Slimming the waistline

Maybe it's an old wives' tale, but decades ago I heard that oblique exercises keep your waist large, and I haven't done a single oblique exercise since. It sure makes ab work a lot shorter, because Cathe does so many oblique exercises. ;) My abs seem to be in good shape without them.

I really don't think turning 30 is an excuse Jennifer b/c I'm on the same boat. I've been working out since HS. I noticed once I turned 30 my body starting reacting differently to what I was eating and my method of exercise. In my 20's (not trying to brag :eek:) I really had great definition and my abs were flat.

I've heard body chemistry/metabolism changes every 7 years or so. For me it seems like every decade--I was like you Chastity in my 20s, where I could eat whatever I liked without a care in the world. I gained more than 30 lbs when I turned 30, & about 15 lbs when I turned 40. Like I always say, my body is an ongoing science experiment. :rolleyes:

Nance, weighted oblique work will build your waist. A high rep, zero weight routine (sorry, more time added to your workout :p) will keep it lean & trim (although frankly I don't think this is something you need to be losing sleep over). I only work obliques once a week. Abs twice a week, with the heaviest weights I can stand.

Gidget, it really does seem to be one or the other! In the past when I gained weight it always went to my stomach. This time around my stomach stayed flat & the weight went to my butt & thighs (god help me, I'm turning into my mother! :eek:). Seems like my body is changing & maturing. On the one hand I kinda like the more curvy, feminine look it's given me. On the other hand, I could do without the cottage cheese on my a$$. :mad:

Nancy: I haven't done a lot of oblique work in the last year or so (mostly 'cause I'm lazy and do anything to keep my abwork as short as possible ;)), and I've noticed that while I have some definition in my transverse abdominus (I think that's the muscle that runs up and down the middle of the stomach, yes?), I have the love handles that cause that lovely muffin top. My sides are a little more (ok, a lot more) "doughy" and soft. I wonder if it's because the muscles underneath them aren't as worked and therefore the skin/fat just sorta hangs over them and aren't stretched out enough, but then I keep thinking in my head that there's no such thing as spot reducing, so even if I did work my obliques more, there's no guarantee those love handles would go away anyhow.

It's all very confusing ;).

I'm like you guys, I'm apple shaped...when I was 60 lbs heavier on a five foot frame (pre-weight watchers), my shape was a beachball with skinny toothpick legs and thighs. Went from a size 18-20 to currently a 0-2.

I have to reiterate diet as well for losing weight around the midline. For me, I can eat lots of sugar and still lose weight, but anything wheat product related (cereal, bread, pasta) makes me bloat up and gain like crazy. So you'll just have to play with your diet as YMMV. Also, don't forget fiber and water intake!

Another useful site to check out is http://www.figureathlete.com While I'm not as hardcore about getting as cut as they are, they talk about figure "faults" like being short waisted and muscle groups to work out to help restore the balance. I remember them mentioning that in addition to working on your abs, it's good to work your shoulders/back as well because adding definition there helps define your waist by exaggerating the hourglass curve in towards your hips.

Anyways, hope that helps.

I will say though that what works best for me now is k-boxing and lower ab work. I really hate floorwork abs. I do it twice a week or so but I have neck and shoulder issues so I just really don't enjoy it. After a k-boxing workout I'll do some sets of knee ins on a bench and weighted lower leg lifts. Another great ab exercise is decline sit ups...those are my fav :)

Chastity

I am 45 and found that my body (waist/core) responds amazingly well to lower ab work 2x per week (see above poster) + the kickboxing type punches (& overall workouts).... My core (minus the lower pooch;)) is actually my most defined body part....as everyone else has said- nutrition is key here too.

You could try 2 kickboxing workouts per week for 30-60 days....You might be amazed!

janiel, I do those in cathe's butts and gutts... will that also help the love handles. I never had those til menopause! :0)

Another vote for no sugar and only good carbs. That's the only way I ever see good results. I do abs about 3 times a week, just whatever Cathe does. I watch my portions and eat clean. Usually I can have some sweets, but right now, after Christmas I am staying away all together.

I wish I was like one posters sister who can just take a couple of bites and then put it away... I do better on nothing at all, the longer I stay away the more my sweets cravings disappear. I have found that a serving of unsweetened dried fruit does the trick for me when I would like something sweet.

By the way, someone mentioned taking CLA. what is that?

I'm interested in your one month experiment, let me know how it went!

Alot may also depend on your body type or genetics. I gain weight in my abs last and lose it there first. I can go from mild lovehandles to no lovehandles at all with 2 weeks of clean eating, but losing the saddlebags. I can eat clean for 2 months and they dont budge!

my transverse abdominus (I think that's the muscle that runs up and down the middle of the stomach, yes?)
The muscle that runs up and down is the rectus abdominus. The transverse abdominus is the muscle low on the abdominals, that acts like a girdle to hold things in (it's worked with things like dead bugs and plank work, and doesn't really show).

Lori, you should read Chad Waterbury's articles over at FigureAthlete.com. He's all about workouts for women that won't result in a thick waist and he gives great advice.

Waistline

Lori, you should read Chad Waterbury's articles over at FigureAthlete.com. He's all about workouts for women that won't result in a thick waist and he gives great advice.

Me too! I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 100 pounds and work my butt off and my waistline is the hardest to trim. Ever since I turn the big 40 my shape has slightly change. It so fustrating to me because I'm going into my old habbits on doing cardio 7 days a week in order to try to loose or shrink the waistline and at the same time I'm shrinking all the muscle I had work so hard on getting. So fustrating! I always try and sike myself up and tell myself ok Lourdes youve had 5 children and 2 of them where twin you look good for someone who's had 5 children (Working on #6) that will help.

Lourdes

MommaPew, I am JUST like you! I can go for days eating clean, but if I eat just one little piece of something sweet, its over for me. I just can't stop. The sugar is like a drug....seriously. I can't stop!!! People at work make fun of me because I never eat the doughnuts or other junk they bring in for breakfast. They don't understand that if I eat it I'll be eating junk for the rest of the day and then a couple more days. They think I have such good willpower!!! HA! I'm just better off not eating anything bad....but then...especially a week before my period comes, look out.

I was thinking....I wonder is it one or the other? If you don't have hips then you have to fight that pouch? No...that can't be it! LOL The reason I say this is b/c two of my friends have flat bellys, all the time! No matter what they eat or when and one of them as had 3 kids in the last 6 yrs. The other one is 15 weeks pregnant with her 2nd and STILL not showing! I swear I popped out as soon as I found out with my 2nd. But both of these girls have more hip then me (of course cause Im like a ruler to) and my other friend. I also wanted to add that the only reason I knew my other friend was bloated that night was b/c she brought it up, claiming that she looked like she was pregnant:confused:
So Im going to try a little experiment and get back to you fine ladies! Im going to give myself a month, in a certain calorie range of clean eating, no night time picking and some good 'ole ab work and I will come back to report:)

Lori:)

Lori,

I'll trade my hips for your abs. (I have the hips and less of the stomach.) I always thought it would be easier to wear a looser shirt to hide the belly, but it's kind of hard to hide the hips. :( Maybe shoulder pads will come back in style...then I'll be a little more balanced. :p

MommaPew, I am JUST like you! I can go for days eating clean, but if I eat just one little piece of something sweet, its over for me. I just can't stop. The sugar is like a drug....seriously. I can't stop!!! People at work make fun of me because I never eat the doughnuts or other junk they bring in for breakfast. They don't understand that if I eat it I'll be eating junk for the rest of the day and then a couple more days. They think I have such good willpower!!! HA! I'm just better off not eating anything bad....but then...especially a week before my period comes, look out.

That is so me! I used to get judged for doing the all or nothing approach, people would say I should have some sweets so I don't feel deprived, but the problem for me is in the 'some' I don't think that concept exists in my brain, and I finally decided that, like you I'm just better off not eating anything than trying to do moderation.... And knowing that the week before the period is harder still, really helps me to stay frim too.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.