Silly Q about rice cakes..

chefling

Cathlete
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I would like your opinions.

There are two brands of rice cakes, Lumberg which has 70 calories per cake (0 fat, 15 carbs w/1 fiber and 1 protien) and Kroger brand which has 35 calories (o fat, 7 carbs w/0 fiber and 1 protein). Both list brown rice & salt as their only ingredients. If your goal is to lose weight, which would you choose?

(I have to eat gluten free so rice cakes are a staple).

Is there a size / weight difference? Are the Kroger's half the size of the Lundberg ones? That might be your issue.

No, they are the same size. The Lumberg taste better and heartier and may weigh more, I haven't put them on the scale but if I were to make a sandwich as I sometimes do then I would need to use two cakes. Lumberg does say they use "twice" the rice as most cakes and that may be why but if that is why then... is there nutritional value in brown rice that won't show up in either fiber or protein that would be worth doubling the calories?

I guess I'm not that familiar with grains and their benefits. I'm trying to avoid dairy, gluten, & sugar.

Honestly, I think you are micro-managing. Eat the Lumberg if they taste better. Unless you are eating lots of them (which it doesn't sound like you are) it won't make much of a difference at the end of the day ;)

I eat a lot of rice cakes. :) The Lumberg I really like because they are more dense - which is why they have more calories...more rice.

I think the reason you don't see the other nutrients go up with the Lumberg is because rice (even brown) doesn't have a lot of nutrition in it.

Still I love to munch on them. Safeway brand makes a salt and pepper rice cake that is my favorite!

Thanks eveyone for your replies. Perhaps I do micro-manage them but I counted and I had 5 of them today. <ouch> I'm thinking that may be what's keeping me from losing. At my age the extra calories aren't as easily ignored as they use to be.

Cindi, I'm going to check out the salt & pepper ones.. thanks for the tip.

Oooooh chefling, I don't know.....5 rice cakes in one day! :eek: I can't even manage one - they are just so styro-foam-y.

I guess someone's gotta eat 'em! LOL! :D

Good luck in your search.

Lundburg (or however it's spelled) uses "eco-farming" practices. It's not certified organic but similar. There are more sustainable practices used in their farming.

So it's more along the lines of buying organic vs non - almost.

If you go to the website I think they explain it better.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.