should I invest in STS?

nsaeolian

Cathlete
Hmmm should I invest in STS? I've been away from Cathe for awhile, and am looking to jump start my fitness but I don't often have over an hour to devote to my workout. Are they long workouts? And where do I buy the tower if I need it? I tried the new Firm Express DVDs but only ended up losing one inch in a month and hurting my knees .... I am 49, short and weigh about 114 lbs. ( Will weigh in on Saturday at WW ) Help!

Hi,

I would recommend purchasing STS. I absolutely love it. Yes, majority of the workouts are at least an hour and some in Mesocycle 2 & 3 are a little longer. I think the longest is about 68 min. When I did STS I did have any weight loss but I definitely gained strength and definition. Plyo Legs in Mesocycle 3 are awesome. Those last about 50 min. You work very hard in those 50 min. You can buy the tower on Cathe's website. I would also recommend having that if you're going to invest in STS.

Good luck in your decision.

Brenda
visit my blog at: www.brenda-4fitness.blogspot.com

I am just starting month 2 of the 6 month STS rotation and I am loving it. I do the first weight work out during the week and the other 2 on the weekend back to back (sat/sun). Because of the way meso 1 is set up (upper/upper/low), it works out well. This allows me more time for the weight work plus I can also add on cardio and abs if I want to! Over all though, as I go through the rotation, I am finding that I am slowly getting more efficient at the weight work outs. I make sure I have the weights I want to use written down ahead of time so I am better prepared to keep up with Cathe and crew.

I'm doing another STS rotation now (third full round), and every time I start again, I am reminded how awesome this program is. I have 1 more workout in Meso 1, I am eating OK now, recovering from a couple weeks of trying WW (that didn't go very well for me), I am seeing a little progress with the tape measure, my legs and arms feel more muscular and harder. Losing fat and weight for me has always been very tough and a slow process, so no weight loss yet, but that's pretty normal for me.

No other rotation I follow hardens up my muscles like this does, and in just one month! Can't wait to see what month 2 brings.

I printed out all the workout cards from the Workout manager years ago for my first go around, and I'm glad I kept them, I just draw lines to create a chart so I can use these same cards for about 5 or 6 total rounds of sts. I am not redoing my 1RM tests for subsequent rounds, The weights are close enough to being just right for me, and I make notes so I know if I need to increase or decrease them.

It was a great investment, never any regrets, I will likely use this program forever.

STS was the best fitness purchase I have made in years. I am on my fourth round, this time doing the undulated rotation.

I do not think you will be disappointed.

Just buy it now and get it over with because with the enablers we've got around here, you are ultimately doomed into buying anyway! Just a matter of time! :D;)

I have a different perspective.

For me, STS was overall a waste of money.

I just can't get into spending an hour on 2-3 body parts these days. (And after getting Supreme 90 for a lot less money, and finding the workouts very motivational---and 40-45-minutes long---I doubt I'll be into it for a while!)

I've never made it past week 2 of Meso 1, which was the Meso I thought i"d like the most because I enjoy circuit-style weight workouts.

I've previewed all the workouts, amd like the look of the Plyo legs--which are probably the only workouts I'll keep, unless I change my mind--but am not motivated by the others.

IMO, STS will give you great results...if you do it, so you'll have to ask yourself if you will.

STS is quite and investment to 'jump-start' your fitness. YOu might want to try some of Cathe's other weight workouts first. I'd recommend the weight work from 4-Day Split (This was what convinced me to invest in STS, as I was hoping for more of the same, even though I didn't like the cardio in the set, except for kickboxing, though it was a bit short), Muscle Max (for a full-body workout), Pyramids (for a two-day split), for example.

HTH!

Last edited:
I don't own STS. I think you might like 4DS better. Its a better choice if you have been away for awhile. You can customize the workouts easily. Its broken up into 4 days of workouts. Either you can do it as produced or use the premixes, which is what I do. I do the 'double cardio' premixes for a great (super fun!) cardio and then I do the upper body and the lower body on different days. You don't need as much equipment as STS. The program is only 80 (I think.) and its only a one week commitment. STS is a 3 to 6 month commitment. Also, keep in mind STS is designed to build muscle, this is not a weight loss/fat loss program. Some people do lose inches on it, some do not.

What happened with your knees? Do you think you might need one of those physical therapy dVDs designed to protect your knees? I can't really do hi-lo, it bothers my knees but running and step do not.

I don't know about you, but, I'm naturally very muscular and very pudgy. I put on muscle easily and I put on fat very easily. I do best with plenty of cardio, yoga and some weight work. In order to lose inches I have to cycle calories, carbs and eat fairly clean (some dark chocolate is ok for me.)

I hope some of this helps.

Alisha

I don't own STS. I think you might like 4DS better. Its a better choice if you have been away for awhile. You can customize the workouts easily. Its broken up into 4 days of workouts. Either you can do it as produced or use the premixes, which is what I do. I do the 'double cardio' premixes for a great (super fun!) cardio and then I do the upper body and the lower body on different days. You don't need as much equipment as STS. The program is only 80 (I think.) and its only a one week commitment. STS is a 3 to 6 month commitment. Also, keep in mind STS is designed to build muscle, this is not a weight loss/fat loss program. Some people do lose inches on it, some do not.

What happened with your knees? Do you think you might need one of those physical therapy dVDs designed to protect your knees? I can't really do hi-lo, it bothers my knees but running and step do not.

I don't know about you, but, I'm naturally very muscular and very pudgy. I put on muscle easily and I put on fat very easily. I do best with plenty of cardio, yoga and some weight work. In order to lose inches I have to cycle calories, carbs and eat fairly clean (some dark chocolate is ok for me.)

I hope some of this helps.

Alisha

I am also naturally very muscular and pudgy. I lost pounds and inches each time I did a round of STS and do not eat clean at all. I am also 43. STS was the only program I have used in years that has given me those type of results and I have done them all.

Just wanted to give the OP another perspective on it :)

unfortunately, i agree with Kathryn. instead of buying all 3 i wish i had just bought meso 1,though i do not like changing platemates and gloves. i found the others kinda boring-maybe because i was too excited to start on something else. i did p90x chest/back and majorly sweated! i dont in sts

laura

Yes, I purchased mine with doubts when I was studying. But, glad I did. First time through in Meso 3, Week 2. Noticed big changes and weight loss.
Like any other workout, it's what you put into it.

I believe actually doing the entire workout the way it was intended will yield different results and opinions from previewing it. Even asking the question, is this a good investment can be very subjective to what your lifestyle and goals are. No one can guarantee this will work for you. What I do completely appreciate about this program is how well structured and varied the exercise content is. Results will vary (of course) but I have never physically increased strength as with this program, nor have I lost as much weight with anything else and that wasn't my intention when I started. You have to like lifting, you have to devote the time. There is set-up and a certain amount of follow-up on weight amounts and writing things down. Like JT said, its what you put it into...ultimately that's up to you. I do know that since I've completed this 4 times now, I have stand alone work outs I love from STS. Every time I've completed STS I've learned something new about drive and muscle building. Reading this you can tell the system has worked for me, but that's the point, you will have to gauge it from your gut feeling and if you will have the time for it.

Totally agree with what Dirtdiva said...for me, the STS program is one of the best investments I have ever made as far as workout programs go. When I did the program for the first time (using the 6 1/2 month rotation plan) three years ago, I started it in February, and by July when I was wearing t-shirts and shorts, people were stunned by my results, and I had just had my fourth baby at 41 the year before. So many of my friends and relatives wanted to know what my 'secret' was, which I shared with them, but not many people want to hear that you have to invest so much time to see significant results. My favorite Meso's were 1 and 2, and I absolutely love the plyometrics DVD's. Any of these DVD's can be used as stand-alone workouts, or incorporated into other fitness rotations. Each time I begin another STS rotation, I am always pleasantly surprised by what a great system it is. You do have to prepare for it by calculating your 1 Rep Max totals and make sure you have all the appropriate equipment ready before you start your workout. There was absolutely no dread factor at all for me, and I looked forward to my workouts every day, but again, you have to invest the time to do it right.

I just started my fifth STS rotation two weeks ago, and it's as fresh as it was three years ago. I also love the ABS workouts, and use them quite frequently as an add-on to my other workouts. I own P90X as well, which I enjoyed too, but I think STS is that much better.

Hope this helps!
Karen

I'm going to agree with Kathryn. I hated changing out the plates and constantly getting my chair/bench/barbell/dumbells/tower. You also need a lot of room for this program IMO. I have it, but I'll likely get rid of it soon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.