Shock Cardio-anyone else a little disappointed?

I am disappointed in these workouts too. I thought they would be more intense. I enjoy them on an off day. I did circuit blast yesterday and there were a couple times my heart rate got up high but it was only for a min. The HIIT workouts get it up high but there are way to many breaks. It seems ot me that Cathe has perfected the set and her look. Everything looks perfect and she looks great but the workouts themselves are lacking. The insanity series is in a gym and everyone is wearing whatever and on a different beat a lot but the workout kicks my a** and that is what really matters to me.

I like this series a lot actually, probably because I do it all as part of the 3 1/2 months strength rotation, and I think they complement perfectly the strength workouts. I guess I like following the rotation, I do the workouts I am told with as much intensity as I can and trust Cathe knew what she was doing when she made them. There is a lot of variety, intensities, and I enjoy everyone of them (the only one I haven't done yet is Travel Fit). I hold weights doing the MMA workouts to add intensity and it works fine for me. I make a point of doing Step Moves as high intensity as I can all the way through and now that I know the choreography very well, it's even harder than the first or second time I did it, since there is no waste of time in learning. I get a good workout with my heart rate moderately elevated. HiiT and CCC are quite a challenge for me, but just the right length. I am now in the middle of my recovery week from Meso 1 and I have definitely seen results since I started the rotation. Something must be right in the series!

When it comes to the guys in the back, I agree... but I guess I keep reminding myself that what you get out of a workout is in direct relations with how much you put into it. Let's just say that the Robert guy certainly doesn't get much out of his (his loss, I tend to think... it's a waste of time if you're going to do any workout with such lack of intensity or enthusiasm or form). Lorraine and Cathe are the ones I follow.

I guess everybody's opinion depends on their expectations. I always expected Shock Cardio to complement STS Strength, and to me, that's exactly what they do. I don't actually know how I would percieve them as "stand alone" workouts.

Sandra

Oh thank goodness...I thought it was me! I am enjoying the workouts in regards to intensity. However, the gentlemen in the background are so incredibly distracting to me that I have to force myself to not notice them. As a consumer, I would hope to not see them again in a Cathe workout, as I would think twice about purchasing it.

I'm already back to older DVDs. I tried them all. However, I'll take Cardio and Weights, Low Impact Circuit, and Imax 2 any day. SC is OK, but there are lots of Cathe DVDs that are better. Just my opinion.

I don't usually rate threads, but I gave this one 5 stars to try and bring the rating up. I have found the comments to be respectful and cricital in a positive way. I, too, was disappointed in the series because I was under the impression that it would be very intense. I do like it in conjunction with STS Strength, however, and can see the purpose of the varying intensities. It just wasn't what I was expecting. And I do think the series lacks that extra something-something that makes Cathe's other workouts so very superior. But I like them and will continue to use them. I particularly like the Heavy Bag Bonus!

I do hope that this thread will be taken into consideration for future workouts. I REALLY would like some more intense MMAs, in particular.

I guess it just depends on how fit you are. For those of us who aren't super fit, they're plenty intense. I personally love the workouts. Except the guys, I agree with that. MMA fusion is my favorite.

i don't particularly care for this series. i was disappointed, cuz i thought they were all gonna be really different, but, to me, they are pretty much like al the other step workouts. HIIT is ok, but i think you can do the same thing with plyo legs. i have not even opened the MMA's. i'm just not interested. so, i am trying ver hard to sell them. i just want to recoup my money is all.

I think it's interesting how many of the SC DVDs are for sale on Ebay. I guess there are lots of people disappointed with them?

I LOVE Shock Cardio!

I have not found one workout I did not enjoy.

I think Cathe did a great job with this series!

Travel Fit is HARD for me, but I use the bands with the highest resistance I can use.

I have DOMs after doing it too.

The music in Athletic Step and Step Moves is great.

These are my personal opinions and are not aimed at anyone else's comments.

We are such a diverse community.

Of all Cathe's workout series, 4-Day Split is my least favorite and it's not horrible.

Last edited:
I refuse to purchase any product by Beach Body or the Firm (except the classic Firms).

Please don't flame me - this is just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
A little disappointed too

Maybe it's flawed when I think that if I'm not running around for 60-70 mins, I'm not working out enough, but I agree about Shock Cardio--I'm a bit disappointed. (I also agree with another poster about 4DS--I thought the cardio disappointing.) I only have the time & inclination to work out 3 days a week, can only do a handful of straight-leg pushups, and workouts like SJP, IMAX2, BM2 still whip my butt (but I can keep up). I too found the Shock Cardio series to be a bit lacking overall. I did Athletic Moves for the first time today and my HR didn't go high until near the end. And the music wasn't in time with the workout. (Does anyone else think IMAX2's music is perfect??) I don't pay attention to the guys in the back (but why don't they have as good a form as the ladies always do??), but I do wish Jai were in the workouts.

I didn't buy STS Strength because it's too costly, so I can't combine the effects of the two.

Having said this, I still feel Cathe is the best there is, and I'll still use all my Cathe DVDs (I don't own them all), alternating them depending on time. But, if we want Road Trips, Cathe gear and products, QVC & EB's promos, etc (none of which I personally take advantage of), we have to share Cathe's time. And there's no one like Cathe! These last 5+ years I've been working out to Cathe, I'm the most fit I've been in my life, and I'll work out to her until I physically can't any more! JMHO.

I'm disappointed in the fact that this isn't Cathe's best series ever and I agree that the series didn't quite live up to the way they were advertised. I'm also disappointed in the fact that we used to get two workouts per DVD with awesome premixes and that seems to be disappearing. That being said, Shock Cardio has grown on me and I find them intense enough (though I understand the super advanced expectation from the write up's and past experience with Cathe's workouts) and I'm using them quite a lot. Would I pay full price for these workouts? No. Did I get a great workout for the presale price (ignoring how much we used to get as mentined before)? Yes.

this series is very high impact for me. It's tough for me to do & I have to be careful with my knees.

For me, it is a thing to work up to one day, to make it thru.

The only dissapointment I had it that they are all individual tapes with no premixes. I love the options that premixes give you.

I'm disappointed in Shock Cardio. The thing that most upsets me is that I feel we were misled. These were advertised to be the most intense workouts Cathe has made yet they are barely intermediate. If you've forgotten just go back and read the blog posts and other advertisements. Sadly, these workout don't live up to the pre-sale hype. I can see myself using a few of them for easier or recovery days but there is nothing shocking about them. I also agree with the comments on poor form of the backgrounders and no fun factor.

I so agree! There are a couple workouts that are ok, but I had ordered the whole series and was highly disappointed, particularly with the MMA workouts. It's been a long time since Cathe has come out with new cardio, and the advertising hype did NOT live up to its claims. I was thinking this would give Insanity a run for its money. I don't particularly like Beachbody, and was so excited during the long wait for SC because I was convinced that Cathe would "do it better"! I love Cathe, but this series was a letdown.

I admit to being disappointed with Shock Cardio, but it has taken me nearly two months to nail down exactly why I am disappointed.

I have always felt with each new Cathe series that she has managed to come up with something that pushes me beyond where I was with regard to fitness. While some sets contained some DVDs that were 'easier' (like Kick Max in the Hardcore Series or Push/Pull in the Body Blast Series), I've always felt with each new series she has pushed the outside of the envelope in advanced home fitness DVDs.

And then there was STS. STS, to me, is an unbelievable strength training system to have on DVD. It changed my fitness level like no other series I have ever done (or will most likely ever do). It totally transformed me. I'm nearing the end of my second rotation with the series (my first one was 6.5 months, this one is 3.5), and I still am in awe at how well put together this series is and how my body responds to it.

So when Cathe announced she was putting out a series of cardio to go with STS, I expected a similar type program....a cardio program that would push me beyond anyplace I'd ever been before.

I do not feel I got that with Shock Cardio. In fact, I would argue that, aside from a couple of the DVDs, this series is the first that Cathe has released that I felt were a step backwards in terms of where they would take me in my fitness journey. In other words, many of the workouts (the MMAs and the step workouts in particular) are simply too easy.

While I understand that each program requires a variety of intensity, I still want the lower intensity workouts to be effective. In other words, if these are designed as cardio workouts, my heart rate should get up into the cardio range. My heart rate doesn't come close to getting into my target heart rate zone with any of the MMA workouts, no matter how hard I kick, punch, etc.

I find it a little strange that it was a Cathe series (STS) that made this particular series too easy for me....but that is exactly what happened. The good thing is I still can find challenges in my older Cathe DVDs and still enjoy doing them.

Which leads me to the other reason I'm disappointed with this series. When I did STS the first time, I was really able to push myself beyond with the use of many of the premixes Cathe made available on her other DVDs. I credit the ultra cardio premix of Drill Max (the 63 1/2 minute one) a great deal for my cardio gains. I find it unfortunate SNM opted for no premixes with this series because I think had there been premixes offered that would have combined some of the workouts (especially the MMA workouts), I would have a completely different opinion about this series than what I do.

No doubt I will continue working out with Cathe DVDs for a long time. But I'm still left looking for a Cathe cardio series that will push me beyond the limits STS has helped me establish.

Last edited:
yep, i am trying to sell mine. seems the same as her other workouts. i was not happy to spend $100 and be very disappointed. i tried to sell them on here and SNM deleted my post.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.