runner check in 5/1

I'm in awe of all the racers this weekend!

Gayle - you did sooo well! Amazing!!!! You should be proud of yourself. I want to be like you one day!

Kathy - I can only hope I have your fortitude! Holy cow to finish a marathon when you had tummy problems?! You are incredible!!

Marsha - 2:06 for a half after 12 weeks of training?! AND you finished feeling strong?! Wow!

Good morning everyone! I'm feeling a lot better today, although I had to fight with myself to get out of bed. I did P90X Chest and Back and Ab Ripper X, and after I finished I feel great. So, I'm going to do a 3 mile run this afternoon. If I get a wild hair, I'll do 4, but it's supposed to be hot, so I figure as long as I get in three, I'm fine. My quads are no longer sore.

And Elaine - YES I'll be there in July! For a nice little run, then some fun in the sun with food and wine - not a bad incentive! :) I'll see how the half goes before I consider a full. I was going to make some excuse here before I realized that that's exactly what it would be. The only thing holding me back from accomplishing a full marathon is me. So, we'll see WHEN I'm ready for a marathon... (Who just said that?!?)

Happy trails to y'all!!!

So much exciting news from the weekend! Sounds like alot of you gals had some great experiences.

Gayle- queen of the HM!!! Way to go :7 :7 Sounds like you planned it perfectly and how great to be interviewed! I live in N. Arizona,Prescott. It's really a funky tourist town and I have my own HM next Saturday. It's a difficult course in high elevation, lots of steep hills. I'll have lots of friends and family there expecting me to do well so I'm really feeling the pressure!! I have to restrain myself from overtraining this week.

Kathy- I'm in awe of you, truly. What a fantastic attitude you have.
Instead of brooding over a less than expected performance in a race you use it as a learning experience and look forward to the next challenge (50K- I can't begin to imagine!!) I'm a little susceptible to runners trots myself and I have to be very careful with my eating before long runs. I'm one of those who takes some Imodium before a long race (>10K) and so far no problems.

Congratulations to Karen and Mattea on their fantastic runs yesterday!!

Carole- how's the back and hamstring? Did you see the chiropracter?
sounds like you have a very challenging summer ahead. You amaze me!

Marsha- all I can say is WOW, to accomplish a half in that time
when you've been running 12 wks??? You're going to be getting some awards at your pace!

Sarah- just how many days is it til your marathon? I'm not sure we all got that!
Just some interval work for me today, Got to work the next few nights.
ShellyC

Wow, I just want to thank all of you wonderful ladies for being such an inspirtation. I'm SO happy I found people who love running and Cathe as much as I do. :D

I'm feeling pretty good, Gayle. A little sore in the quads but not too bad. The blisters aren't even bothering me so I'll probably do a short 3-4 mile run tomorrow and upperbody. My stomach's still a little off today so it was rest day. :)

Here's the next race I'm going to start training for next week, Carole:

http://www.njrrc.org/Race_Apps/2006/TurkeySwamp06app.pdf

I did the 25k last year and it was brutal. I'm hoping the heat index isn't 100+ again! :eek: This one's all about finishing, though....the time limit is 7.5 hours so "whatever it takes to cross the finish line" is going to be my motto.

Thanks again everyone, I'm very honored to be a part of your group.

Kathy G

Gayle-ROCK ON!!!! I love how put it, "I killed that time!":p You are making me dream lady.

Kathy-You finished a marathon, you could have been crawling across the finish line and you would still have impressed the crap out of me!! And now you know how to do better next time, that is a great thing in itself.

Marsha-Just awesome! I'm planning on starting to train for a fall half this summer and so this will be the place where I'll be asking all my questions, lol!

Carole-I know what you mean about the weekly chaffing. I need to get some bodyglide because each time I think I've got it covered I get it in a new place, lol-under the arms became lower back became yesterdays between the thighs, but the new PR was way worth it! And the weird thing is it is only on one thigh? I mean WTH was the the other thigh rubbing against?

Karen-Glad you're not too sore from yesterday, stretch it out and then think about increasing the mileage!:7

Christine-Glad you're feeling better!

Judy-6 miles is not humble, it's at least respectable:p

Laura-Sounds like a great workout, solid, solid, solid

Sarah-Everytime I read your countdown I get butterflies in MY stomach!

I feel great after the 10 miles yesterday, I'm actually much more sore from the upper body work I did before I left! Although I do have a couple of sore toes and a small blister. Bless whoever invented Bandaid Blister Bandaids!! Imax Extreme for me this morning and tomorrow is a lovely rest day.
Mattea

I have a question. This week my workouts look like this.

Sun- long run for me 9 miles
Mon- PUB
Tues- tempo run ( 4-5 miles)
Wed- PLB
Thursday- Steady state run ( 4-5 miles)

Now Friday would you do somthing like Supersets or Rest for the 5K Sat. I'm not sure what to do?

Also why is it that they don't allow headsets on some races. I saw on the flyer no headsets, stroller, skateboards and such. I get all the other stuff. Is this for 5K only that they don't allow headsets or does each race point out what they allow and don't allow. I really don't know with this being my first Sat so I don't know how these things go. Thanks for the help.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Good afternoon runners!

WOW, WOW, WOW…you all just amaze me! I read through the post for the last 3 days and felt so many emotions! (I missed coming here by the way). You all are such strong, likable, humorous and inspirational women!!! Thanks so much! This is a great place to be!!!

I wasn’t able to chime in over the weekend but I did get in a 15 mile hilly bike ride, KPC abs (2X), Power Yoga, Supersets upper, OH and the best run was with my almost 14 yr old son!! Yep, since he’s doing track at school right now and getting ready to do freshman football conditioning this summer (means a lot of running) I took him to get fitted for running shoes at our local running store. Then, he joined me in a 4 mile run! My first outside run of the season too! I didn’t want to overdo but man, I sure wanted to run farther! Next weekend I will probably do 6. Of course for him, running with me is probably a walk in the park! I did Leg and Glutes this morning..yeeouch.}(

GAYLE!!!! – HUGE HIGH FIVES!!! You are on fire with that PR!! WOO HOO!!
I thought of you quite a bit yesterday and hoped it went well!

Kathy – Despite your difficulty, YOU DID AWESOME!!! Your time is an excellent finish time! Atleast I think so, because I think that’s what I finished in when I ran the Portland Marathon.

Karen – I think you are really doing fabulous and I’m sure you’ll be very pleased with your 5K. Nice for you to get out with the family too.

Marsha – Congratulations on your half!! WOW! 2:06 is great!

Carole – Enabler you…hee hee… I’m considering the Humbolt half but a few factors in the mix are keeping me from committing. I was contacted by Leukemia Lymphoma about doing the Nike half (San Francisco) in October, and another friend wants me to do the second annual Cowtown half in Sacramento (October). Also, I won’t know until the end of May about my vacation days getting approved for the fall….yada yada… Also, I wanted to ask you which 20 miles of the 100 are you running on the Western States? If the guy ever gets back to me about volunteering I’ll make sure I’m working an aid station you’re gonna be whizzing through.

Sarah – Ooooohh, 5 MORE DAYS!! Like Mattea, I get the butterflies too! You’re going to do great! Can’t wait to read your race report a week from now! :7

Elaine – Hiya Elaine! I hope you get into St. George. I visited there once and really loved the red rock formations! Oh, and here’s a chuckle: I mentioned to my teen DD that some of my friends from the Cathe boards will be running the half in July too, and she said, “MOM, it’s not safe to be talking online and meeting up with people you don’t know!”. ..lol..I guess all of my monitoring and lecturing about teens online has turned around to bite me in the a$$. I explained that for one this isn’t myspace.com and besides these are really cool like minded runners and I’ll be totally fine because dad is going with me…. Awe boy, kids I tell you! :p

Christine – YAY!!! You are all signed up! And it sounds like your training is coming along beautifully. Please don’t kill your dog though! My dog would have to start with Hal Higdon’s pre-novice couch potato schedule in order to get down the first quarter mile.

High fives and hellos to Laura, Judy, Shelly, and Mattea.

Have a great rest of the day

Thomasina

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!! You are ALL so inspiring! Those times are incredible.

I've picked a 1/2 to train for and am very excited, but just starting over again from a LONGGGGG break. So, I'm quite intimidated by all of you women! (in a good way) I know that it won't be long and I will be logging in those big miles, too.;-)

I ran 3 on Sunday and felt great - it was in the rain and that was rather refreshing :)

~Marcia~

Marcia - WELCOME! When is your half? It's nice to have someone who's running shortage mileage, too, as I was getting a little intimidated... :+ We can commiserate together over sore legs...

Thomasina - YEP! All registered!! DH told me to go ahead and do it for me - he's not certain he'll run because of his knee, and I understand that. I love that your son is running with you! That is so great! What a fabulous example you are!

Funny thing about Tucker, the dog - he came back, took a nap and then when he woke up was ready to go again. He had a blast on the hike yesterday. Of course he came back and slept all afternoon from that. But I washed him, and the darned dog is SOOO furry that I call him the incredible shrinking dog. If I thoroughly wet him, he does not look fat. With dry fur he looks a good 20 pounds overweight (and for a 50 pound dog that's a lot!). You can see him at www.dogster.com/?224658

Shelley..thanks for asking, I had hardly any pain in my run this morning and felt alot better after my adjustment!!!

Kathy...that is a great choice of runs for that Turkey Swamp Day. Let me find the site of the one I am training for
http://www.siskiyououtback.com/mainpage.html And a question does your training for a 50K differ much from marathon training? I have mostly done the 15K at Siskiyou, so this is my 1st 50K there. I hear it is brutal course and a 5 mile uphill around 20 or so miles.

Mattea...at least the chafing is always better the next day..:)...glad to hear you are feeling good after the 10. The sore toes will be lots better soon too!!

Karen...I think I might rest the day before the 5K, or maybe yoga or pilates if you have any..:)

Tomasina...way to go with your first outside run with your son! I bet that was fun. yes L&G can creep up on you...:)..In Western Sttates I should be starting with Pat when she gets to mile 58. Then my sister gets to pace starting at mile 78. At least that is what we think now...

Marcia...cool and Welcome!...when and where is your half?

Christine...Tucker is a cutie!

Thanks for the input Carol. My husband I I were just talking about that over dinner. One more Question.

What is the milage in marathons, 10k, 50k, 30k, half marathons and all of the races. Is a marathon less than 50k? I really think I have the running bug. I can't wait until Sat. My anxiety from last week is turning into excitement. I bought a new top for the race Saturday.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Well, I'll take a stab at this:

A marathon is 26.2 miles, which would be 41.9k
A half is well half the marathon - 13.1 miles - or 20.9k (20k is pretty close).

A 10K is 6 miles
A 12K is 7.2 miles
A 15K is 9.3 miles
A 30k is 18.7 miles
a 50K is 31.2 miles

Karen - I KNOW you'll do fabulous this weekend!! I can't wait to hear how victorious you are!

By the way - I'm trying to get Amy (amyg) to join us as well in July.

gayle, holy cow, you kicked butt!!! What have you been doing , I want to know your secrets for training? Have you done a half before and what was your time? sorry for all the questions , I just want your stamina for my half in a few weeks.

Kathy great job!!!!!!

marsha, man you must be fit to run a half in 2:06 with just 12weeks training. What program did you follow?

sarah 5 days and counting!!!

carole now you've got me thinking about 30K's........

hope everyone has a nice workout as well as a nice day!!!!

Karen- good luck on your 5k this Saturday. With your attitude you'll be fine. Once you're bitten by the race bug there's no turning back. I'll be racing on that day too so I'll be thinking of ya and all the other inspirational ladies here. I just wanted to add that many races, not just 5Ks ban headsets. It's a safety issue, they want you to be able to hear other runners, traffic, etc. I find I do not miss hearing music at all on race days. There is so much going on.

Also, welcome to Marcia-please don't feel intimidated. If you share the joy of running ANY distance it makes you a welcome addition.

ShellyC

Hi all, it's been a few days (or has it been weeks? or hours?) since I've checked in here. I've been busy! Christine is working on getting me to sign up for the July half... and I'm nervous!!! But excited all at the same time... }( :7

I ran only 2.5 miles this morning, trying to check out different places I can have people run during bootcamp. I'm off to do some yoga, then study the Hal Higdon plan for a half marathon, LOL. Maybe I'll be seeing all of you much more often!!!! :p

I'm meeting Amy this weekend - we're going to get together for a hike at a local Open Space Preserve. When she sees me, and sees that I plan to run this half, she'll have to run it. I'm a good 15 years older, and not so slim (not really fat, just not slim). So, we have another recruit... }( }( }(

I cave easy... ;-)

Fair warning: if you choose to run with me (and I'm saying it is all the way your CHOICE) my one and only half marathon time was 2:04 or 2:00:04 or something like that. It was about a 9 minute mile, although I was training at 10 min miles... so I'll be the one at the back of the pack!!!

ANOTHER RECRUIT? BWAHAAAAAAA! (that's my attempt at an evil laugh, lol).

It sure sounds like we're all in good spirits, which is ALWAYS GOOD! Lots of excitement around this place...I LOVE IT!

Laura-to answer your question...I haven't really done anything differently. I've just been doing my normal Cathe workouts, along with training runs of varying distances and intervals. Plus, it's easy for me (I don't mean EASY EASY, just can't think of another good word) to top myself (or in runner's speak....set a new PR) right now because I'm still a beginner. Yesterday was my first half marathon. I ran my first full marathon in Disney in January and based my personal goal time for yesterday off of my half marathon split time at Disney. Does that make sense? SO, since I've never run a half and based my goal on a FULL MARATHON's HALF SPLIT, it seemed easy and realistic to beat that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the more I run races, the harder it will be for me to beat my own time. Does any of this make sense? LOL Or am I just tired???

Gayle

p.s. May I just say that it WAS HARD, though? LOL

Woah...it looks like Christine is in the running for the next master enabler! Way to go working on getting Amy onboard!! }( I mean, you've got her "looking" over the Hal Higdon schedule already! ;) LOL WOO HOO! YOU can do it Amy!

Hi Marcia! Yeah, don't be intimidated here because a runner is a runner! I'm not one of those biomechanically correct runners so it takes great effort for me to go any distance. Some of my runs are faster than others, but most important for me is that I have never given up and I always finished! Welcome to our running thread where the fun never stops! :7 :+ :p }(

Thomasina

Thanks everybody! I was planning on running my next half in November, so the fact I've moved it up "just a bit" is all thanks to Christine and everyone else here, plus geography! DH was born and raised in Napa...

I'm just hoping my leg holds up for me! I figure I'll do as much as I can on trails this summer... now that they are no longer muddy...

You're right, the fun never stops around Catheland!!!

Okay, back to Yoga X. That is so difficult for me, and it's so hot right now in my house!! Sigh. Oh well- I've smelled my own sweat before now...

AND, I placed a big order with RRS yesterday, so I should be in great shape for training!!! LOL, LOL!!! Now all I have to do is figure out how best to cut back on my day job hours... ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.