short shorts

Hi Jody,

No, since we moved to Vegas about a year ago, and I had my hip replaced I really have not found a "belly home" here! But I have so many costumes, and still pull them out and dance along withe Jillian (bellydance DVD's) and the other dark haired gal that has workout DVD's. It was a fun time, and a great ab workout for sure!:)

I think tasteful shorter shorts are fine on the over 40 crowd. However I do not think anyone should wear booty shorts.

I think the reason Tim Gunn is against capris is because they are not the most flattering things. I am not saying that wearing capris makes everyone look aweful all the time. It is just the way they cut up the leg is not very flattering on many women. They can make a lot of people look stumpy.

I think it's great you can wear them, but I would tell you an honest, 'No'. If you are already questioning wearing them, I think you know the appropriate anwser, and that would be not to wear them.

I think alot of people are encouraging you to wear the shorts, but they are not being honest. I don't think shorts are classy at all, on anyone over 22 years old. How about some capri pants or a skirt? Now a skirt is classy, comfy, and looks great. Capri pants were worn by Audrey H, mentioned above, who always looked great.

Read this book, 'How not to Look Old' by Charla Krupp. Lots of great advice. Trying to hard, even if you can get away with it, is always going to age you more than looking 'age appropriate'.

Of course you should wear them. Wear them for all your outdoor casual summer activities. Obviously, you wouldn't wear them to work or to a PTA meeting. But for running around on the weekends, why not? (My shorts are pretty short, and I'll be 52 on Monday :p ).

I was under the impression that the question related to wearing short shorts in everday life, shopping, coffee with the gals, out and about kinda stuff. Sorry if I've read that wrong.

I don't think anyone would say don't wear them around the garden, or at home. I garden in shorts (not short shorts) and I was also under the impession that the shorts were literally "short" shorts.

Do you wear "short" shorts when you are 40 and over?

Do you think Pamela ANDERSON is elegant? (No offence to Pammie fans but she is one of the best examples I can think of. Great body, but classy and elegant????) NO Way. x(

Andrea

Hmm, I wonder who all of those shorter shorts are for in the womens area of the department store then? Oh yea that's right, all of us dellusional over 22 year old women trying too hard to look younger. Please.

Wear the shorts and enjoy them! Just because an opinion differs from yours Bella does not mean we are all lying. Personally I think nothing screams middle aged mom more than capris but that is just my opinion. Stylists offer their opinions, their words are not gosphel and do not apply to everybody accross the board.

Perhaps the original poster feels she look good in the shorter shorts but is afraid of closed minded opinionated people judging her. I say wear what you want.

Just popping back in to say "Pamela Anderson" terrifies me.:eek: Whew. Back in the Baywatch days her skimpy outfits were okay, cause they worked. but she needs to sorta class it up now, with her body, she could look just as sexy wearing something more "elegant" and still look sexy. Can you imagine how great she would look with a white cotton shirt that actually fit, her hair tied into a cute ponytail, natural makeup and a great pair of jeans?;) Awesome.

I was in the forum shops yesterday and was walking in between a group of twenty somethings in short shorts, bleached hair, the whole nine yards, behind me, there were a group of twenty something guys, commenting on the girls in front of me, talking about how you can be sexy without looking trashy with those nasty shorts...it was interesting. I am not referring to the above poster and her shorts, these gals were trashy looking and I was embarassed for them. A cute mini-skirt that covered their butts would have been age appropriate and super cute.

I think at the end of the day, wear what you want of course, there are only a handful of women who truly understand how to dress their body types and have that innate sense of style anyway...wow, to be one of those women...I aspire to be, but know I fall on my fashion face all the time.;)

I think, being a fellow shortie myself, that short shorts look better on a shorter leg. You kind of have to play with different lengths and see what looks best. I know that some longer shorts make a short leg look worse. So, test them out and wear what feels right!

I think this is one of those threads where a picture is worth a thousand words.

I don't think there is a woman over the age of 18 who looks good in long shorts. They bring WAY too much attention to the knee and make your legs look shorter:

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578952/5951789/309881455.jpg

On the other hand, although Lulu could probably pull them off, most women over 40 probably shouldn't wear super short shorts anywhere beyond their own backyards:

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578952/5951789/309881454.jpg
(Somebody please give this woman a sandwich!)

I wear cargo shorts that have a 5" inseam all around town in the summer. They hit my leg about halfway between my thigh and my knee, and I really think they make my legs longer. I haven't seen anyone turn away in horror yet ;):

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578952/5951789/309881453.jpg

I agree with tneah about the shorts hitting your leg in that just right place where they look their best. For me, the 5" inseam seems to be just right. I say let your mirror be your guide. ;)

A very good visual example of all the shorts.

Top pic? Horrific.Middle pic? Hoochie mama, yes, please give her a hamburger or something. Bottom picture? Perfection.;)

Thanks, tneah. The reason I used that tiny picture at the end is that those are the actual shorts I wear. They're super soft, stretchy and comfy! :)

I think you should go for it if you feel comfortable and look good in them. Personally I hate the way I look in shorts--even when I was younger I don't think I could pull off shorts (and I'm "only" 33 now). That is just me, though--I think I look 100 times better in a skirt and I wear skirts (and the occasional capris) all summer long. It's not that my legs are bad (not wonderful but not bad); they are just much more flattered in skirts. That's not true of everyone, though, and the older I get the less I give a crap what other people think of how I'm dressed. I hope to be one of those old ladies with crazy hats and bright lipstick.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com
dream blog: http://dreamerfig.blogspot.com
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans.[/f]

I agree with tneah(as always!) the mid length shorts are most attractive. I just spent the last 2 days at Fiesta Texas in San Antonio and Seaworld, I saw about every body type in about every type of shorts, and I decided that you should wear what ever you feel comfortable in. I bough a pair of capris that hit between the knee and just top of the calf muscle and for some reason they really length and slim your leg, but are short enough to almost feel like shorts and have those ties at the bottom so they are kind of loose. I could live in these. I don't have bad legs, they aren't great either and I just feel more comfortable not showing them. My sister has knock out legs and it would be a shame if she didn't wear short shorts!

I agree, Mikia. I think capris can look great. They cover the knee, and highlight the calf, and most women have nice calves. And if you wear a color that is close to your skin color, they don't shorten your legs.

Tneah, will we ever see a pic of you? The picture in my mind is soooo glamorous. You are so knowledgeable about all things fashion-related. I'd love to see a pic of you.

>I think this is one of those threads where a picture is worth
>a thousand words.
>
>I don't think there is a woman over the age of 18 who looks
>good in long shorts. They bring WAY too much attention to the
>knee and make your legs look shorter:
>
>http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578952/5951789/309881455.jpg
>
>On the other hand, although Lulu could probably pull them off,
>most women over 40 probably shouldn't wear super short shorts
>anywhere beyond their own backyards:
>
>http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578952/5951789/309881454.jpg
>(Somebody please give this woman a sandwich!)
>
>I wear cargo shorts that have a 5" inseam all around town in
>the summer. They hit my leg about halfway between my thigh
>and my knee, and I really think they make my legs longer. I
>haven't seen anyone turn away in horror yet ;):
>
>http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578952/5951789/309881453.jpg
>
>I agree with tneah about the shorts hitting your leg in that
>just right place where they look their best. For me, the 5"
>inseam seems to be just right. I say let your mirror be your
>guide. ;)

Great pics Nancy, and they are worth a thousand words! The top shorts are my worst nightmare. I've tried on shorts like that and they made my lower half look huge and dumpy. So unless I plan to screen movies on my arse, there's just no way I'm going to be seen in those shorts.

Let's face it, people who want to judge will find a reason to do so, whether we're wearing short shorts or a burqa. So I say wear what makes you happy and go about your business.

Sparrow

Even after all this time the earth never says to the sun, "you owe me." Look what happens with a love like that.

It lights the whole sky.

- Hafiz

Option number 3 is what I wear, but they are not "short" shorts. They are just shorts. There are some really nicely tailored shorts around now, I am a big fan of Country Road, (an Australian label). They look a bit 50 ish, with a tie around the waist, Marilyn Monroe ish. Very nice.

Tneah, I agree, Pammie is scary. To be blessed with a fabbo bod like that and wear the trash she does. Yet, she could look awesome.

Andrea
self appointed fashion Police of cathe.com

Oh you guys!:+ If there was a blush smiley I would use it! I will have to post a pic, I had one of me, but "posing" in my workout clothes with a baseball hat on..not very glamorous to be sure.;) Oh, but I like sexpot...I'll take that one, at my age (41) that is one heck of a compliment and you take 'em where you can get 'em!

I am a clothes horse (shoes too, well, and handbags..but strangely, not jewelry) and adore all things fashion related without (hopefully) fallen victim to it. Truth be told, I live in my Juicy tracksuits (oh shut up Timm Gunn, Clinton and Stacy), but thats because I no longer schleppe into the office on a daily basis. But when I did? Every day was an opportunity to dress to the nines, I just love clothes, vintage especially. I love studying old pics of Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Audrey H. etc...and trying to incorporate that classic style into my own wardrobe. Its a passion I guess, just like painting, writing and stuff, I am however clueless when it comes to numbers and logic.:eek:

I love your shorts already, are they white? How cute! I love to put the attention on my waistline...you will have to give me the link or something, would love to check them out. I am with Lainie, I wear mostly skirts, but do own a few pair of decent shorts which I pair with espadrilles in the summer.

Tneah,

ME TOO!!! Oh My God we could be twins!! ;-)

I collect handbags - why? because I can. I go through shoe phazes. And, then, whenever I get on a diet (which is constantly) I refuse to buy clothes, but when I am at "happy weight" I shop a lot. I love watches but I am not a huge jewllery wearer.;-) either!

I love attention on my waistline, i don't know who Tim Gunn is (I know where have I been!!) LOL I do know Trinny and Susannah, and I really love the old pics of Grace (stunning woman), Audrey, (ageless beauty)I love Marilyn too, at times she was beautiful. Sophia Loren looks a little too "makeuppy" nowadays but no denying she is one glam lady. Whats your thoughts on Liz TAYLOR? Todays Liz.

I love talking fashion, makeup and hair too. I can't add and subtract either!! Nor can i do cleaver things on a computer, like all you girls. I push start, and send. ;-)

Enough excited babble!

Andrea
(cathe.com fashion Police) :)

Andrea!

Have I met my fashion twin at long last?:7 That is so funny, I actually have a book written by Trinny and Susannah! Timm Gunn came into the spotlight when Project Runway took off in the ratings...have you seen that fabulous show? Wow.

I agree, Marilyn just had something that was magical about her, which is why every starlet nowdays tried to emulate her--Lindsay Lohan trying with those nude photos however was just pathetic...ugh. Sophia Loren was incredible back in the day, she really understood that she always needed to show her waistline and her beautiful bustline. I agree though, she could have worn a little less makeup as she aged, but still...she is my all-time favorite beauty, the most incredible looking woman.
I actually like Angelina Jolie's sense of style, its so laid back, but always looks so good. Nothing over the top or ruffly. She always looks like her...where as someone like Halle Berry looks amazing all the time, but lacks her own sense of style, you know? I also adore Chloe Sevigny, she is too cool with her own sense of style and self.
Ok, I could prattle on and on!
I see you are in Australia, very nice. One more thing, I loved Nicole Kidman in the Dior she wore years ago, that asian/chartuese gown she wore to the Oscars, she was still married to Cruise at the time, it was one of my favorite fashion moments ever!:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.