Shaun T Focus T25

I've done the first two workouts. So far I am liking them. I disliked Insanity if that tells you anything. The music is just a background beat. I like it. To tell you the truth I'm working so hard that I barely notice it but the moves do hit the beats correctly so it helps with staying on track.
The meal plan is I based on 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep. Calorie levels are 1200 and1600. There are a total of 25 recipes. What more would you like to know? I am a BB coach and own most of the programs. The set I ordered did not come with Gamma, Which is another 4 week add on once you finish beta, the second 4 week block. Let me know if you have more questions. The workouts are not as fun as Cathe but will fit the bill if you want to add them onto another workout or don't have the time or energy to do a full on workout which is my case during the work week.
Amy

I ordered the basic kit and the gamma DVDs as well. I ordered these workouts mainly because of the time factor and they also seemed very advanced.
I have been working out with cathe for About 8 years so I am not new to fitness. I also hAve other beach body programs such as turbo fire, Chalene extreme and p90x. I think they are all solid programs.
I was wanted to know what the meal plan was like. I know that focus t25 has a 5 day plan where some people have said they lost 5-7 lbs. does it include any carbs, are the meals easy to prepare?

It's a balanced nutrition plan. It actually lets you choose which meals you prefer. It has them labeled for easy reference. Like a P for a protein heavy meal, C for carb heavy. I think the people probably had such success with weightloss b/c it's low on the calories. I'm 130lbs and 5'5. It states I should eat the 1200 calorie diet. This would never work for me but I would drop weight quickly if I did. I love to eat!! :)
Amy

This is one thing I have always disliked about beach body programs. There is no way 1200 calories is enough for anyone. Even the sedentary. To perform your best, you need to fuel your workouts. I think it's actually irresponsible of them to promote such a diet. In the long run it will cause adrenal fatigue and jack up your metabolism. There is no way Shaun T or Tony eat a mere 1500 calories day. I'm very interested in T25, but will definitely eat my total daily expenditure of 2100 calories from whole, natural foods, including tons of carbs around my workouts! Ok. Off my soap box now.

This is one thing I have always disliked about beach body programs. There is no way 1200 calories is enough for anyone. Even the sedentary. To perform your best, you need to fuel your workouts. I think it's actually irresponsible of them to promote such a diet. In the long run it will cause adrenal fatigue and jack up your metabolism. There is no way Shaun T or Tony eat a mere 1500 calories day. I'm very interested in T25, but will definitely eat my total daily expenditure of 2100 calories from whole, natural foods, including tons of carbs around my workouts! Ok. Off my soap box now.

ITA! You think 1200cal is low, Bob Harper has a 800cal/day diet in his new book :rolleyes:. For me personally, I'm veering away from any health/fitness professionals that advocate lowering calories so extremely (or what I find to be extreme, anyway).

WOW! I didn't know. I've never followed any of the diet plans that come with BB programs. I've used the recipes, but pretty much know what works for me.

The only diet plan I've looked at closely was Body Beast and Sagi has us eating a LOT! Several women on the Body Beast closed group for women follow his diet plan and have made remarkable muscle gains.

The only diet plan I've looked at closely was Body Beast and Sagi has us eating a LOT! Several women on the Body Beast closed group for women follow his diet plan and have made remarkable muscle gains.

This is what happened to me. When I started doing BB, the few "tweaks" that I did to my eating was 1) more protein 2) eat more. Within the first month of the rotation, I started noticing muscle definition that I was never able to obtain with any other rotation, especially in my shoulder's (nice shapely shoulder's is a goal of mine). Eating more, has not only given me muscles, but also lots of energy and stamina to fuel my workouts, so I can put forth 100% into each and every lifting session. It's a win/win :D. And plus, I get the "Hangries" when I'm not eating enough :mad:.

I understand where BB is coming from w/ the 1200 cal diet recommendation. When I used to wear my Bodybugg a day of average activity ie going to work with minimal walking I would only burn about 1200 cals. Everybody's cal needs are different. It's not just BB that has programs with low cals. Michelle Dozois' Peak Fit program also rec's 1200 cals and so does myfitnesspal.com. I have found P90x's nutrition guide to be the best eating plan for my body. That is 1600-1800cals a day. Just my thoughts. The website freedieting.com has pretty realistic calorie calculators.

This is what happened to me. When I started doing BB, the few "tweaks" that I did to my eating was 1) more protein 2) eat more. Within the first month of the rotation, I started noticing muscle definition that I was never able to obtain with any other rotation, especially in my shoulder's (nice shapely shoulder's is a goal of mine). Eating more, has not only given me muscles, but also lots of energy and stamina to fuel my workouts, so I can put forth 100% into each and every lifting session. It's a win/win :D. And plus, I get the "Hangries" when I'm not eating enough :mad:.

Mini Natty is right! All depends on your program, goals and body. When I do Bodybeast this fall I will increase my cals accordingly.

I understand where BB is coming from w/ the 1200 cal diet recommendation. When I used to wear my Bodybugg a day of average activity ie going to work with minimal walking I would only burn about 1200 cals. Everybody's cal needs are different. It's not just BB that has programs with low cals. Michelle Dozois' Peak Fit program also rec's 1200 cals and so does myfitnesspal.com. I have found P90x's nutrition guide to be the best eating plan for my body. That is 1600-1800cals a day. Just my thoughts. The website freedieting.com has pretty realistic calorie calculators.

You just proved me point! You burned 1200 calories doing pretty much nothing. So if you work out, you end up fueling your body by breaking down muscles and producing large amounts of cortisol, which HINDERS fat loss because you have no extra calories to burn. I used to religiously eat 1500 calories a day and workout for 90 mins, but I was stuck at the same number on the scale for MONTHS. I started doing some research and realized that I probably was experiencing adrenal fatigue and that I was actually starving my body. Through websites like gokaleo and eattoperform.com I am on the road to mending my body and metabolism. And I get to eat a ton! Now I am getting some the awesome results I work so hard for. I just hate that society makes women especially feel like they can't eat. I am proof that 2100 calories, 100g of FAT, 200g of carbs and 150g of protein will get you far better results and better health than 1500 calories, low fat, low carbs.

You just proved me point! You burned 1200 calories doing pretty much nothing. So if you work out, you end up fueling your body by breaking down muscles and producing large amounts of cortisol, which HINDERS fat loss because you have no extra calories to burn. I used to religiously eat 1500 calories a day and workout for 90 mins, but I was stuck at the same number on the scale for MONTHS. I started doing some research and realized that I probably was experiencing adrenal fatigue and that I was actually starving my body. Through websites like gokaleo and eattoperform.com I am on the road to mending my body and metabolism. And I get to eat a ton! Now I am getting some the awesome results I work so hard for. I just hate that society makes women especially feel like they can't eat. I am proof that 2100 calories, 100g of FAT, 200g of carbs and 150g of protein will get you far better results and better health than 1500 calories, low fat, low carbs.

I'm a pretty active person with some muscle mass. Some people who are sedentary and haven't moved much maybe only burning 800 cals a day. There are TOO many variables and I think the 1200 cals is just a starting point for individuals to figure out what works for them. I'm glad you're eating plan works for you, that's great. I'm a nurse and a personal trainer and I know that different things work for different people, I've seen it. The BB workouts just give people a jumping off point. So many people quit working out when they don't see results. If you're an overweight individual BB and many doctors know that you will see some changes in your body and stay motivated at the lower calorie count. Many people don't live and breathe fitness like a lot of us on the forum do and in fact hate it. In all reality if people just ate less processed crap and ate according to hunger, didn't eat gigantic portions and moved more there would be less obesity. It's not a perfect world and there is no perfect diet.

To add to what you're are saying...
Biolayne talks about the biology response to low calorie dieting-
http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/b...chanistic-discussion-of-metabolic-adaptation/

He's spot on when he says only certified nutritionist are qualified to dish out nutritional advice.

To add to what you're are saying...
Biolayne talks about the biology response to low calorie dieting-
http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/biolayne-video-log-16-metabolic-damage-v3-0-damage-control-a-mechanistic-discussion-of-metabolic-adaptation/

He's spot on when he says only certified nutritionist are qualified to dish out nutritional advice.

Loved that. Thanks for sharing. There's more and more proof out there every day that calorie restriction is so very harmful for your body. I've definitely jumped on board!

Through websites like gokaleo and eattoperform.com I am on the road to mending my body and metabolism. And I get to eat a ton! Now I am getting some the awesome results I work so hard for. I just hate that society makes women especially feel like they can't eat. I am proof that 2100 calories, 100g of FAT, 200g carbs and 150g of protein will get you far better results and better health than 1500 calories, low fat, low carbs.

ITA with everything you are saying Shannon :). How is Crossfit btw?

I love Amber from gokaleo! Another gem in the health/fitness industry that I truly admire is Nia Shanks. Here is a wonderful article recently published from her blog:
5 Problems with Rapid Fat Loss & Quick Fixes and What You Should Do Instead » Nia Shanks

And then there's Sean Flanagan: Blog | Sean Flanagan Health & Nutrition

Enjoy!

ITA with everything you are saying Shannon :). How is Crossfit btw?

I love Amber from gokaleo! Another gem in the health/fitness industry that I truly admire is Nia Shanks. Here is a wonderful article recently published from her blog:
5 Problems with Rapid Fat Loss & Quick Fixes and What You Should Do Instead » Nia Shanks

And then there's Sean Flanagan: Blog | Sean Flanagan Health & Nutrition

Enjoy!

Crossfit has honestly been life changing for me. From eating properly to fuel your body to work ethic and a community of support. I could talk for days on end about it. It's been about 2.5 months and I feel so strong!! I can bench press 103lbs! and deadlift 185lbs, back squat 150lbs!. I look forward to going to every workout. It has taught me so much about myself and has really become a personal journey. Thanks so much for asking. And to all those that say crossfit is so dangerous and everyone gets hurt, you're right. I had my first injury two weeks ago...I missed a 20in box jump and scraped my shin all to pieces. Apparently, though it's a right of passage and now I really am a crossfitter! I'll have the scar to prove it :) But you know what, after I did that, I still finished the workout :) So no serious injuries to speak of. As long as I continue to lift with proper form and not try to be a hot head, I think I'll be golden.

And here's one more link supporting the concept of eating enough.
"I am no longer a number..." By Erin Russell | Eat to PerformEat to Perform

Last edited:
This is from Cathe's newsletter. And I promise I'll get off my soap box...for real this time :D.

Men are quick to add more protein and calories to their diet when they’re trying to get stronger or build muscle. Women, on the other hand, typically focus on “low-cal” fare and don’t get an adequate amount of protein to build stronger, more defined muscles. Plus, they may not take in enough total calories to reap the benefits of their weight training program. Eating a calorie-deficient diet and one that’s low in carbs creates a catabolic state that makes it harder to build strength or lean body mass. It also makes it more challenging to lose body fat as metabolism slows.

This is from Cathe's newsletter. And I promise I'll get off my soap box...for real this time :D.

Men are quick to add more protein and calories to their diet when they’re trying to get stronger or build muscle. Women, on the other hand, typically focus on “low-cal” fare and don’t get an adequate amount of protein to build stronger, more defined muscles. Plus, they may not take in enough total calories to reap the benefits of their weight training program. Eating a calorie-deficient diet and one that’s low in carbs creates a catabolic state that makes it harder to build strength or lean body mass. It also makes it more challenging to lose body fat as metabolism slows.

I don't think this is a soap box. It needs to be said because so many women are in a vicious cycle of low calorie dieting. Sad to say...it has taken me 50 years to realize I am never going to have the physique I work so hard for if I starve my body. It's unhealthy.
I see countless woman on bodybuilding forums who take that first leap of faith by increasing calories with good nutrition, suck up the uncomfortable fluffy bloated stage, to come out on the other end leaner, more "toned" with a revved metabolism. The thing is...it's not a quick fix for many. For some women this means you need to follow this process for up to a year before you can reach this healthy place.
Step away from quick fixes and give yourself one year to adopt a healthy lifestyle and for goodness sake.....throw the stupid scale out the window!;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.