Self motivation

kimyenchu

Cathlete
OK. This is a burning question with me. I have been talking to people about exercising at home and the overall response from them is 'I wouldn't have the motivation to do that. I need to go to the gym and be with other people who workout. It's too distracting, I will always find something else to do etc.' blah blah. (The want to surrounded by all those fit bodies - for aesthetic reason or to drool over the women.) Now I get really pissed off when people respond like that - why the hell do they need external factors to make them do something only they themselve would benefit? To me that's just laziness and it's not surprise that these people are fat! OK, I am being harsh and no offence to anyone here who is overweight. The difference is that we (me included) are at least making an effort and trying as best as we can. I can't afford the bloody gym and I can't afford personal trainers, so I have to make do with this. I either do this or I do nothing and I cannot do nothing!

Is it really so hard to exercise? I mean do any of you have problems motivating yourself? I don't (I find it quite fun to step with Cathe and her crew and looking at them is enough motivation for me). My goal is to get fit and stay slim and I just workout to get there. Why is that so hard? I just think if you are not displined enough to succeed at this then you can never succeed at anything in life because there are so many things that require harder work. This is a synch compare to running your own business, climbing Mount Everest, the Olympics or even running a marathon and I have no motivation to do any of that!

I have a friend not a Cathite or anything but like you she gets her motivation from herself she works out at home doing what is good for her she has tried gyms but she works in a Doctors surgery so she doesn't always feel like going. She looks good has lost lots of weight and is very happy with herself.

I think at first you do need external motivation but at some point you need to motivate yourself.

Babs

I personally couldn't/chose not to make time for exercise for several years because I always put kids, husband & work before myself. When I was motivated to do so, I started out as a home exerciser for a year but then joined a gym when I moved closer to my mom & sis. I looked forward to seeing them during the week and miss being able to roll my eyes at them when the instructor did some crazy power move or smile when getting through a complicated step section. I am now back to home exercising and am now motivated by seeing how far I can push myself and how much easier it is to move through the world.

I guess everyone is motivated in different ways. As long as working out at home works for you.. it's all good!

Just my opinion, Sharon

Don't get me wrong. I would love to go to the gym, I just can't afford it and as long as I get results I don't care where I workout.

The responses have come from people who don't do either (gym or home).

Yen

I guess I'm the opposite - I would find it too easy to skip exercising if I had to go to a gym. But I'm not big on crowds anyway.

Exercising is the one thing I'm consistent at from a weight-loss standpoint, and that's because I find new things to keep it fun. Maybe people don't realize how much fun it can be to lift weights in the privacy of your home. :) Well we are ahead of our time I guess!

I think it would be fun to work out with Mom and Sis in a step class! But working in the gym with weights is very hard for me. The reason is that it's very hard for me to concentrate with other people moving around all about me (360 degrees around me). I seem to be able to concentrate much better at home without any movement or sounds around me. Weight workouts require good form and I need focus for that. Also, feeling whether my joints are tracking right requires concentration too.

Near where I live, the gyms I have gone to/looked at are crowded!! I would have to stand in line for each and every machine. There's hardly a place to stand in the free weight area. No thanks. If I had it all to myself, or a reasonable amount of space, then it might be more efficient, because I could do the lower body without pre-exhausting anything first-- save 4-6 minutes! Also I could use the assisted pull-up machine and maybe work my way up to doing real pull-ups. But would that make up for the time spent driving there, parking, signing in, locker fumbling, membership fees, etc? Not for me.
-Connie

I find it so much easier to work out at home as long as I make it a priority! I get home from work and quickly change into my gym clothes and go from there. I have joined so many gyms and go for a month then stop going. Either I can't stand the crowds or the one "gym queen" that is always there when I am working out. But everyone has their personal preference.

Beth

I chalk it up to the fact that most of us are in "instant gratification" mode. We want results and we want them quickly - and preferably without much effort on our part. Surely there must be a pill I can pop or a pair of "control" stockings or a miracle swimsuit I can use to give me a fabulous looking, healthy body!

We all know it takes time and, for some of us, getting in better shape can be a long process. Sometimes we try the latest and greatest miracle workout fad and it does nothing. I think it's really difficult for people to make the commitment to first find the method appropriate for them, then stick with it for the long haul. Just as successful weight loss involves changing the way you eat - not "dieting," successful fitness demands a lifestyle change. I think this is tough, too, if you weren't brought up in a physically active family.

Just my two cents,

Angela

Hi Yen!

How's the weather in the UK? Here in Toronto it's cold and rainy. And the days are getting so short! I don't mind dark evenings but hate the dark mornings. Long days are one of the only things I like about summer.

About the gym, after losing my initial weight walking to work, I joined a cheap gym and participated in a few classes on my lunch-hour. However, sometimes I couldn't make it because I was busy at work or the class was cancelled and I'd be bummed out. I had to figure out what to do to guarantee working out aerobically at least 3 times per week. After doing Tae Bo videos at home for a couple of months, I discovered the video fitness website and, of course, Cathe.

Nowadays, I only use the gym to supplement my home workouts. It also gives me something to do on my lunch-hour besides spend money and the gym is within walking distance from my office. Unfortunately, the classes are only about 30 minutes, but that's OK 'cause that's pretty well the only time I have.

The bonus for me of working out at home is I can make the time by getting up early and getting in a full hour of exercise. And once I start my workout (starting is the hardest, don't you agree?), there is only me, Cathe and the workout. No distractions. Also, at the gym, you're working on their schedule and the workout of THEIR choice, not yours. By working at home, you don't have the hastle of trying to get to the gym in time for the class, which can be very stressful.

Weight-training at home with Cathe is also better than doing it at my gym. At my gym, which I admit is a little hole in the wall, the weights corner is so small that people are trying to get around you and your barbell to get to their 3-lb weights. Very distracting. Or they wanna talk. Or you wanna talk. You see it all the time, a person idling on the only weight bench or on the only chest-press machine, talking and talking and talking(!!!) to a friend. That leaves you waiting -- lost precious time. With Cathe, every minute, every second is utilized.

What I'm kinda saying here, Yen, is if you're like me, you're more likely to get a better, and longer workout at home than at the gym. The only things missing at home are the cardio machines (I loathe them, despise them!) and the weight machines, which I hardly use. The only ones I do use are the leg machines. As far as the social aspect, once you're on the "dance floor", there's not too much socializing going on. Maybe because everybody else at my gym is also doing it on their lunch-hour, we barely have time to say "Hi. How are ya?"

As far as personal trainers go, I use Cathe. I mimic her every move and listen to her pointers.

Patricia

I think that if you are not brought up with fitness in
your life, it is harder to learn to integrate exercise
into your everyday life. I also think some people don't
know the true meaning of 'self-motivation' until their
health begins to fail.
Then, they discover the motivation (if they are lucky).

I also think that some people just have a personality that lends itself to social exercising and/or exercising at a gym (around other people, even if there is no interaction). I myself am a person that enjoys being alone and doing things by myself, and exercise is one of those things I enjoy doing by myself (and with Cathe and the gang, of course).

Kathy

Hi Kim

I quit the gym over two years ago - and have no regrets. I lost 25 lbs since quitting, and have kept it off for 1 1/2 years by regular exercise at home. I found it harder to pack a gym bag, get to the gym & shower there then to come home and do a workout, where it's much more convenient. I'm more regular at exercising now - and have no problems with motivation - there seemed to be many more distractions on the way to the gym than here at home! No more waiting for a shower - or dealing with the odd rude person. As a private person, I much prefer being at home :)

Whatever you decide - regularity & keeping it fun & of course - clean eating (which they never emphasized at my gym) are the key...all the best.

Susan

In response to one of your questions "Is it really that hard to exercise?" The answer is NO. But I agree with AKirkland and Kweller that if you're not brought up with an active family it will be harder to incorporate it into your life. My opinion is that this is where the old Nike slogan comes into play - "Just Do It" (I love that!). If they refuse to just do it, no matter what "it" is, the gym, videos, walking, whatever, then being fit and healthy is just NOT A PRIORITY for them. If they can give up so quickly on something that's so easy to do, then it just wasn't that important to them. It's easy to think of them as weak, and it's hard for us fitness fanatics to imagine fitness not being pretty high on our list of priorities, but they're not weak, they just have a different list of priorities, just as every human being is different. I am as baffled as you are about why people don't exercise. I've been dwelling on it for so many years and every few years my opinion about it changes, this is just my latest opinion, and it's probably wrong, and it will probably change as I grow older and (hopefully) wiser. All I know for sure is that they're missing out on something wonderful. If and when it comes to the point when their Doctor tells them they must do it or die, then it won't matter whether it's the gym or the videos, it will only matter that they do it.

Hello Connie,

That is exactly the problem that I have with gyms too. I used to go to the gym and I had to wait my turn for the weights. I couldn't work with weights on my own without an instructor standing beside me counting the reps and sets. With Cathe, I do things like pulses and 'crazy 8s' and feel my muscles really working.

I also find it a chore to come home and get my stuff and then set off again, or carry a large bag to work. I don't have the luxury of having a bath afterwards either.

People I have spoken to just don't seem to get it.

Yen

Hello Patricia,

My aunt lives in Toronto (well, not Toronto city but a town about 2 hours drive from it).

I agree with everything you say, I have spoken with some men and their attitude is that they go there to 'ogle' the women (women don't say the same thing when I ask them about the gym though), which kind of puts me off because I don't want to be 'ogled' at. Others go to the gym to 'pose' - put their muscular physique on show and attract women, which puts me off too because they make me feel intimidated and small. I get the feeling that they are watching to see how much weight I can lift and then go heavier to show off (I am sure I am just imagining this, but............).

I think it's a good idea to combine gym and home because I like the treadmill and I enjoy running, but running outdoors is a bit tough on my legs (I hope I will get used to it). I went to look at a gym last week and was just about to sign up until they asked for £100 upfront. The following day I was told I am going to be made redundant in 2 weeks so definitely no gym for me now.

Yen

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-02 AT 05:48AM (Est)[/font][p]I agree with AKirkland and Kweller too. My family does no exercise, except walking: my mother used to cycle and my sister....... well, forget her! My sister prides on the fact that she never exercises and is still slim, whereas I have to do it all the time and I am bigger than she is. My mother thinks I a 'fitness freak' and has often made comments to me about it and more than once those comments has totally incensed me and made me want to 'slap her' (I hate to say it, but it's true).

I was never encouraged to do sport while growing up and I am not good at it at all. I decided to exercise because I put on some weight and I also found that I quite enjoy aerobics and stepping (I used to do a little dancing at school) and now weights with Cathe. For me exercise is about staying active, if I was in a different job I would probably don't need to do it (I used to do waitressing and I was on my feet all day). I have other reasons, like avoiding osteoporosis in later life, avoiding the dreaded sagginess (I hate to say this, but I don't want to look like my mother when I am older - I still want to able to run around, be strong, have pert breasts and a flat stomache). And if I am going to live a long life (might not be the case) I don't want to spend 20 years of it with a walking stick or in a nursing home.

It's taken me a long long long time to get to where I am now because I have to learn about fitness and diet all by myself while suffering the snide comments of my family. Now not only family but friends have this attitude and I think it's so sad. The seem to think that they are invisible and they don't have to do anything (well, I have seen women with osteoporosis and let me tell you it's not a pretty sight).

Yen

Hey Yen!
I guess I am pretty lucky with the club I belong to. It's called "Big Vanilla" and is not a chain like say Bally's, which tends to cater, in my opinion, to the "dog and pony show". You know....lots of posers and people more concerned with what they are wearing, their makeup, etc. etc. At Big Vanilla I rarely see anything but regular people who are working out hard and staying motivated. I have seen the occasional young girl with the thong showing but I think they were told by the management in fairly short order that they needed to put some clothes on if they were gonna continue to workout there. It's a pretty serious place. The general manager is a "Mr. Maryland" competitor. And I must say that probably 95% of the people have been wonderful and very nice. There's plenty of weight room space as well as cardio space. The classes are offered at no extra charge. And they have racquetball, tennis, and karate. Two pools are being added. It's been a great experience for me to go there and is great to have as an option in addition to Cathe's tapes.
I feel I need the gym because sometimes I feel that being home means alot of distractions....kids, the dog, a million errands, etc.
Trevor :) :-jumpy
GO 24!!

Dear Yen:

You'll get no snide comments from me. I think you're GREAT!

But I know what you mean by stupid remarks from other people. Especially from family who can REALLY hurt you with a badly-chosen word. A couple of years ago I went to Florida with three of my sisters. We were frolicking in the 15-foot high waves. When we got back to shore, I commented to my sister that I had a crink in my neck and shoulders from the waves. She looked at me and said, "But Patty, I thought you were supposed to be physically fit!". Well, duh!! Even Cathe can't prepare me for 15-foot waves crashing down on me! And if there's a workout out there that does, I'll be sure to order it. "Quick! Somebody stand on a chair and throw a 10-lb medicine ball down at my head! Not enough! Let's go for 15! Thanks! Do it again!"

Onto a serious note (that's "doe", not "ray".) Yen, I'm sorry to hear about losing your job -- I know how depressing and frightening that can be! I could be in the same position some time soon.

But you'll be OK -- I know it. You're healthy, you're smart and very articulate.

Just know that you're in my thoughts!

Patricia

P.S. Yen:

Oops! Back to your earlier post. What town outside Toronto does your aunt (I think you said "aunt", right?) live in. Next time I drive past it, I'll say "Helllooo, Yen's aunt!".

Patricia

Hi Yen

I love this thread and your comments you are a real motivator for me because of you I am now starting to lift heavy (yikes)

Anyway family as I have previously said is weird and for parents throws up all sorts of issues that they may as individuals have difficulty articulating (my mother once reduced me to tears but after talking it out really hard I realised she was being critical because she didn't know how to be complementary).

My father used to always say to us he wasn't our friend but our father. This would really upset me but in recent years I have come to appreciate this. I know what my relationship with my father is several of my friends have either no or very disatisfactory relationships with their fathers. But regard my dad as a "daddy" if you know what I mean we are his children.

His only comments about my appearance was hating me getting my haircut (the first time when I was at school) and getting too chunky otherwise nothing.

Yen just keep going, my brother recently said to me "I really like it when you lose weight you really look good", that kept me going for weeks.

Babs

Gosh! I have forgotten where she lives now. It's on the tip of my tounge, I know it. It will come to me............ Nope, don't have it anymore.

I will find out and let you know. I was in Toronto to see her a couple of times and I like Toronto. I wouldn't mind living there.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.