Shock Cardio-anyone else a little disappointed?

fitmonkee

I was so excited for this series. I thought it would be a collection of shorter, but super intense workouts that I could alternate w the longer workouts, but the only one I find intense enough is HIIT and even that seems too short to be my only worout. I also like Athletic Step a lot, but the boxing, kickbox and MM Fusion just aren't enough. I will use the core sections, but I really wish the collection was more intense. Anyone else feel the same? Of course I still think Cathe is the BEST out there!!!

Okay - I'll respond - probably get flamed, but wth....

Yep - I'm a little disappointed. The MMA's are not what I expected. I am having a lot of fun with Athletic Step and the other Step DVD, the HiiT is just ok, and I did the MMAs 3x apiece now and sorry, still don't like them. This is MY opinion.

I only purchased the three MMA workouts, and I have to agree. I am not a little disappointed, but a lot. The workouts just weren't what I had dreamed they would be. To me, they were lacking in the fun factor and just that spark, the little something-something, that Cathe has given to her workouts pre-STS. I can't really put my finger on it, but to describe it in the terms I did. Although I am happy with the exercises in STS, I can't get past that something is missing in that series and the Shock Cardio (at least the MMA ones). In all honesty, I prob. won't use the MMA workouts much at all. Again, this is just my opinion.

Call me disappointed, too.

I do feel that the workouts are on the easy side. No learning curve at all! But what drives me crazy is the terrible form of the background exercisers (with the exception of Lorraine!).

The big guy with the dark hair has such poor form. It reminds me of the CTX kickboxing series. His punches are limp and his hooks and upper cuts are sad. When he does the head crunch thing (can't remember which MMA workout it is) he reminds me of the Friends episode where Monica and Ross do that "fist smash" thing as an insult. :p

Sorry, I know people like to look at this guy, but his form is uninspiring and down right distracting.

Just my opinion.
Debbie Russo

I totally agree with you, Debbie, about the form of the background folks. His wrists are all limp and it looks as if he is putting zero effort into his punches. I can't believe that Cathe would accept this. The guys in the STS strength series have HORRIBLE form. I'm talking knees WAY over the toes, dropping weights, slinging up the weights. It's just very, very disappointing.

Yes, I was disappointed in these workouts. I expected more intensity and sold all but HiiT (which I do like a lot). I was most excited about the MMA workouts and didn't like any of them at all. But, I got my money back so I'm happy. :)

Erica

My husband said he can tell that guy (Robert?) can't fight. LOL! I try not to pay attention to him (Robert?), but I can't help it. I do love the two circuit workouts though. Those are fun!

This isn't my favorite series either....I'm loving Step moves and Athletic step..the kickbox and boxing are ok...but I really feel like a mexican jumping bean wants to roll on the floor.

I don't plan to sell them, but I probably wont use them a lot....the ab workouts are awesome in the MMA's. Love them and will use them a lot.

Boy, I totally disagree. I'm really enjoying all the workouts. When doing boxing and kickboxing I always add wrist weights and that brings up the intensity a bit. The only one I'm not crazy about is fusion. Some of them might not be as tough as Cathe's old dvds but it's a nice change and I think they are all fun! Just my opinion

Oh, I must disagree too. I LOVE shock cardio. I think they are just a perfect way to switch up my cardio days. I can only get on the treadmill so many days in a row before i've had enough. Plus- all those plyo moves are so good for endurance conditioning. As far as the boxing and kickbox, I too wear weighted gloves. These workouts are great for helping to round out your muscle toning routines :)

SO wanted to love it but...

Sorry to say another one who's disappointed here. I only have MMA Kickbox and MMA Boxing - I'm sure the two guys are lovely people and nothing against them personally but I also find their poor form totally off-putting and very distracting. I wonder whether they had to audition for this series. BUT I know many of you love these workouts so good for you. I just wish I was one of you! Also for me these two workouts lack a certain something. I dunno, just don't seem as polished and fun as Cathe's other stuff. :(

Don't flame me, just my personal opinion!

(Still love ya Cathe! ;))

Why do I find it amusing that this thread was rated low?! I found the comments respectful. I know I felt that mine was. So, must people really be "rated" low if they don't gush and gush over every single one of Cathe' workouts?! I really don't get it.

I like this series. I particuarly like the MMA Boxing. As for the guys in the back, I just ignore them. Circuit Blast, Core Cardio Circuit, and Athletic Step are good too. Travel Fit...that's another story. Of course, I didn't expect it to be the same intensity as a normal Cathe weight workout, but I felt it really didn't work much of anything at all. I found another band workout that really seems to work your whole body much better....Band Camp by ASAP Fitness...I will be using that when I go on vacation next month for sure.

Maybe I'm just not as advanced as others, but sometimes I like having a little shorter and less intense workout. STS Shock Cardio has different levels of intensity, and that's a good thing.

Why do I find it amusing that this thread was rated low?! I found the comments respectful. I know I felt that mine was. So, must people really be "rated" low if they don't gush and gush over every single one of Cathe' workouts?! I really don't get it.

Ratings are overrated. This is why I lurk more often than not :).

I'm disappointed in Shock Cardio. The thing that most upsets me is that I feel we were misled. These were advertised to be the most intense workouts Cathe has made yet they are barely intermediate. If you've forgotten just go back and read the blog posts and other advertisements. Sadly, these workout don't live up to the pre-sale hype. I can see myself using a few of them for easier or recovery days but there is nothing shocking about them. I also agree with the comments on poor form of the backgrounders and no fun factor.

I like this series. I particuarly like the MMA Boxing. As for the guys in the back, I just ignore them. Circuit Blast, Core Cardio Circuit, and Athletic Step are good too. Travel Fit...that's another story. Of course, I didn't expect it to be the same intensity as a normal Cathe weight workout, but I felt it really didn't work much of anything at all. I found another band workout that really seems to work your whole body much better....Band Camp by ASAP Fitness...I will be using that when I go on vacation next month for sure.

Maybe I'm just not as advanced as others, but sometimes I like having a little shorter and less intense workout. STS Shock Cardio has different levels of intensity, and that's a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with easier exercises or shorter workouts, which is why I love premixes in Cathe's other workouts that I didn't have to wait so long for.

I was doing 4DS Kickbox the other day got to thinking how I wished MMA has the same intensity. 4DS is only a 30+ minute workout...I love that workout.

I love the idea of changing things up...but being I live in a 3rd floor condo...excessive jumping becomes an issue...as is the fact that I'm closer to 40 than I'd like to admit with extra poundage to carry.

I really don't hate the series, but there Cathe has other series, such as 4DS and Body Blast that I would replace with overnite shipping if something happened to them. MMA...not so much. I don't hate it...I just don't know just how much I'll be using some of these and it's kind of disappointing.

As far as ratings on posts...I agree they are over rated and like someone else said...sometimes it's just not worth posting over here...because if you don't agree with something...others read into your post what you didn't write.

But as a consumer, I think honest criticism is needed in order to grow a business and move into the future.

I've scene some serious Cathie bashing on this board, people really cutting deep and sharing another forums nasty postings. I'm not, nor is anyone else on this threat being rude or cut throat about the series...we are just expressing what we don't like about this particular series in a polite and justified kind of way.

We're not always going to love a product whether it be a workout DVD or a piece of equipment, or even a piece of workout clothing. But if one never mentions something, a company will never know there was an issue and the company or product will never learn or improve on a product.

Anyway...said my piece to a lot of different posts here at one time...not just the one I quoted...so, I'll go back into lurk mode...

Thanks...

i enjoyed most of the workouts but i am mostly disappointed in the "MMA"s b/c i just expected something different, although i did love the drills in the MMA boxing. i enjoyed the ab work on all of them but aside from one or two exercises,it was nothing different then almost the literal 100s of other kickboxing/boxing based workouts i do have. maybe if i didn't have so many workouts already i would think the MMAs were "it" but since i have or done most, its just the same.

i do love the step workouts though!!!

kassia

Wow - I've just got to say that I am really amazed at the fitness levels of some of the participants on this board. Even Cathe is winded in these workouts, and some people think the workouts are only intermediate! Wow! Even Collage rates these workouts as advanced (except for Travel Fit) - there must be some incredibly fit people out there.

I love this series, and I find it plenty hard enough, even though I've been doing Cathe's workouts for many years - all of them. It must really be tough for super advanced people to find a variety of workouts to use for their cardio needs. She's got me huffin' & puffin' and I'm absolutely loving the variety. I guess I'll probably never be THAT advanced.

All that being said - yes, there is some very poor form in the background exercisers, and it can bug me a little, but certainly not enough to put me off the workouts entirely.

Exactly how difficult these workouts are (or are not) certainly depends on the individual exerciser. To me that is not the big issue.

I did the warm up from MMA Fusion yesterday and the form of the two guys is really weak. I work very hard on having the best (and safest) form possible and I think that the background people in the DVDs should have near perfect form. If they can't then I would rather just work out with Cathe so I am not distracted.

I am kind of surprised that when Cathe previewed the filming of these workouts she didn't feel the same way.:confused:

Debbie Russo

all valid opinions

I don't see anything wrong with the constructive criticism that I have just read in this thread.

I can see why some might think that this is a bit less in terms of intensity. I consider myself an intermediate exerciser and I was in my 70% of THR during the boxing workout, I haven't tried the others yet. For me, it seemed to be higher in intensity than the 4DS KB workout. I like HIIT and the step workouts just fine. The only thing is the step workouts are shorter and lower in intensity than I expected, I thought it would be like IMAX4 and RS2, if that makes any sense. I really enjoyed the choreo in both but that was a bit complex in some ways. I'm working with Classics Vol. 1 and its great because you can do it on the first try with risers for intensity. I would really like more workouts like that, she doesn't have to wear the older style clothes though;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.