SNM- One-Rep Max Tutorial?

I remember reading that if you can't do 6, or do more than 10, then the 1RM results are skewed...

I've read this for years ...Actually I've never used a 1RM calculator (lots are out there on the web) that even allowed you to enter a number of reps greater than 10.... It is skewed..... I did 16 reps (not intentionally) & the 1RM came up unreasonable high (I couldnt lift the weight at all - so I waited & did 8 reps & 1RM # was different bu many many pounds. ~ Personally I've decided to not use the calculator until I find the 1-10 sweet spot - its more accurate that way. I was really surprised when I saw this calculator allow so many reps for input.

Traci when you say "sweet spot" what do you mean? Are you just going to try it and then lift heavier as the cycles go on?

I have the same question about what weight amount to put into the calculation as well. I've only done a few tests but no calculations yet but I imagine that putting one DB weight total or both DB weights total (does that even make sense?) will give me a pretty accurate figure. I'll just have to remember if I used a single or 2 weight input!

And Lorrie is right, we will not be lifting our 1RM weight in any of the STS workouts. :)

Last edited:
Traci when you say "sweet spot" what do you mean? Are you just going to try it and then lift heavier as the cycles go on?

Finding my sweet spot just means getting better at choosing weights that by the 10th rep I am truly unable to perform even one more rep with good form.
For me its just not as easy as it sounds.... I'm so accustomed to using weights that I can complete with a Cathe DVD- mainly endurance...so I've just struggled finding that 1-10 rep max for calculating purposes.
Whats been happening is I choose a weight and can fatigue around 12 or 13 but then you have to allow the muscle about 5 min to recover to test again... by the time that 5 min has passed I usually just want to get my daily workout started.... Its just a matter of time & focus .... Neither of which I have a ton of these days! :rolleyes:

Hope I answered your question.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.