Should I even attempt RWH?

janeybz

Cathlete
I have started a job with a crazy schedule over the past few months. After having worked out 5-7 days a week for the past 23 years, my workouts have suffered terribly. Really hit or miss to the point that I'm having trouble getting up the gumption to work out hard on my days off. On the days that I have the energy and can make the time to work out, I've been doing old workouts that don't scare me too much. (Step Heat, Body Max 2 spread over two days, some old FIRMS and CIA videos). I've had RWH since before Christmas, but have been scared to jump in. Encourage me or help me to figure out a way to get back into working out with a schedule that varies week to week. Can I even do RWH with a varying schedule?

Thanks for any input!

Jane

Hi Jane,
It may be difficult to do an actual rotation as written but i think you could still utilize the workouts in whatever way suits your needs. Even the 2 circuit workouts would at least give you the best of both worlds by fitting in the weight work along with cardio. The workouts are typically less than an hour unless you decided to do a longer premix. The low impact and plyo hiits are only 30 minutes each so i think it's doable. I actually look forward to them as they accomplish so much in a short period of time.
Jamie

Hi Jane, all I can say is that new workouts - RWH - are much shorter, so maybe you can squeeze them in with your work schedule. Instead of exercising every day, pick at least 3 days to workout. I don't know if getting up before work is possible but that would be another option. I even read about a person that got his exercise in at midnight. It seems that you would have to do some planning every week due to your work schedule - put it on a calendar like it was a doctor appointment, party, etc. so that you don't skip it. :)

I agree w/ Nancy! Workouts that are short and sweet and get the job done. Don't be afraid...you can modify anything! Before you know it, you'll be back to yourself! Haven't you done a wkout and thought "HOLY CRAP...that was hard", then re-visit it and think "HOLY CRAP...that was fun". I always give a new wkout at least 3 times before I decide what I think of it. Go for it!!

I understand how you feel... for one thing it's hard to learn a new routine because you don't know what to have out, how much room you need, etc. All I can say though is the RWH workouts are great and because they are all less than an hour they make it easy to do on work days. I suggest picking one of the HiiT workouts (HCUB, HCLB, or the Plyo and LI) per week and do it two or three times. This will help you get to know the routines and will be a good shock to your system! Throw in a total body weight work and call it good for the week. The LIHI weight work is very good for when you have time to do some focused weight training.

Beth

I was a little intimidated by RWH too but now after diving in I love them. I have lost 5 lbs since I started. Still have to take occasional breathers but I am getting stronger every time I revisit. I have a weird schedule too, I work 4 12 hour days a week, then 3 off. So if I get 4 days of workouts Its a good week.

I agree with everyone above! I think you may find that the shorter intense workouts energize you! There are many mornings, especially now that it is so dark w time change, I don't want to drag myself out of bed before work. The shorter workouts have been an incentive, but then feeling charged afterward makes it worth it! Beth has a good suggestion, learning one at at time. Although there is not really tricky choreography, the pace is fast and knowing what is coming helps (me anyway). I printed out the chapter lists (in big print) so I can follow along. I bet you will convert quickly! :)

I'm another Nancy that agrees with her. The premixes are so varied there is always something you can squeeze in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.