Runners Check-in Sun June 4

Mckmain

Cathlete
Good morning cheetah runners

Thoughts and prayers to Karen and her family...

Good luck to the racers, Elaine, Mattea, Barb, and Laura!

I'll be doing a tough trail run of about 18.6 miles today. Alot of rocky uphill...

Enjoy your day...:)

Carole- be careful on that long run! It is a good thing you rested yesterday!

Karen- You are in my thoughts and prayers; it can be a difficult time.

Today is my rest day, and I am thankful because after doing Kick Max full force yesterday my bum has DOMS. I may try to get in some abs and extra stretching later.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Good morning Carole and Judy. I slept in late again. I think today will be a rest day for me too. It is TTOM for me and I feel horrible.

Judy Im glad I had the right Judy:) I live just 3 miles from Little Flowers.

Carole I posted pictures of my dog Cinder on my picturetrail. I can't believe I still have it. I thought maybe that wipe it out.

Good luck to all the racers today.

Judy...enjoy your rest day and thank you, I will be careful...:)

Barbara, Cinder is a beauty! Quite the same coloring as Sadie. Sadie lays like that too!! I remember looking at all your pics when you went to Cathe's gym. I like the pics of your Dad, he looks like he was a very happy man. My Dad passed away in 1997 and he had quite the sense of humor...:)...Resting is good during TTOM, hope you feel better soon...

Good Morning.

Carole-Sounds like a great run you have planned! Have fun with it!

Judy-Take care of that bum!;)

Barbara-I'm taking a rest day today too. ENJOY!:)

My thoughts and prayers and with Karen and her family.

I was not around yesterday because DH and I spent the afternoon in NYC. We went to see a show and then had dinner. It was a great day despite the yucky weather.

Yesterday morning I was hemming and hawwing over wether to go to the gym or run outside. It was cloudy dreary and LOOKED like rain but it was NOT raining. I got in my car and when I got more than half way to the gym I changed my mind and turned around! LOL I wanted to run outside this weekend and there was no GOOD reason not to so off I went.

On my last/firt outdoor run I did approximately a 2 mile route running for 6 mins and walking for 1 and repeating that pattern until the route was complete.

This time (#2) I increased the running time just a bit. I ran for 7 minutes and walked for 1. I did okay but at times I just could not wait for that 7 minutes to be up!!!:p

Today is a rest day for me though I hope to get some ab work in as I have neglected them this week and then maybe Stretchmax.

I have to pick up my med for my neck this morning and hopefully I will feel normal by tomorrow.

Well, it's time to go get the lil' one...I'll be back later!

Hi, ladies. Again, I was MIA yesterday here on the boards. Quiet weekend with quality time with my boys.

I'll have to go back and read yesterday's posts. I missed something, I can tell.

Wendy-good job on your run! Slow and steady....you're getting there! Keep up the great work and take care of that neck.

Carole-enjoy your run.

Barbara & Judy-enjoy the rest! AHHHHHHHHH!

As for me....yesterday's workout was Christi Taylor's Totally Cool STep (before the DVD started to skip) and PUB. Then this morning, I decided to do something different. Since I'm not officially training for any runs, I thought I'd do a long step workout instead of a long run. So......Christi Taylor's Solid Gold Step and then CAthe's Step Jam. Then Core Max 1 and then more abs while playing on my new toy (power tower).

OK.....I've got to check our race list. See where we are and who's running, when, where, how, etc!

Happy Sunday!

Gayle

ETA: I just read yesterday's posts:

Karen-my prayers are with you and your family. The kids will pull thru, as will the rest of the family. Oh, I don't know what else to day.

Shelly-You did great!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so pumped up right now!

Good morning lovely Cheetah Ladies!!!

DH went running yesterday and his knee is bothering him, so he's going to the gym today instead of hiking. I'm feeling yesterday - but that's okay. I think I'll go take a quick 2-3 mile run (just a short one to let me know that I can still run!), then come back and do something - maybe Legs and Back or Legs and Glutes or some other leg workout as I didn't get one in this week. Yesterday we bought out the mall - got new sheets for the girls, new pillows for DH and me, an area rug for the living room and a matching entry way rug, then Ann Taylor Loft's year was made by my shopping spree :p. I soo love their clothes. I got a jersey skirt with a tank top that looks so cute and is wonderful just to wear around the house. And it's so much more comfy than shorts. But I digress...

GO BARB GO! How'd the race go?

Wendy - WAY TO GO on the outside running!! That's fabulous.

Barbara - hope you're feeling better soon. TTOM leaves me in a puddle. Cinder is gorgeous. Labs are wonderful dogs. And Cinder was the name of my grandmothers dog when I was a kid. Wonderful dog and wonderful lady, so looking at your photos brought back some fabulous memories. Thank you!

Judy - enjoy your butt DOMS and your rest day!! Kick Max can kick butt, I know!

Carole - thanks for the encouraging words. I cannot tell you how frustrated I was yesterday (the shopping spree did help, though :+). It's a recovery week for me starting tomorrow, so I'm thinking the lack of hard core weights might help as well. I'm actually following it completely this time. Yoga in the AM - run in the afternoon - tomorrow.

Mattea - again, thanks for the encouraging words. I really do appreciate it!

Karen - let us know how it goes - we're thinking of you!

Hello All! Feeling pretty good despite yesterdays strenuous race.
Today will e a relaxed 5 mile run, then some HSC (love that one)

Karen- I posted a message for you on the Open Forum, I hope you see it and realize how much we all care.

Good luck to all the racers today- Elaine, Mattea, Barb and Laura

Laura- your story in particular is inspiring!

Carole- your run today sounds like a killer! 6 miles on a similar course yesterday just about did me in- I just can't imagine doing that for 18+ miles!!! You are one tough lady:eek: :eek: :eek:

Barbara- Enjoy your rest day, although it may be hard to do TTOM:(

Wendy- You went for the outdoor run again--Good for you :7 :7
Actually this time of year the overcast days are perfect for running.
The sun can really drain your energy! Keep up the good work!

Gayle- How nice to hear from you! Thank you so much for your encouragement. I may not perform as spectacularly as alot of our cheetahs here but I'm proud nonetheless when I race and put out my best effort :) :) I love stringing together challenging step workouts on days when I do crosstraining also.

Just a side note on my race yesterday that I forgot about. When they initially posted results they had my age down incorrectly as 55. (Although I'm not too far away from that) Anyway, I wouldn't have cared but they had me down as 2nd place. I just couldn't let it slide and deprive someone of their award. It took some doing to get ahold of an official but I persisted and he promised he would change it. That made me feel good! I checked the official results today and I came in 7th for my division but it was for 40-49 yrs,
not45-49. Being 49 I felt pretty good about my accomplishment!

Okay, enough babble, time to get to work! Hi to all who follow, I'll check back later.

ShellyC

Hi Christine!! We were posting at the same time so I missed you earlier. Thank you so much for your encouraging words yesterday!!
As to your "bad" run... it happens to us ALLx( x( The trick is to use it as a learning experience which you have obviously done and to move on! Also, there really is nothing like some good shopping to cure any blues! :7 :7 Have a great recovery week...you deserve it!

ShellyC

karen like everyone else has said, you will be inour thoughts and prayers. Know that you have us to talk to if you need someone.

carole you go girl! wish I had your energy to do all those long runs. How do you decide how long you are gonna run each day? are you following a rotation of some kind?

shelly that was very nice of you to considerate of you to go to the lengths to make sure that other person gets recognized for their accomplishments. your a good person and an honest one. I am like you ,my concious would have gotten the better of me.

I ran my 5k today despite still not feeling 100%.I did pretty decent I guess. I had to take two walking breaks because of my breathing. It was definately a challenging course too, I finished in the 26 min category. Dont know exact time yet because they didnt have them posted and I didnt watch the clock when I came in but I noticed that when I was running up it was in that time frame. I know it wasnt better than my other times. It was definately past the 26:14 range. But nevertheless, I came in 1st in my age group.YAH!! I was right with my SIL up until the 2mile mark and then that is when I had to catch mybreath with a couple of walking episodes. Not long ones but still had to walk a bit. I feel weak still dont know how long it will take for that feeling to go away. I have to more races this month and am hoping I will be back 100% for them.

goodluck barb and let us know how you do!!!!

Question to all you sucessful runners:
Are you a group who have those slim hips (well, I know Carole does---NOT FAIR!). Seems the most sucessful runners don't have wide hips that tend to slow one down....just wondering. I could never run very well, like I mentioned before, I was never able to break that sixty minute mile.

Tallchick....NO! A BIG FAT NO!!!!!! LOL. I do not have those slim hips you talk about...not at all. LOL. Seriously, I have a typical athletic build....wide hips, thick quads and calves that could stop a car from rolling away! Always have...always will. These areas have gotten smaller as I lost weight, but they're still THERE!

Laura-YOU DID GREAT! GREAT JOB! It seems as if a few of us are still not feeling 100%. Just lingers, doesn't it! AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gayle

Shelly - Hi there! Yes we posted at the same time! Good job with being honest. 7th isn't bad at all the first time you run a course like that! You should be darned proud!!

Tallchick - no, I don't have wide hips, but I certainly do not have slim ones. I havea big build over all, and I'm as tall (or close to as tall) as you are - I'm 5'10. I run slower than some of the cheetahs here, but that's okay.

Laura - GREAT RACE!!! If you're dealing with what I am, I think you did incredible! WAY TO GO!!!

I ended up doing Legs and Back, then realizing it was warm for a run, so I did IMax 3 - I think a run would have been easier. LOL. Actually, the first few were tough, but there's nothing like a good cardio session after a leg workout to get the lactic acid out. I feel so much better now. Ready to go wear some of my new clothes and do some grocery shopping... :p

Laura, you are inspiring without a doubt! I've encountered so many asthmatics who use it as an excuse not only to avoid exercise but for just about anything. KUDOS to you, first in your division!!!!
:7 :7 :7 :7
Tallchick- interesting question! I consider myself to be of a medium frame. At racing events there are people of every shape imaginable, honestly! I have been soundly beaten by many very "large" ladies. The shape of your body isn't nearly as important as your will and determination.

ShellyC

Hi cheetahs--
Just checkin' in on this gray Sunday...

Karen—thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Keep us posted.

Christine—I’m a Loft junkie, too. Love their stuff! And Ann Taylor, too.

Wendy—which show did you & the hubby see? I love NYC and try to see several shows a year.

ShelleyC—congrats on your 7th place age group finish. With respect to the award, what you did was good karma. And good point about the size of your frame not necessarily correlating with speed.

Laura—Running a 26-minute 5K when not feeling up-to-snuff is AWESOME! Congrats on the 1st place finish.

Carole—I feel like a wimp whenever I read about your workouts. *lol* Rock on!

Barb, Mattea, and anyone else who raced today…hope it went well & you feel that “good” post-race tired. Fill us in on your results when you can.

Hi to everyone else…hope you enjoy your Sunday!

I wound up not doing KPC yesterday but opted instead for a 6-mile run with one of my friends. I did KPC – well, as much as I could – today. I now understand it REALLY stands for kill, perish, and croak. Wow—what an intensity! I followed it with SH Tri & Bi. My overall impression after trying both of these DVDs for the first time is that I am still in love with the GS series. And I do like kickboxing, but I suspect running will always be nearest & dearest to my heart.

On that note, I have some schoolwork to catch up with…

-Cathy

Good Afternoon Cheetahs!
Karen-I just want to let you know that you and your family are so much in my thoughts today! I wrote more at the end of last night's thread to let you know how much we are all feeling for you at this sad time.

ShellyC-That is so fantastic!!! At 49 you are out running so many at the lower end of your age group. I am continually impressed by you (and your honesty! I'm like you, I would never have been able to live with the fake award).

Laura-How exciting!! You did fantastic considering what you're carrying around in your head and chest. First!!!

Carole-Be careful on those trails! I'm sure you'll be amazing. DH were thinking about a trail race (our first) at the end of June, but there was a 'danger' disclaimer on the registration form that mentions servere injury or death and so that has sort of edged us towards the one at the end of July instead, on a much less challenging and apparently 'lethal' course. My FIL said that there were rattlesnakes on the trail and that might be why the danger.

Wendy-Nice job on the outside run today! I'm so glad you made the last minute decision to turn around and get yourself back on the path. Next week comes 8 minutes...

Christine-Yeah, give me a short run over Imax 3 anyday, especially after a leg workout}( Hope DH's knee starts to feel better!

Gayle-Glad you're enjoying the time with your family! Holy happy stepping batman!

Judy-Nothing like KM leg drills for some butt DOMS!

Cathy-Glad you loved KPC so very, very much!!

Tallchick-Slim hips? Not even close, mine are apparently built for bringing small ponies into the world, lol! But they have slimmed down recently with cleaner eating and the increased running, so that's one great result of running 'despite' by hips!

Today's race was SO much fun! DH and I were there very early (couldn't sleep so why not go?) which was great b/c we got to study the course, talk to the coordinators, and I snagged a small t-shirt ;-) There were a lot of local track runners, luckily they are all in the younger age division, lol. DH was fantastic at helping me keep my pace reigned in at the beginning and save some energy for the unknown hill. It was actually pretty long and steep, but DH and I have spent so much time on the hills around our home that it was nothing surprising or too challenging (although it definitely cut into my time). Also, I had to pee by mile 3 (a little overzealous on the hydration this morning) so the downhill at the end wasn't as effective as it could have been, lol. My final time was 25:31 (DH was 25:32) and I got 2nd place in my age group!! The woman who beat me actually runs with the Boston Runner's Club or something like that and was minutes ahead of me.
If you're interested I posted the b-day gift info at the end of yesterday's thread.
Thanks again for all the encouragement you cheetahs!
Unfortunately I can't do the very flat course later this month b/c of SIL bridal shower, but DH is going to run it to see what he can do without me to slow him down;-) His calf is feeling much better, btw.
Have a great day!
Mattea

mattea great job on the race!

cant wait to hear from barb.

thanks everyone for your support on the races. it means alot.

I get ticked at myself when I dont do as good as I hoped for but like you all said with still fighting this upper respiratory infection I still was is the 26+ zone the higher end of it but still in that time frame. I really want to break the 26min time frame . I was surprised that I place first. we got mugs. this race wasnt very organized but it was for a good cause.

tall chick I amwith the other girls, I definately have hips and thighs. I dont think size much matters as I have seen big girls pass me by and have great times. Its all about stamina,endurance! I am more athletic build like gayle, although gayle looks little in her pictures. I am only 5'2.5 sad to say!! but I always say good things come in small packages.:D :D

Enjoy your rest day Wendy!

Gayle looks like you had a fun workout...:)

Christine...shopping sprees do help with frustration...:)...hope your DH's knee feels better soon. I bet your recovery week will be wonderful..

Shelly...5 miles and HSC!! Way to go! Thanks...the course today was tough, no matter how many times I run it! Don't you just hate those 10 year age groups..:(...I would have done the same thing Shelly, giving back the 2nd place...you are a great lady!

Laura..I am following a P90X rotation of sorts. I always run fairly long on sundays preparing for my 50K. How far I go depends on a few things. The course, other friends running with me. I like to stick with 18 miles and above. 1st place!!! WOW...that is great on a tough course when you feel not so hot! http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble2/19.gif[/img]

Kate...you are just too cute...:)...trust me as runners really come in all sizes, shapes and ages. I have run so long I have seen it all...And I will say I am truly amazed at what runners can accomplish...:)

Mattea...I think they always put those danger disclaimers on trail runs...I ignore them...:)..I have not seen any rattlesnakes yet...2nd place is awesome Mattea...http://bestsmileys.com/signs16/19.gif[/img] Sounds like you had fun. Glad your DH's calf is doing better.

Cathy...you shoudn't feel like a wimp at all...I have run distance for about 10 years!! Glad you tried out KPC!!!

The 18 plus mile run today was tough. I ran with my sister and she was having a bad day so we did walk alot. I even got and ice bath of sorts as we go thru 4 creeks twice (out & back course) I kinda slipped on a rock crossing one creek and was in up to my chest...OMG..way COLD!!!! Then on the way back she saw a http://fla.fg-a.com/bear_001sm2.gif[/img]
Glad I missed that...:)...she said it just ran across the road (must have smelled us!)

Off to shower...:)

Hi Cheetahs of All Shapes and Sizes,
Karen--I am so sorry to hear about your grandma and your family going through a hard time with it. I am sending you all the very best vibes of support to get you through and praying, too. This has been a rough week.

thanks to everyone for so many words of support and encouragement about the Half-marathon today. I truly cannot believe I did it and can't believe it's over!!

My goal was to run the race and finish it, not run out of fuel (which I didn't) and I felt good for the most part. My time was: 1:58:12, better than I thought I would do. My kids and DH were happy to be cheering me on and it was just a great morning. We had a planned water-bottle handoff at mile 10 (mile 10 is whenthe course passes by my neighborhood) and my 12yo son enjoyed being in charge of that. I use an I-Pod when I run -- which a friend told me makes me not a "real" runner -- but my playlist was great: I had the song "Brick House" play three times during the run to remind me that this cheetah is made out of brick!

Highlights: it was raining this a.m. up through 8:30. The race started at 8:20, but it was really no big deal. The first two miles in the crowd (total race had a 5K, 10K and 1/2-marathon and 6000 total registered, but I don't know how many did the half.) was hard to navigate. Not tripping over everyone's tossed Gatorade cups was hard to navigate. I found the miles 8-10 hard and the last mile up that hill was hard, but great to see the finish line. But the early part of the race felt especially fun and free. There was an Elvis Impersonator at one location. The race goes down an long road for 9 miles, and people would come out of their neighborhood section to cheer on runners. It felt like a very local, homey event -- but crowded!!!

Just to ramble on:
I thought about you ALL today and it helped so much. At one point, I imagined Christine's typing: GO BARB GO! After about 4 miles, I realized Mattea could be eating a bagel.
I also though about Carole doing her trail run and some of the two-legged folks running in my race could have used a spritz of pepper spray. LOL.

I thought about Granny Cheetah aka Shelly -- who did a great job yesterday (trail running sounds like a very difficult variation on running)... telling me to just do the dang hill!! I don't know if I followed Sarah's words and made any of the hills in the later miles my B#%$tch. Laura inspired me to overcome my worries about this person and that person I might see since she has to chronically deal with the SIL.....I thought about Wendy hitting the streets and hopefully feeling better with the neck....

Laura--Congrats to Laura on you race. First place is awesome. I think your Garmin is being delivered this week....should be fun!

Carole -- Sadie is too cute. I loved that photo!

Mattea -- awesome job. I used the chair I had set aside. Sounds like you and DH had a great morning and fun getting to know the course.

Barbara & Judy -- enjoy your rest day! Rest is good!

Wendy-NYC sounds fun. Good job on your outdoor run. It's great your sticking with it, ven though it's hard. I hope the meds help your neck feel better.

Gayle-- family time is good. Sounds like you are enjoying the Christi Taylor steps. I may have to buy some??? But what is the power tower?

Christine-- shopping sounds fun. Sounds like you got some good stuff. Hope your DH's knee is better.

Tallchick-Hi! Great question. I think runners are in all shapes and sizes. Are you running now? I am 5'9".

Cathy- too funy: Kill perish and croak. Amen.

I'm going to stretch now, so I can move around like someone in my age group tomorrow a.m.

Have a great rest of the day.

:) :) :)
Barb
P.S. I have photos, but am figuring out how to post them. Technology whiz, I am not...

Hi my Cheetah runners, my friends, my support. I have posted a reply in the open forum to tell eveyone about my gandmother. She is doing as well as can be expected. It was so kind of you ShellyC to start that thread and for all of you to be thinking of me on some of your most important runs. Barb, and Mattea you girls did so wonderful I"m so very proud of you. I was truly thinking of you today . It's amazing what you begin to think of and remember as the day goes by. How you were when you were a child. What you are doing at this point in your life.

I have to say I thought of all of you on this forum my Cheetah friends. It really brings me to tears to here in everyones post from the first to the last my name and your prayers. I love all of you and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. It seems know matter where I am my Cheetah's will come a runnin when I need them. Thank all of you.

My girls are doing fine. They were just happy she is still here. Just like me.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.