does not mean that Cathe has or will abandon all Plyo activities, it just means she has modified the quantity and selection of her workouts.This is why Cathe at 45 is in better shape today than most females in their twenties.

Great answer and well said!

SNM has not really answered the original question. If they had, maybe this thread would not have continued to this point, where they are responding to criticism which they feel is unjustified. It just seems odd to me. The original question was so simple and straightforward. Why not say "yes" or "no"?

Or if unwilling to say "yes" or "no" to the modifier question, why not say "we don't know yet"? Why not give some type of answer?

I agree-- only responding to certain comments in this thread and not answering the original question (which has been posed on several occasions and never answered) does come across as odd.

And by the way, is there a filming date set yet?

Phooey,
Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNM Videos
There really isn't anything contradictory in what Cathe said in the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper. If you've ever done a newspaper interview you probably already know, what you really said and what gets printed are sometimes completely different or at least slanted in a different way than you intended. You have remember Cathe was interviewed for an hour, but you only get to read a few seconds from the interview.

I think they have answered in the only way they intend to: If we need low impact, there are other workouts that provide that. But there won't be an option to modify to low-impact in Cardio Shock.

The indirect response takes some reading between the lines, but the answer is there. I would have appreciated a direct and simple response. But I'll take the one given.

What I don't understand is this:

Great answer and well said!

Why the cheerleading? SNM gave its answer. They're making the product they want. Some of us asking for modifiers will be disappointed. But we're free to make a decision as consumers on whether these workouts are for us. I have an answer, I'll make my decision.

Those against the modifier will be pleased (though I'm still mystified why that would make anybody any real difference). Still, I don't understand the need for the pokey stick from someone who didn't need the modifier.

I'd hoped the thread could stay civil. It did surprisingly well considering.

Thanks to all.

Um I don't think it's cheerleading or being uncivil. I think it's enthusiasm & excitement about the new workouts. I know after reading SNM's latest posts I'm more excited than ever! :D

The filming isn't even done yet. Perhaps SNM would give a quick synopsis of the finished product, i.e. modifiers available or modifications shown, prior to shipping of the preorder. Give the concerned consumer the chance to make a final decision on if the series is one they will want and use. I'm pretty sure if there are questions here that there will be questions from people buying from other Cathe outlets (collage, amazon, etc). Then if I felt as if the exercises are not for me, I could cancel my preorder - no harm. Or keep the preorder if it is what I want to do. I hope I am getting my point across.

I think they have answered in the only way they intend to: If we need low impact, there are other workouts that provide that. But there won't be an option to modify to low-impact in Cardio Shock.

The indirect response takes some reading between the lines, but the answer is there. I would have appreciated a direct and simple response. But I'll take the one given.

What I don't understand is this:

Why the cheerleading? SNM gave its answer. They're making the product they want. Some of us asking for modifiers will be disappointed. But we're free to make a decision as consumers on whether these workouts are for us. I have an answer, I'll make my decision.

Those against the modifier will be pleased (though I'm still mystified why that would make anybody any real difference). Still, I don't understand the need for the pokey stick from someone who didn't need the modifier.

I'd hoped the thread could stay civil. It did surprisingly well considering.

Thanks to all.

I agree! The question was addressed to SNM and it was a simple question that required a simple answer from SNM or Cathe. I think it's...what's the word that was used...I think it's more "nonsensical" for one consumer to basically hand slap another consumer for asking a question about a product she/he spent their hard earned money on. Yes, Cathe, SNM, & Crew spend a lot of time making professional and wonderful workouts (as do many other instructors/companies) while the fans & customers spend part of their hard earned money on these workouts. I too am looking forward to these workouts with or without a modifier, but again I say, paying customers should be able to pose a question or express disappointment (not the the OP was expressing disappointment) to Cathe or SNM on this forum without having their hands slapped.

I agree! The question was addressed to SNM and it was a simple question that required a simple answer from SNM or Cathe. I think it's...what's the word that was used...I think it's more "nonsensical" for one consumer to basically hand slap another consumer for asking a question about a product she/he spent their hard earned money on. Yes, Cathe, SNM, & Crew spend a lot of time making professional and wonderful workouts (as do many other instructors/companies) while the fans & customers spend part of their hard earned money on these workouts. I too am looking forward to these workouts with or without a modifier, but again I say, paying customers should be able to pose a question or express disappointment (not the the OP was expressing disappointment) to Cathe or SNM on this forum without having their hands slapped.

Sorry if I used a word that's too big for your vocabulary, gigi. Next time I'll try to keep my words 5 letters or less.

I didn't "hand slap" anyone. I expressed my opinion, just as most everyone else on this thread has done. And pretty much everyone has friendly about it with the exception of you. Just as customers "should be able to pose a question," customers should also be able to offer their opinions, you know, "without having their hands slapped.....by another consumer." :rolleyes:

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people posting here work for SNM...

If you mean me, I can only say I wish. I could use the employee discount. ;)

If you mean someone else, I can only say I'm jealous. I bet Cathe is a great boss. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.