Runner's Check-in - TGIF, June 9

Hi Cheetah runners,

Well this rat is working her way off that spinning wheel and I'm getting a haircut today, so I should resolve my bad hair problem by 2 p.m.

I did P90x Legs & Back today & ab ripper which was hard and then I did a very slow & easy 3 mile run.

Barbara -- good luck to you as your work through the panic attacks. Not an easy thing to deal with and I'm sending you good vibes!

Carole -- I loved your happy dance icons for meeting up with Christine. That will be so fun. You cheetahs must take some photos. Did you do your interval run yesterday outdoors on a trail or pavement? How do you pace yourself? I often skip KM stretch, but like the warmup. I will try to remember to do the KM stretch. If I am remembering right, there is a pigeon stretch on there, which is a great one.

Cathy --I am impressed you run at 8 p.m. I could never do that. I am truly an early bird. Also impressed you teach 8th graders. Hard job! I'm not crazy about the first 4 intervals on IMAX2, but like the later ones. I'm not one for step that is too dancy -- but on IMAX 2 & 3, I like the 2nd half of the tape. I also like IMAX 1. I think increasing running by time is a good thing to do.

Christine -- You are doing some tough workouts: kickboxing, KM blasts -- and your HR is 140 low for you? Maybe you are in better shape re: running than you realize -- like you hinted at last week about the treadmill (the towel game) and the slow feeling thing is that you need to push througha plateau??? (Just brainstorming here....) Sounds like you did great with your cardio coach sprints ! Yikes! That's awesome. I bet your 7 mile run this weekend will go great.

Gayle -- Hi Gayle! My brother's (now 52) wife died of Leukemia about 5 years ago. They dated from the time she was in 9th grade. Just devastating. She was like a big sister to me and I fill my Ipod with songs that remind me of her spirit. I did that for my half--and felt like I was working through something being able to run and think about her. My brother went into a cave for years, but is now remarried and rebuilding. Around the same time, one of my teachers/mentors of many years died suddenly of cancer. It's hard to metablolize these things mentally. I don't feel like for me it "goes away" but it's something I revisit daily and I think it keeps getting "worked through" with each new opportunity knocking on the door, and every day good things happen! It takes a lot of work to remember all the good there is, and it's amazing you can focus on that!!!!!!

Jess-- didn't realize you were training for a marathon. Sounds like you have a good in-sync thing going on with your training, pushing it and listening to your body. Nice for you that you are enjoying all the positive comments about your weight loss!

Judy - bummer about the chafing, but great distance run! I find ME abs hard! Have fun reuniting with DH.

Karen--Cool, cool, cool Karen that you are joining a running group. I think this seems like something you'll love. Glad you had a good run on Thursday. Hope your short run today and PH went well.

Karin - Hi!

Marcia -- Amen that it is hard to follow through with plans for eating right, training sticking to a rotation, etc. Each day is a challenge to stick to the long-term vision! Hope your WW meeting went ok. I did WW after my 2nd kid was born and hated the weigh-ins, but learned a lot from WW> Have fun at the street dance!

Mattea -- My niece goes to Hamilton College -- is that near upstate NY? Your workouts sound great. I could not do the workout you did Thurs: BBW + floor, plus powerwalk and pushups is a lot of conditioning.-- followed by an interval run today & Coremax. You are running on a hydrolic motor here!! Congrats on your PH.D progression!
About P90x, I bought it for my husband after reading posts here from others like Carole and Christine about the format. It really suits my DH who I think was feeling embarrassed doing Cathe tapes...I am not experienced enough with P90 to describe what they are all like, maybe Carole & Christine can explain.
But I've done Core Synergistics 3 times: it's more functional/compound weight moves that integrate the core into weight work. It reminds me of sports training drills a trainer would have you do that are sports-specific --- only these exercises could help you in the twists, turns, rotations of everyday life. I did the shoulders & arms tape once, and it's kind of a superset approach, but you work to your Max reps with your max weight and keep track. I feel invited to be more honest about how much weight I can lift and how many reps it takes to reach "failure." I am getting used to it and like it so far. I really like the stretchX tape.

Laura -- so glad you are feeling better today and enjoying your Garmin. Allergies are the pits and I'm glad you will see a doc to help you figure out if there is something more persistent going on with your health to help get you back to feeling tip-top.

Shelly -- glad you liked the age calculator! It's fun. My friend who is going to work on the peds ICU is really a special person. Her daughter, who survived the brain tumor, is even more special. They both really inspire me to be better in many ways. How was your hour on the elliptical? Do you have one at home or go to a gym? MM is a killer tape for me.

Wendy -- it's here, it's here!!!! Mr. YP is at Wendy's house!!! Yay!!!
What do you think? Isn't it nice that he is so encouraging? How do you like the Jari Love tapes? About speed work: I agree with Jess that it's important to do. But I also think one step at a time is good. (IMHO --for what it's worth )it's good to build up a solid foundation of running miles and get your body used to that before introducing too much speed work.
The books I've read talk about how the most common error runners of all levels make is trying to increase speed & distance too quickly at the same time and increasing risk of injury. Fantabulous that you are increasing your mileage: 4 miles at your usual pace must have felt great!

Hi to everyone else: Pamela, Sarah, Sherry, Thomasina, Elaine..

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Barb
:) :) :)

RE: OK, I got my run in...

judy I bought my garmin at walmart.com for 158.00 plus shipping and handling. I just downloaded the training center and it shows you graphs and where you where at most of your heart rate zones etc....

I love this little gadget! I say get it if you are thinking of it, its real handy. its nice running and not having to watch your pace ,heart rate etc.. yourself. I go home look at what I ran, distance wise ,heart rate and pace.

Re: marathon training. I wasn't sure if I was going to commit to the training over the summer, but now that I have my running buddies during the week I think I'll do it. My buddy Erin has done 6 marathons now & Melissa has done 5, but she's training for a different one in Oct. The only hard thing is that sometimes my dh has things going on Sat morning so I'll have to be flexible for our longer runs.

I injured my foot during my last attempt at marathon training so I still don't want to get my hopes up, but this time I'm only running 4 days a week & Erin & I plan to bike once a week plus I'll keep up w/ my Cathe workouts & pilates!

Too funny about the rat & fixing the hair problem!! ;-) Enjoy your hair cut, I'm way over due for a trim!! My hair is just so thick & heavy, I need more layers again too! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, hope you can relax a bit!

Hugs,

Hello again!

Karen: Ooooh I'm so excited for you joining the running group! Can't wait for the day when you tell us you've entered a marathon! WOO HOO!:)

Marcia: I enjoyed Ripped. I was able to stay w/Jari's weight load and felt it plenty for most muscle groups. She was light on the legs but I like to stay really light for leg work anyway so it didn't bother me and you can always use heavier weight. She stretched between each muscle group after working it and there was also a stretch at the end. It's not the toughest weight work out I've done but I enjoyed it. I wanted something to replace SS (which I bought and can't stand!!!!x( ) and it fits the bill nicely. I am getting Slim and Lean and Ripped to the Core as well. They are supposed to be more advanced than Ripped so I'm really excited to try them as well.

Mattea: Good luck with that pepper spray! I hope you never have to use it! My Ripped review of sorts is above. I liked it. I will be getting her other 2 work outs soon.

Carole: LOL! You are too funny with Mr. YP!}( Sounds like were in the branches...I was in the back office and thank goodness for that! I could NEVER have kept my cool face to face in a branch if someone ticked me off! LOL }(

Jess: Isn't collections a wonderful area to work in!? LOL It toughens you up though! That's for sure! I got into countless fights with people cause they some how thought they were too good to have to pay thier bills on time! :7 :7 :7
I try my best to kick up my speed in some regard once a week but like Gayle, I find it hard to fit it all in at times. So much to do and so little time!}(

Barb: I haven't done YP yet. Hard to judge based on what I saw as I've never done yoga before. I'll keep you posted though as I plan to try it this weekend.

Hello to Judy and Laura!

In regards to Mr. YP...I have a question...I know you are not supposed to stretch a "cold" muscle. Does this mean I need to "warm up" first if I am not going to work out prior to doing Mr. YP?? TIA!
:)

Judy -- thanks for the geography help! Have a great weekend. Congrats to you that your son was recruited and chose to go where he wanted to go.

Wendy -- I think it's a good idea to be "warm" before Yoga or to go into it slowly. I have a long torso and need to be careful I don't overstretch before my muscles can handle it ....The tape has you gradually get into it though -- he tells you not to push it early on and warm up with each pose/series...Thanks for the info on Jari.

great weekend to all.

Jess -- thanks for the good wishes on haircut. I just got back and feel better that my rat with bad hair look has been transformed!!

Barb

Judy-As your runs get longer and the weather gets warmer you'll probably want to invest in some Bodyglide or the like, but for now you can improvise nicely by covering the chaffing prone areas with antiperspirant and a little vaseline. Which direction from Rochester is Hamilton? I'm near Binghamton right now.

Carole-Yes, well great minds think alike and fellow cheetahs post at the same time:p

Laura-Yes, see the doc and get things straightened out. BTW, officially jealous of the Garmin!

Jess-Sounds like so much fun with your girls today. Wish them luck in the fun run!

Karen-Hey right back at you busy lady! I love Imax 2, don't you?

Barb-Whew! P90 sounds like some tough stuff (no wonder Carole and Christine are so into it!). Thanks for the acknowledgement on the workouts, especially since getting my butt out the door for the interval run this morning was not an easy thing, lol:) But I felt great by the end and even added on some strides and a slightly longer cooldown. And don't forget, I couldn't run a half marathon, so we're diverse, equal but different:7 I don't know where Hamilton College is, but it could be very close by for all I know. I live near Binghamton, NY if you have any idea where that is in relation to Hamilton. It's a very lovely feeling to never have to take a class again, I only have exams and dissertation left! Talk about a marathon...

Wendy-I'm with you, I hope I never have to use the pepper spray either, but better safe than sorry. Ripped sounds pretty cool, I just have such a hard time staying motivated with anyone but Cathe, or Mr. YP:p Barb's right, he takes you through the moves pretty gradually and has you do some poses and moves that help your body to feel warm (accumulate heat) before you stretch further. However, for your first time you might want to warm up with a light workout beforehand.

My new shoes came this afternoon!! They feel amazing and I can't wait to try them for a real run. I already took them around the block, but legs were a little tired after the interval run today, so I didn't go as far as I wanted. I ended up getting a great deal from a place in Mt. Laurel, NJ (those who went on the Roadtrip might recognize the name, lol!). Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...800-4697608?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=1036592
Mattea

Barb and Mattea, thanks re mr yp!

Mattea, I know motivation can be TOUGH to keep up! It can be hard for me to do cardio at home any more cause I am so "addicted" to my cardio work outs at the gym!}( Use Jari in conjuction with a Cathe cardio to stay motivated!}( Or tell yourself you can't go out for a run unless you do your Jari vid FIRST!;) LOL

I just got back from shopping and I just had to buy the Runner's World Complete Book of Running for Women. I can't wait to get started after all the rave reviews everyone gave it. :)

I am planning an early morning 4 mile run tomorrow. I'm so tempted to do it tonight it's nice and cool outside, but I need to rest from yesterday and I'll do it in the morning to energize myself for the street dance.

Marcia.

Mattea--I have zero doubt you could run a half marathon. Thanks for the equal but different spirit and the chafing tips. Congrats on your run and being so far along with your degree! Long haul on both exercise and academic fronts!

Judy -- thanks for the geography info again. I am not familiar with the area but my niece is loving school and it sounds like a great area to be in.

Wendy -- I also think the progression of poses in Mr YP is good, there is a gradual build up to "pigeon" so your legs are already very warm by the time you do this great stretch and I feel like I can really get a great glute stretch....

Barb
:) :) :)

Just a quick check-in… I ran 3 miles after school today – AND got caught out there in a lightning storm about a mile from my house. A bit freaky, I must say! I skipped GS BSB so I could watch the 2nd half of the Poland vs. Ecuador game, and now I’m gonna get ready to meet my gang for happy hour.

Marcia—sounds good. I am happy to say I am down another pound. Woohoo! And that is with my calories upped a bit. BFFM was a great recommendation.

Carole & Barb – I don’t *usually* run at night, just occasionally. I prefer to run in the AM (I’m an early bird, too) or almost immediately after school. Barb, glad you’re enjoying the new ‘do. I need a trim myself. Am waiting until right before I leave for vacation (in two weeks). Also treating myself to a pedi. Can’t wait!

Mattea—Mt. Laurel is just a stone’s throw from me. I clicked on the link, but I’ve never heard of that place. If the Shoe Fits? Hmm, wonder where that is.

Jess—Thanks—my Cathe collection is somewhat limited, too. But I dig kickboxing, so I think I’d lean toward KM as my next purchase (instead of one of the steps.)

Laura—the more you talk about that Garmin, the more I want one. How big is it? Do you wear it on your arm? I am a big fan of the GS series. Love, love, love it! (More than PUB.)

Judy—Understood that life gets busy. This thread is hard to keep up with on slow days! Other runners I know swear by that Body Glide stuff. I haven’t used it. I like Balmex, too (for babies).

Hi to Karin, Karen, Wendy, Thomasina, Elaine, Shelly C, and everyone else who follows.

Enjoy your Friday night & good luck to anyone racing this weekend!
~cathy :)

Cathy the garmin has the belt that you wear around your chest and then the garmin itself is like wearing a sports watch but a little bigger. At first I thought man this is big but after 5 workouts with it, it doesnt bother me at all.

I wish I had a running group that I could join around here, that would be fun.

I have a running book that is just for women. It might be the runners world. I got it through the mail several months ago.

chat with yo all later!

Cathy.....Oooohhhh, you just hit on one of my worst fears of outdoor running ASIDE from run-ins with unfriendly creatures, LOL! I am scard to death of T-storms!!! If I ever got caught in one during a run, it would certainly cause me to pick up my pace to get to shelter ASAP!:eek:

So where are you going on vacation? I'm leaving in just under 2 weeks for a cruise out of NY myself and intend on a hair cut and mani/pedi prior to leaving as well!:+

Wendy-
i just looked at all your pictures. My gosh you look great ! Muscles!!!!!
Your son is so cute and Clyde seems like he's a good big brother.

Thanks for the reminder that a mani/pedi is a good idea. I always put it off and regret it when I look down at my feet in July ....

barb

Good evening Cheetahs!

I typed a message last night, but I guess I forgot to hit post. :) Now I'm so far behind I think I'll just start fresh tomorrow! (We are definitely a chatty bunch :D)

Yesterday I did P90X Shoulders and Arms (DH even joined me for part of it.) Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to get to Bryan Kest yesterday, so maybe I'll try it tomorrow. Today was a 3.5 mile run, P90X Legs & Back, and about 1/2 of AbRipper X (I could't finish it because my quads kept cramping).

Wendy, when I finally get to Mr. YP, it'll be my first time.

Gayle, I can't imagine what you're going through, but please know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Cathy, my dh's family is from Trinidad so they're pretty excited about the world cup.

Hi Shelly, Barb, Barbara, Jess, Elaine, Thomasina, Carole, Sarah, Karen, Karin, Amy, Laura, Christine, Marcia, Mattea, and Judy!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Pamela

Thanks Barb! You are sweet! Get those toes done girl!;)

Pamela, I am hoping to do a little YP after my run tomorrow morning.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.