Severe Chronic Constipation-Cant Go!

I see you have received a ton of great advise. One other thing to mention is to ensure that you're drinking enough water.

some ideas

I get that too. It seems to be associated with my hormones. I eat steel cut oat meal for fiber, take magnesium (stool softener, a good mineral to have, you can buy it in capsules) I take 500 mg. per day. Also, yoga seems to help. Probiotic and papaya enzymes too. Take the probiotic on an empty stomach before bed. Take the papaya enzymes at meal time. I still haven't got it perfect though (its been two days sorry for the tmi :confused:)

I wish it were that easy

To everyone who needs to take a natural or chemical laxative, is it a diet thing? Someone has already posted this in this thread. I am just curious - doesnt eating enough servings of veggies and fruit and drinking plenty of water help? The diet in my part of the world is heavily reliant on veggies /fruits / whole grains, and I hardly know anyone who needs anything more than their normal diet.

nope that doesn't work at least not for me. I only eat vegetables and fruits and some protein. I don't eat anything else! ugh :confused:

The intestine works by rhythmically pulsing food through. That pulsation is controlled by hormones. Also, a lack of essential fatty acids can create an issue.

i have issues from the time i ovulate to my period, and apparently, when I ovulate, I have multiple fluid filled cysts that rupture and cause irritation/inflammation and my colon slows down due to it. (psuedo illeus)..anyway, since supressing ovulation with the Pill, I am 100% regular going #2! Seems weird, but it's true

metamucil 1 tbsp in 8 oz water/juice twice a day every day. Then when needed you can use prune juice or 3/4ths prune juice and 1/4 milk of magnesia. And ditto on increase your water and fiber (veggies/fruit) intake.

I used to have the worst problems going. Sometimes, I could go a whole week. Talk about uncomfortable. It turned out I was hypothyroid. Once I started taking Synthroid and got my thyroid working again, I started going everyday. It's been a blessing.

AMITIZA? Is that still on the market? It's indicated for women with IBS. As a pharmacist, I haven't dispensed this in a long time....but that doesn't mean it's not commercially available....

My mother has this problem. She sears by digestive enzymes. You can get them at vitacost. Also, muscatine (sp?)The skins have a lot of fiber. But be careful, I at so many of them that I couldn't leave the house!
Lorrie

My mother has this problem. She sears by digestive enzymes. You can get them at vitacost. Also, muscatine (sp?)The skins have a lot of fiber. But be careful, I at so many of them that I couldn't leave the house!
Lorrie

I've never heard of this. I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant. Could you check the spelling for this? I'm intrigued. Boy, couldn't leave the house? Now THAT'S what I need! :D

Bam

I've never heard of this. I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant. Could you check the spelling for this? I'm intrigued. Boy, couldn't leave the house? Now THAT'S what I need! :D

Bam

I've never heard of it either. Is it a fruit?

Bam, I don't think you really want a "not able to leave the house" experience (I've had those with Oxypowder and with the pills plus the Miralax stuff I had to take to prep for a colonoscopy).

But this should be a sure-fire way to get things moving:
soak 4 pitted prunes overnight in 1 cup water (at same time, make chia gel by soaking 1 pt chia in 4-5 parts water). In the a.m. blend the prunes and their soak water with 2-3 Tbsp. chia gel and enough water to make a nice consistency. (Note: I've never tried this, but knowing the properties of both chia and prunes, I'd be surprised if it didn't work, unless you didn't have enough water with it. If anybody tries this, let me know how it works. I am rarely constipated---sometimes when travelling--so I never have to resort to stuff like this).

I've never heard of it either. Is it a fruit?

Bam, I don't think you really want a "not able to leave the house" experience (I've had those with Oxypowder and with the pills plus the Miralax stuff I had to take to prep for a colonoscopy).

But this should be a sure-fire way to get things moving:
soak 4 pitted prunes overnight in 1 cup water (at same time, make chia gel by soaking 1 pt chia in 4-5 parts water). In the a.m. blend the prunes and their soak water with 2-3 Tbsp. chia gel and enough water to make a nice consistency. (Note: I've never tried this, but knowing the properties of both chia and prunes, I'd be surprised if it didn't work, unless you didn't have enough water with it. If anybody tries this, let me know how it works. I am rarely constipated---sometimes when travelling--so I never have to resort to stuff like this).

Ha, yeah Kathryn, not literally not being able to leave the house but I'd love to be able to regulate something that gives you a kick like that! Because of my very obstinate system, I can't use chia seeds. I severely bloat with them even with plenty of water and don't get the desired "release". ;) Prunes do help me but I have to take lots of other stuff as well. I've been dealing with this problem the majority of my life and I just don't get the same results as the average person. My body many times acts the opposite of the intended result. It's been much trial and error for me and I still don't have anything that's a sure fire method but I have found what helps the most for me currently as I stated in my earlier post.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Bam

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/muscadinegrape.html

It is a wild grape. It has a tough, bitter, fiberous skin an a yummy, sweet, chewy glob center with the seeds. I get them when I visit my parents in Mississippi. I love them, but some people don't like the skin and that's where all the fiber is.
Lorrie

Great Lorrie! Thanks for the link. I'm on the east coast and don't know if they get delivered here but I will look for them. As far as the bitterness, I can handle it. I won't even tell you some of the things that I've consumed that could jump start even a demolished car! :p I hope I can find them. Thanks again.

Bam

I was born constipated, seriously, since I was a baby. I finally had a colonoscopy showing nothing particularly wrong except for a twisted, tortuous colon prone to constipation.

I steer away from stimulant laxatives and go with fiber, bulk. I add some senna if there's interfering factors like travel which always messes things up. Things like MOM can have me doubled over with cramps.
I use pure wheat bran about 1/4 cup mixed into a small serving of whatever my favorite cereal is at the moment. plenty of liquid, mainly water. I eat a diet high in vegies, fruits, salads and whole grain but the bran is the mainstay and keeps things moving nicely. It's cheap... about $2 for a couple months supply and uncomplidated. regular groceries have it or if not, www.bobsredmill.com

I didn't see this mentioned upthread but there are some foods that will make you more constipated so you should avoid them as much as possible: dairy products(esp. milk!), peanut butter & bananas. All of these are binders and can increase constipation tendencies. My DH was drinking smoothies of plain yogurt, milk, banana & peanut butter and I told him it was "constipation in a cup." He finally gave them up and is much happier w/ his bathroom habits.

To everyone who needs to take a natural or chemical laxative, is it a diet thing? Someone has already posted this in this thread. I am just curious - doesnt eating enough servings of veggies and fruit and drinking plenty of water help? The diet in my part of the world is heavily reliant on veggies /fruits / whole grains, and I hardly know anyone who needs anything more than their normal diet.

Of course it helps, but it's not enough. I eat my weight in fruits and veggies every day (see my avatar), and yet when that time of the month arrives, the constipation hits. When I was younger, it lasted only a day or two, and wasn't really a problem. Now that I'm going thru periM, it can annoy me for as long as a week or even two weeks. DirtDiva on these boards told me about Swiss Kriss, and I've been using it and liking it. It's an herbal laxative.

ETA: As Gayle mentioned, I made the round to all my doctors first to rule out anything serious.

Last edited:
I used to have this problem BIG TIME, so I can relate. It is no fun, so I am really sorry for anyone who deals with it. I can tell you what worked for me: I finally was able to kick cheese, my once great love, and gave up other dairies years ago so now I have absolutely no dairy in my diet, and my constipation woes are now extinct. I also eat a diet that consists mostly (as in more than half, probable closer to 2/3 of what I eat) of fresh fruits and veggies, and I eat very little animal protein. I do eat some breads, but it is almost always the whole grain variety. Also, the only thing that I drink is water and a few teas a week, and I drink a lot of water. It's been nothing but smooth sailing for over a year. :D

I do wonder about what Vee said; so much of our American diet is processed, filled with refined sugars and flours and is very high in animal proteins - not to mention all of the sodas and other HFCS drinks. I bet that does play a huge role in why so may people here are constipated compared to her neck of the woods. It would be an interesting study. :)

Good luck!

Missy

Hi Amanda,

There is a lot of helpful advice in this thread, and I hope you find something that works for you in the replies you have gotten. I know how miserable it can be. What works for one person doesn't always work for another, so it is just trial and error until you find the right solution.

I would like to add a product that works really well for me. I get it for the best price at vitacost. http://www.vitacost.com/Renew-Life-FiberSMART-Caps/pd_section-pr#ProductReviews

I have struggled with those same issues my entire life (I am 59 years old today) and this stuff works great. It is it not harsh and does not require isolation for the the next day or so. I took it both morning and night at first, until I got things under control, and now I just have to take it in the morning. I suggested it for my 20-year-old niece who also suffers from chronic constipation, and it works so well she insists she won't be without it ever. I also watch my diet--I eat lots of veggies and fruits, drink lots of water, and have cut way back on cheese (which I love), but diet alone doesn't completely solve the problem. This product does. It also comes in powder form, so you have other options if you want to put it in a shake or some other beverage.

Good luck to you--and I mean that sincerely!!!!

MissL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.