Runners Check in June 3

Carole as usual put it wonderfully Karen....nothing to fret about, chill, you'll be FINE! It'll be a new experience. The first 1/2 mile or so in a large race can be interesting! Slower runners should position themselves in the back of the pack but inevitably you'll find yourself dodging around them at the start. Just do like Carole says and look more downward, watching the feet. And about the hills, I really don't think you're going to find them so bad, just keep those legs movin like a machine and you'll be cresting over that hill in no time!
Good luck......dont worry!!

ShellyC

karen like sarah said, take the hills like they are your b---h!
you are strong ,a hill is nothing for you! and like carole and shelly said the pack will clear out after about a half mile. I did a 5k ,relay for life and it had 15,000 and you had the choice of using a timing chip or not.

carole rest is definately good! enjoy it!

Thanks girls that does make me feel better. It's just very overwhelming. I can just imagine how a marathon would look.

Carole- You didn't misread me. I actually thought it was going around my foot. Good thing you told me about the shoe lace. I would be the only one trying to figure how to it on my ankel.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

As of right now I am not going to my 5k. We just got word that my grandmother has fallen from her bed and broke her hip. She has know idea who anyone is. She is in the hospital right now and they put a cafater (sp) in her and there is blood. Currently she has bladder cancer but this is unexpected what has happened. She doesn't know anyone. The doctor's think this is it, even if she pulls through. I am leaving in the morning with my mom to go to the hospital to see her one last time even though she won't know me. My girls are so upset and cying. It 's just sad. She needs to pass. Her quality of life has declined since Christmas so this is just somthing that I don't think she will recover from. She needs to be with my grandfather. So even though I will miss and love her I hope it is her time. Please pray for her and my kids. This is the first death they may experience. Karen

Good luck to Mattea and Barb. I will be with you in spirit.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Karen honey, I know this is late and at the end of the day but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your dear Grandma. I will post a message for you on the open discussion forum in hopes you will see it.

with much love for you

ShellyC

Oh Karen - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother! The race will be there next year - you go do what you need to do! Your family - all of you will be in my prayers!

Mattea and Barb - I'll be cheering you on while I hike.

Shelly - oh yeah! Trail runs are tough! Those hills and the rocks! Sounds like you did wonderful though! WAY TO GO GRANNY CHEETAH! I want to be like you when I grow up! (Yeah, you're what - 5 or 6 years older than me?!) And right back at ya - you always make me laugh. Thanks!

My run today - hmm, well, disaster comes to mind. I tried, Sarah and Carole, I tried, and I felt soo bad that I had to come back and report to y'all that I could not, and I do mean could not, run more than 3.5 miles. I had a slice of whole wheat toast w/ peanut butter on it, and that sat in my stomach and complained the entire time. On top of that I felt worse at mile 3 than I did last week at mile 6. I've been having difficulty getting up in the mornings - I'll get up and then promptly fall asleep on the sofa and have no energy to work out - normally by 5:30 AM, I bounce off the walls . I think I've been fighting something and it hit me hard when I tried to run today. So, I figure I'll eat well, drink lots of water and just try to take care of myself for the next few days, then next week, I'll do that 7 miles. I have time. Minor set back. I'll get out there and kick some booty this week. Although I'm sticking to yogurt and a banana this time.

Karen...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am sending a group hug your way http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/3.gif and don't worry there will always be other races.

Hey Christine...3.5 miles is NOT disaster! I can only imagine the week you have had. Let it go, tomorrow will be another day....:)...I even took a rest day after my week...very bizarre...eating well and drinking lots of water sounds like a good plan to me!!...http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/8/blink.gif[/img]

Dear Karen-I am so sorry about your grandmother. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers and Barb. This is such a difficult situation, but your girls have you and I know you are such a great mom and sensitive person that you will help them through this just fine. Barb and I will race for you tomorrow.

ShellyC-Way to go Granny Cheetah!!! I'm so glad you didn't fall and you totally TACKLED those hills. Just imagine how well trained you'll be for a slightly easier course.

Christine-Sorry your run was such an abomination, but we've all been there. Like you said, take care of yourself, extra food, water, sleep (Take a vitamin, get some more iron in the diet, lol), and the 7 miles will be there when you're ready. Think of this as a learning experience.

Laura-Good luck lady!! I hope you're feeling great for the race tomorrow!

Barb-I know you won't see this but I'm thinking of you!

Well the b-day was mostly just some quality time with my mom, lol! We don't have big sporting goods stores in this area, so the new shoes will come off the internet. I did get some cute new workout tops though. An all black one from Moving Comfort (a brand I really like) and another one with geometric shapes and very pretty colors. Also, my mom gave me a special pendant for tomorrow. It is a sterling 'road runner' with a tiny turquoise eye, in mid-stride. I'll post pics soon. It is beautiful! Also, while my mom is proud of my running accomplishments she tends to blame it for my apparently messed up menstrual cycle and so hasn't been totally supportive of some of my more ambitious training dreams (i.e. increasing my mileage, lol). So it's extra meaningful.

I'll let everyone know how the race goes tomorrow after my postrace bagel (a giant bakery one that I plan on devouring!)
Mattea

http://www.picturetrail.com/saia11

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.