Slow & Heavy and Pure Strength which do you prefer?

intensitylisa

Cathlete
:) I just ordered the Pure Strength and Slow & Heavy video collections and wanted to know what you think of these videos. What can I expect from them and which one do you prefer? I am going to include more weight training in my workout schedule because I like the results I am seeing thus far. :D

I really like them both so much I don't know if I prefer one over the other? I'm using them both right now in a rotation as a matter of fact. I personally like slower and heavier lifting so I'm in my glory right now on this rotation with both of them. I'm one of those people that will see slightly better results with heavier lifting, and I'm able to increase strength gains with slower, heavier lifting.

Enjoy your new workouts, they are great! :)

Donna

Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

RE: Slow & Heavy and Pure Strength which do you pre...

I just did Slow & Heavy for the first time today. I haven't tried Pure Strength yet but I have it also. WOW! I really didn't feel like I was working too hard but my arm is shaking while my hand is on the computer mouse. Something tells me I'm going to be loving Cathe tomorrow!;)

I was wondering what gives more definition, S&H, or PS? Any opinions?

Blessings,

Denise

I agree with Donna on S&H. I think it depends on how much time you have. Each S&H vid is an hour long. PS is great too. Did that help you decide? :+ PS moves quite a bit faster than S&H. I find I can go a lot heavier with S&H.

Denise, I can't tell you which gives you better definition but you'll defitely be able to lift heavier after doing a S&H rotation. I find I'm not as sore the day after doing S&H, but sure notice the difference in the long run! HTH!

Sherry http://www.gif-seite.de/vorschaubilder/smilies/laola.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/Peanut7

Hi Denise--

I have both series as well, but have to say I prefer S&H. I have had the most muscle gain w/ this series.

I am always on the quest to maximize muscle gain, since I don't build it easily, and found that S & H was optimal for this.

That's not to say I don't like the PS series, it is good too. The legs portion of this workout is absolutely killer! And, its a good solid well rounded strength program.

But for hard core muscle strength building, I would go w/ S &H.

Good luck,
Lynn

Sherry, I just looked at your pictures over at Picture Trail. I'm so totally impressed I can't believe. You've got arms I haven't seen on women who do the Firm.

I'm curious, do you do Cathe only? what is your workout in general.?

Regarding the strength vids....I think Slow and Heavy is a little boring. I can't lift as heavy, so I prefer the Pure Strength. Also, I think the Slow and Heavy Legs is awkward. For some reason, I find 16 count lunges unusual. I think a lunge isn't really condusive to a slow and heavy move of 16 counts. Nor are calf moves. If the exercise is a flowing move with mid-air movement like lunges or step ups, or has limited range of movement, the 16 count doesn't seem to work. Just my experience.

Everyone has their opinion through their actual experience with these tapes.

I'd love a new slow and heavy tape with maybe an 8 or 10 total count rep. That'd be perfect.

dawna

RE: Slow & Heavy and Pure Strength which do...

Hi Dawna!

I was just searching the forum looking for compliments!!}( I really am kidding. I wanted to let you know that those Firm's are sitting on my shelf for sentimental purposes only. I used the Firm up until about five years ago when I discovered Cathe through the Firm Forum. I pretty much do Cathe exclusively. The differences I've seen between Cathe and the Firm are like night and day. I do all of Cathe's weight workouts. I do very little cardio. I think one thing that has helped my upper body is power yoga. I try to fit it into my routine twice a week. Again, thanks for the compliments! :7
Sherry http://www.gif-seite.de/vorschaubilder/smilies/laola.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/Peanut7

Hi again Sherry,

wow, that was nice to hear from you so quickly!!! Well, what you say is very interesting! Do you do a a *little* cardio? Well, your arms are certainly evidence that you do Cathe instead of Firm!!! I'm considering doing only strength for awhile. I find the concept intriguing, well, because I hate cardio!!! My strength is well....strength, not endurance or cardio.

I just joined the Firm Direct Forum and I'm not entirely clear why I did such a thing! I don't find that intelligent discussion is even possible over there!!! I myself am almost 49, and I suspect that you Sherry are probably over 40 like myself---so when I saw you with a bod like that....well, that's quite a testimony to Cathe and to Power Yoga.

I'm interested to know just how little cardio you do, so I can do the same!!!! I'm thinking of doing just one 1 hour and 20 minute session a week. That is climbing Thumb Butte here in Prescott Arizona, which is a straight up climb. Wow, is it tough. So, I thought maybe doing that once a week would be enough. Do you think so? I can't do Cathe cardio because it's WAYYYY to tough for me. Plus, I dislike complicated Step aerobics, nor can I even do them.

By the way, do you think that the Firm style weight lifting limits one's ability to lift heavy? I definitely think so. The aerobic weight training keeps you from developing your strength ability. I think that once you separate your cardio and strength, you will open your ability to progress with each to the sky....whatever your capacity is....

thanks for responding...nice to hear from you

dawna

Hi Sherry,

Would you mind my asking how heavy you lift on S&H and PS, you do have awesome shoulders. Do you think a lot of your definition also comes from clean eating?

Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.