Skinny Bitch

For someone whose read it, is the language just obnoxious the entire time? I've heard it's pretty vulgar, which is the only reason I haven't picked it up yet. Not that I'm a total prude or anything, I just didn't want to read something that sounded like it was straight from the halls of middle school. Is it pretty well put together? I'm hovering on adding it to my cart.

OMG, Liann, the language is hysterical!! I laugh out loud! Yes, I guess you could call it vulgar at some points, but I just love the straight-forward attitude of the authors. It's like they're giving you a good, swift kick in the butt! ;)

Allison

It's not the vulgarity as much as the credentials, of lack thereof of the authors who are known to be a bit confused about the facts that concern me. If this book interests you do know there are other titles out there you should also read. ;-)

Beavs--
I would have to agree. It's important to remember that the authors are NOT doctors, nurses, health professionals, professors, etc. They are former models who are "self-educated" as the book says. Take what they say with a grain of salt. But I can't deny that it's interesting (and hilarious!) reading....

Allison

I read the book and enjoyed it, but I do agree that there are more informative and accurate books out there on veganism, like Eat to Live, Becoming Vegan, the RAVE diet, etc.

For those with kids who hate veggies, or anyone interested in fun vegan cooking for that matter, have you heard of Vegan Lunchbox? It's a great cookbook. The author also has a blog, well it actually started as a blog and then she made the cookbook. She photographs the adorable and healthy lunches she make for her young son. Here's the url http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

I don't exactly *need* another vegan cookbook, but my absolute favorite cookbook author, Isa Chandra, has a new book out that I MUST have. It's called Veganomicon and it looks sooooo cool! Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Veganomicon-Ultimate-Isa-Chandra-Moskowitz/dp/156924264X

Amy

>I recently read about some new cookbook (sorry, can't remember the >name) that focuses on recipes for getting kids to eat more veggies
>(usually by blending them or mashing them and 'hiding' them in some
>other recipe. I think there was a recipe with mac and cheese with >something like squah in the mix (though I could just be dreaming up >that last part).

Kathryn - Might this be the book by Jerry Seinfeld's wife? I saw something on HGTV or one of those channels about it. She even puts veggies in brownies and cake. Looked cool!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I read (most) of the book and it was hilarious to me, but I could not make myself read the chapter on the animal slaughtering. I am a big animal lover and wish I could go cold turkey and become a vegan, but whenever I have tried before, I have a hard time getting enough protein. I don't like tofu and you can only eat so many beans, also the fake meats are strange to me. What do you who are vegans eat mostly for protein? The Skinny Bitch writers have a cookbook coming out this winter called "Skinny bitch in the Kitch"!

Oh goodie - I am glad you tell me that they are coming out with a cookbook!!!

Allison - You must tell us what you think about meat once you finish the whole book! :p Personally, I have travelled through certain places with these big animal farms and it is certainly an eye-opener to put the 2 together now.

xoxo, denise :)

I do have to say that I think that they referenced and quoted most of the stuff that they provide an education on...such as the splenda, nutra-sweet, sweet-n-low stuff.

And I found that most of what they say seemed to NOT conflict with the theories and philosophies of Dr Furhmann.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I am capable of making errors. :D :D

xoxo, Denise :)

I am sure that it's not the best informative book (I owe few books and health and vegetarian diets) but for a change, I really feel like getting it. It's different and seem funny and the price is cheap. I want it! I laughed so much just reading in Amazon... I always have serious books... i need something more relaxed. If anyone has unique books like that, let us know.
Thank you Alicia :)

>I do have to say that I think that they referenced and quoted
>most of the stuff that they provide an education on...such as
>the splenda, nutra-sweet, sweet-n-low stuff.
>
>And I found that most of what they say seemed to NOT conflict
>with the theories and philosophies of Dr Furhmann.
>
>Please correct me if I am wrong, as I am capable of making
>errors. :D :D
>
>xoxo, Denise :)

Denise,
You're right--they reference everything that they provide stats and info on. I also noticed that one of the authors has a masters in Holistic heath--so I do believe that they at least know SOME of what they're saying!! :)

I'm halfway through the book now. I was actually crying during the part where they describe the animal slaughtering. It's really hard to hear--much easier to ignore.

Yes, it is somewhat vulgar, but very straightforward.
It was written by young women to young women. I could not get my 17 y old daughter to read Fuhrman's book, but she read this, and that's a good start. She was not a junk eater, but since she read the book she makes better choices. Maybe even will read Fuhrman...

>Ok, so I'm back from lunch and I have Skinny Bitch in hand!
>I'm a quarter way through...man this book is amazing. This may
>sound naive, but I had no idea Splenda was so bad for me...
>

>
>Allison

I really liked this book! I wasn't surprised to hear about Splenda. Every time I've ever tried it, I've gotten terrible headaches. You know that can't be a good sign!

The book was really an eye opener for me.

Seriously, Allison...isn't it easier to ignore and close our eyes to these animals aspects??? I really don't like to think that all of those things are done just to feed ME! It seems rather selfish to me. Also, I work around animals and know that they do have feelings regardless of what some say. :-( :-(
xoxo, Denise

I was close to a Chapter (Book store) and couldn't help it and bought it. I read few chapters. I agree about the language and that they are not doctors.

But wow they make sens! Anyhow, I am lovin it. It's not for everybody may be because of the language, but I think it's funny. No, they are not doctors, but I don't preach doctors. I don't even like doctors. I am more into natural remedies and that your body is made to heal. In emergencies doctors are great.

Anyhow, this is off the topic. I love the authors. Love the book. Especially when she says about the natue of the animals in the wild, while we can't do the same. Therefore, we are not made to eat meat. I believe human nature is vegetarian. But we were programmed to believe the opposit and this book describe that very well. I am so glad i bought it.

It's soooo funny... i have many books from doctors and reputable authors about health, and they are for vegetarian diets, but the get boring. this one is lots of fun.

I love suggestions of good books like that.

Whole grains, nuts and vegetables each contain more than enough protein the human body requires - even without even having to eat beans or tofu.

The whole "protein" thing is another myth. There is no such thing as "protein deficiency" unless maybe if you starve yourself or live on a diet consisting only of SIMPLE carbs. When people die of starvation it's due to fat and not protein loss.

Americans are protein obsessed and actually consume far too much animal protein, which is actually at the root of many health problems (heart disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity, osteoperosis, etc.). One reason is that animal protein is highly acidic while our bodies should be alkaline.

I grew up eating meat and dairy and eventually cut out a meat from my diet and now dairy too! The most difficult thing to give up was cheese, btw. And admittedly, I'll still eat it on "special occasions" as a delicacy but it's no longer a staple of my diet.

Think about it: Horses, Elephanths and Giraffes are all large, muscular animals - and they are herbivores! Yet no one ever asks where they get their protein from. ;)

Whole grains, nuts and vegetables contain more than enough protein that the human body requires - even without even having to eat beans or tofu.

The whole "protein" thing is another myth. There is no such thing as "protein deficiency" unless maybe if you starve yourself or live on a diet consisting only of SIMPLE carbs. When people die of starvation it's due to fat and not protein loss.

Americans are protein obsessed and actually consume far too much animal protein, which is actually at the root of many health problems (heart disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity, osteoperosis, etc.). One reason is that animal protein is highly acidic while our bodies should be alkaline.

I grew up eating meat and dairy and eventually cut out a meat from my diet and now dairy too! The most difficult thing to give up was cheese, btw. And admittedly, I'll still eat it on "special occasions" as a delicacy but it's no longer a staple of my diet.

Think about it: Horses, Elephanths and Giraffes are all large, muscular animals - and they are herbivores! Yet no one ever asks where they get their protein from. ;)

"Think about it: Horses, Elephanths and Giraffes are all large, muscular animals - and they are herbivores! Yet no one ever asks where they get their protein from. ;) "

This reminds me of The EAT TO LIVE book where Dr Furhmann says something similar and it is soooo very true! Think about Gorillas, etc all they eat is greens and they are enormous.

These books certainly have spoken to me, I am just stuggling with changing my family over to the ideas, especially my husband who grew up on a farm and raised his own cows for dinner.

I would like to still eat eggs that are free-range and feel confident that they are free-range...not just a stamp on the carton to get me to buy them. I guess I am going to have to raise my own eggs NOW! Boy like I don't have enough jobs to do already! :p :p :p

Everything with a grain of salt - - here is another review that is totally different-------------so don't get too turned off my meat. My ancestors used to hunt buffalo and wild game that lived in the regions and so its not like humans have ever probably lived entirely on a plant based diet - although I bet there is definite truth in trying to eat more organic meats without the antibiotics, pesticides, ect.......

Review:

I couldn't have said it any better than this review I read on line by a woman named URSULA HIRSCHKORN. Following is an excerpt:

The premise of the book is to tell it like it is, rather than sugar-coating the stark truth - that if only we ignorant grease munchers would educate ourselves about the food we put in our bodies, we would be so grossed out by it, it would be a pleasure to live off organic beans, pulses and tofu.

But what qualifies these two Californian air-heads to provide this education? Freedman proudly trumpets that she's a "self-taught know-it-all", while Barnouin has a degree in holistic nutrition, whatever the hell that is. Not exactly experts in the field of weight loss.

This is perhaps how they came to their laughably simplistic theory, that the secret of weight loss is just to eat healthy food. Oh if it were that easy, we'd all be size eight and they'd never have been published, killing two birds - and I don't mean them - with one stone.

The book spouts an extensive list of no-nos that you must avoid in order to become a "skinny bitch", including all the tired old suspects: booze; sugar; sweeteners; fat; caffeine; dairy; and refined carbs.

In a nutshell, everything that makes our short, brutish lives that bit more bearable.
But what would they know about making life more bearable. Not for them the drudgery of a rain-soaked school run, only brightened by the prospect of eating the kids' leftovers.

They have all the time in the world to scour boutique organic stores for hard-to-find meat, dairy, egg, chemical and taste-free (OK that last one was me) healthy food, but most of us are lucky to find the time to dash to Sainsbury's.

These pampered LA princesses work hard to make us feel guilty for trying to make our lives a bit easier, making a trip to the supermarket sound more hazardous than a tour of duty in Iraq. They sanctimoniously lecture us on the cancercausing chemicals in wine, and the nasties lurking in diet sodas.

But where they really have an axe to grind is with meat eaters. This is when the real agenda of the book is revealed and it moves effortlessly from being potty-mouthed advice on how to adopt a fat-busting healthy diet, into a diatribe against eating meat.

It appears that scientists and archaeologists have been deluding themselves with the idea that all those charred animal bones that have been dug up around human dwellings since we lived in caves actually mean we are meant to eat meat.

Oh no, Ms MA in holistic nutrition knows better. According to her cod science, our blunt teeth and alkaline saliva point to our vegetarian origins.

The skinny bitches then launch into a scathing attack on meat eaters, calling anyone who thinks they can lose weight while eating meat a "moron", and dismissing the protein-laden Atkins Diet as "the dead, rotting, decomposing flesh diet".

Please girls, don't insult my intelligence. Just because you choose a certain lifestyle doesn't mean you've discovered the secret of simple weight loss.

There are so many reasons we get fat - depression, pregnancy, genetics - not just because we eat meat. I bet I could still pack on the pounds on a vegan diet if I really put my mind to it.

This isn't so much a diet book as a propaganda pamphlet for veganism, which is promoted with all the zeal of a convert.

Since the super-slim authors think they know all about the allure of junk food, they are kind enough to point us to a whole host of healthy alternatives. How could I stop my mouth watering at right-on recipe suggestions, such as taking a slice of tofu, soy butter, salt, pepper and ketchup, and hey presto you have yourself a perfect "fried egg" to stick between two slices of sprouted grain bread.

Who do they think they are kidding? I will take my life in my hands and stick to the real thing, laced as it may be with "antibiotics, pesticides, and steroids". Skinny Bitch is just the same-old diet rules repackaged in an obnoxious and bullying tone. It's not exactly rocket science to work out that if you want to lose weight, you have to junk the junk food.

But they're the morons if they believe that by giving up meat you will morph into a skinny bitch like them.

If the choice is between swopping a balanced diet of food stuffs I can get at my local supermarket, for a faddish, fanatical diet cult favoured by the queen skinny bitch, Victoria Beckham, I'd rather be a fat pig.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.