So, I have a bulging disc...

upnorthchick

Cathlete
I just found out today, after having an MRI last week. I was so shocked that I forgot to ask which disc, so I really don't know much. A neurologist will be calling me in the next couple of days to set up an appointment.

I haven't had much pain. It's all on my right side, starting at my hinder :eek: Basically, if I stand still for too long, my right leg gets stiff, my foot goes numb and the bottom of my foot feels "prickly"-as if it was waking up from being asleep. Every once in a while I will get some lower back pain but that is rare.

Of course I'm addicted to working out with Cathe so besides not doing high impact moves (I modify quite a bit), my routine hasn't changed, including lifting weights (upper body) 3 times a week. Of course, after doing a little bit of research online, I wonder if I should be using heavy dumbbells?

Has anyone else had a bulging disc? What kind of treatment/procedure did you have to cure it/get rid of it? Did you have to stop exercising for a while? As you can see, I know nothing. I'm sure the neurologist will have answers but I want some "real life" experience stories.

I'm going on the Road Trip this year - WOO HOO - and this bulging disc of mine will NOT get in the way of that!! :p

TIA! Any words of wisdom would be great! Thanks for your time!!

Just wanted to send a hug your way. I struggled with a pinched sciatic nerve for 6 months last year, so I feel your pain.
Listen to your doctor's advice about exercise and when you have the green light ask for a physical therapist referral. I finally went to PT after the encouragement of others here, and it was amazing. It taught me so much about my body and helped me understand the mechanics behind my pain so very clearly!
Good luck! I pray it all turns out well!

Becky

Just wanted to send a hug your way. I struggled with a pinched sciatic nerve for 6 months last year, so I feel your pain.
Listen to your doctor's advice about exercise and when you have the green light ask for a physical therapist referral. I finally went to PT after the encouragement of others here, and it was amazing. It taught me so much about my body and helped me understand the mechanics behind my pain so very clearly!
Good luck! I pray it all turns out well!

Becky

Thank you for the prayers (and the hug), Becky! :D

chiropracter!!

I had a bulging disk, and the one thing that made it feel better was my awesome chiropracter. He isn't a bone-cracker -- he has a device that he applies to the area that is the equivalent of a hard flick. It causes the muscle to contract, and then relax, which then decreases the bulge. That plus ice and heat helped a lot, but it still took a few weeks to heal.

I was encouraged to maintain my exercise routine, especially the cardio, but to be careful on weights, especially for the back. No deadlifts for a long time, and make sure you have really good back support if you do heavier weights. So if you do shoulders, sit in a chair with a back and lean against it; when you are laying on your bench, put your feet up...basically, all the modifications that relieve pressure from the back.

Good luck!

I just wanted to offer some support. I have had 2 neck surgeries for bulging/ruputered discs in my neck C 5-6 6-7. I am assuming your problem is lower in your back since you have leg pain. All of my pain and numbness was in my left arm. I believe neck surgery is done more easily with a faster healing time than back surgery. I hope you get relief soon!!

I had a bulging disk, and the one thing that made it feel better was my awesome chiropracter. He isn't a bone-cracker -- he has a device that he applies to the area that is the equivalent of a hard flick. It causes the muscle to contract, and then relax, which then decreases the bulge. That plus ice and heat helped a lot, but it still took a few weeks to heal.

I was encouraged to maintain my exercise routine, especially the cardio, but to be careful on weights, especially for the back. No deadlifts for a long time, and make sure you have really good back support if you do heavier weights. So if you do shoulders, sit in a chair with a back and lean against it; when you are laying on your bench, put your feet up...basically, all the modifications that relieve pressure from the back.

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have been using ice and heat (prefer the ice). Thanks for the tip on the shoulder presses and the bench work! I've been using "pain" as my guide for all my cardio and lifting. I'm sticking with my workouts until told otherwise. At that point my husband will have to confiscate my Cathe DVD's because I won't do it willingly ;)

I just wanted to offer some support. I have had 2 neck surgeries for bulging/ruputered discs in my neck C 5-6 6-7. I am assuming your problem is lower in your back since you have leg pain. All of my pain and numbness was in my left arm. I believe neck surgery is done more easily with a faster healing time than back surgery. I hope you get relief soon!!

Thank you, Susan! I have an appt. Tuesday-I am so glad they got me in so quickly- the neurologist comes up to the hospital in my area twice a month and he just happens to have an opening. Hopefully, they'll figure out my treatment and symptom relief soon, my bulging disc is in my back but it such a "pain in the neck!" HA! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.