runner check in 5/1

laura35

Cathlete
cant wait to hear from gayle and see how the half went for her.

I will run after work today probably only 3-4 miles because my son has a soccer game also.
anyway I managed to squeeze in some upper body work yesterday also.
I hope you all have a nice day. It might rain here in fremont .Hopefully after I run tonight.
see ya!!

1:52:07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the numbers speak for me....my personal goal time was 2:05:00. I killed that! LOL

Thanks, everybody, for the vibes and words leading up to yesterday! I kept thinking of it ALL while running. It was as excepted...incredible, inspiring, motivating, emotional, UNBELIEVABLE!

There's just something about running that is so invigorating that I can't explain. I think you all know what I mean.

We had a great weekend. We met lots of people from Runner's World Magazine. My local paper interviewed me after the race to get my thoughts on my running, my fundraising for L&LS, my experiences, etc. It was wierd to answer those questions with simple answers like, "I run because I CAN", "I fundraise because it helps others", "I do this because it's just so motivating". Simple, yet they asked ME!

OK...the race itself. I lost my 2 running partners at mile 4, one caught back up with me at 6, but I lost him by 7 again! LOL. At mile 11, my coach from the Disney marathon and another teammate caught up with me and talked me to the finish line. Those last 2 miles are always the hardest on those long runs for me. All 3 of us crossed at the exact same time. All 4 men came up to me afterward and complimented me on how my running has "tremendously" (their word) improved since Disney in January.

I ran with no mp3 player, which I'm glad about. There were bands on every other mile and fans EVERYWHERE. My mom and Mike had all 4 kids there, and I saw them at miles 3, 6 and the finish line. ANOTHER VERY motivating factor for me. They joked that the fmaily memebers walk the race just to see us runners! LOL

OK...to stop the rambling. I'll wrap it up. I did very well. I thought of all of you. I thought of all the hard work we put in and I just let my body do the rest! I'm sure I'll have PLENTY more to say during the day! LOL

BBL

Gayle

Oh my Gosh Gayle you are amazing, fantastic, and inspiring. You killed it girl. You are right. I'm just so happy for you right now. The personal feedback you got yesterday must have made you feel like a superstar. I can't say enough how amazing we feel for you as well. We all thought of you throughout the day yesterday too. Now we know that what we were thinking for you on the inside was translating on the outside. You Rock!!!!
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Forgot to say good morning to Judy and Laura. Enjoy your day, your workouts and the soccer game. Today is PUB for me and the abs from MIS. My butt is a little sore from my 9 mile run yesterday but I am so happy with this sore butt like you wouldn't belive. Off to workout.
karen

Morning runners,

Congratulations Gayle! WOW, great time!

Well, yesterday was an adventure to say the least! We got a late start to the race right off the bat. The Bed & Breakfast we stayed at was about 10 minutes from the Start Line but they had closed all the roads. I forgot the half marathon started out early plus all the early start marathoners. So we spent a good half hour driving around “trying” to get close to the start line, lol! Hubby finally got within a block and a half and I got out and RAN! I made it up onto the boardwalk and start line just as the gun went off. Someone opened up the barrier and I was off!

I caught up to the 4:15 pace team. There were three pacers for that group. The first two were running slightly faster and one was a little behind and running a steady pace. I latched on to him, lol! His name was Pete and this was his 44th marathon. Talk about a fantastic guy, this guy was the best pacer. He hung on to me until the half marathon mark (we hit that at 2:08 and were only off pace by about a minute). We’ll my stomach was really feeling queasy by that time…oh, I forgot to mention that I had some seafood for dinner the night before….what was I thinking??? Anyway, at that point things were “gurgling” and I felt like I was holding him back so I told him “GO! Go catch up with the rest of the group” and he was so nice, he told me….hang back until your stomach settles down and run in with the 4:30 group. Well, it went down hill from there….the 4:30 group caught up to me at mile 18 and then I lost them between mile 20 and 21 when I finally found a port-a-potty. I must have been in there for awhile because when I came out the 4:45 group caught up with me. At that point, it became a matter of just finishing!

Ugh, I also ate a Fig Newton, half a banana, and some gummy bears (GROSS!) during the first half trying to get some energy and settle my stomach and they really did a number on me too! Lesson learned, NEVER mess with the food you’re used to on long runs! I always have water and gel packs and from now on…no matter what’s offered on the marathon courses, I’m not taking it….lol!

Anyway, I made it to the finish line at 4:53:32 (chip time) and “died” in the bathroom all day yesterday. Poor DH and my son had to stop at every rest stop on the way home. I took some Imodium A-D when we got home and it finally took effect last night. I couldn’t eat much yesterday so my weight’s down about 2.5 lbs. this morning which isn’t good. I think I’m a little dehydrated. I’ll pick up the liquid consumption today. Oh, and I also got one HUGE blister on my left instep and blisters on two of the toes. I had to drain them last night because I couldn’t even walk with them…yuck! The only good thing is I’m not really that sore this morning (other than my intestines) so recovery should be quick.

I’m already looking forward to training for the 50k in August. I’m learning something at every marathon so I’m trying to not let this get me down. This is only marathon number 2 of many.

Kathy G

Kathy-GREAT experience yesterday! Thanks for sharing it. You're right. We always learn something from each and every run, no matter how long or short! You did well and YOU FINISHED! GREAT JOB! Although I couldn't remember WHO was running the full yesterday (all week I kept forgetting it was YOU), I thought about you most yesterday. I told myself at mile 12 that you were just getting warmed up! LOL AWESOME JOB! Now, where is your 50K?

You made me laugh about the bathroom. I usually have to hit it around mile 6 when running at home, but in races the adrenaline just pumps and somehow I last longer. Yesterday, I finished, caught up with my family, and hit the bathroom for aobut 20 minutes! LOL (TMI? sorry, lol). And, like you Kathy, we made 2 stops on the way home to hit the gas station potties....it's even funnier because I only live 30 minutes from where my half marathon was! LOL

I also got my first chaffing 'injury' yesterday. I didn't notice until I was in the shower and the hot water hit it, but my undies must have been rubbing because I have a small area rubbed raw on my very upper inner thigh on the undie-line. Body Glide next time, I guess!

KATHY!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO! WE DID IT!!!!!!!!

Gayle

OK, and now that my half is over and I can focus again (LOL), can I ask everybody:

Where do you live? And what race do you have coming up next?

I'm in Eastern Pennsylvania, small town of Nazareth (home of race car driver Mario Andretti). As for races, I have a few 5Ks a 10K and some in between all summer long. I think I've decided on Marine Corps in Washington DC in October.

Thanks!

Gayle

Oh Kathy, your poor stomach. I think the anxiety and being there just as the gun went off even added to it. Hey girl. You did it and that in itself makes me and the rest of the girls proud in so many ways of you. Your a champ and a fighter and you'll remember the gummy bears the rest of your life. You did great and we are so proud. Great job.
karen

Well, I made it back from my 1/2 marathon! What a blast! I felt like I did wonderful considering I just started running 12 weeks ago. 2:06!! I probably would have been closer to the 2 hour mark but I stayed back with my friend for the first 4 miles. I finished really strong and sprinted the last .1. I guess all my hard training really paid off.

It was so inspiring, I would love to do it again. I feel a little more comfortable considering a full marathon now! :)

Gayle-

That is an awesome time!!! You are an inspiration!! I hope that I can improve my times as well. That is so great that you got to see your family along the race. My dh and the kiddos made it just in time to see me cross the finish line, which was great! (Of course I was too focused on crossing that line to even see them until I was done!)

I would definately love to do it again!

GREAT JOB!! :)

Kathy-

Great job! I don't know if I would have been able to finish if I was having bathroom problems, you did great. I know I was glad I was finishing at the 1/2 way point at my race! :) One of my friends takes Imodium before every long run just to prevent any problems. :p

I'm impressed with anyone who completes a marathon, I hope someday to be one of those few people!

GREAT JOB!!

Laura...I do hope the rain holds off for your run tonight!

Judy...enjoy your run and come back to read the results!!

Gayle!! WAY TO KICK BUTT!!!!! That is cool you met so many people and got interviewed by your local newspaper! Bands at every mile would be quite fun! We were thinking about you too...I am so happy for you....and when you get time you'll have to PM me your address and which Cardio Coach you want...:)

Karen..enjoy your workout. I am glad you aren't too sore...

Kathy...wow, what an experience!!. It is always tough to know what to eat the night before. I know before a 10 mile run I had fetticine alfredo and my stomach was doing flip flops the whole 10 miles...You stuck with it and pushed thru to the end and that is what counts!!! I think your time was good for what you went thru!! You are correct thoough and you learn in each marathon. I usually don't have a queasy stomach during marathons but I know my sister swears by peanuts when she feels queasy...those blisters wouldn't be fun at all, I hope they heal quick. I guess we will be training for a 50K together, but mine is in July! have a nice easy rest day Kathy! Congrats!

Gayle...chafing is the worst in the shower...:)...I go thru it every sunday! I live in hot Shasta County in Northern Calif and my next run will be a 50K in Ashland, Oregon on July 15th. My sister and I will also be pacing (20 miles each) a runner in the Western States 100 Mile Ultra run on Jun 24th & 25th.

Today I'll be doing GS Chest, tris and sho, abs and a 5 mile run.

Have a great day...

Good Job Marsha!! That is a good time for 12 weeks of training!!! being strong is great in the end!! So maybe a marathon in your future?....:)

Now, CAROLE! STOP THAT! LOL. Marsha, be careful. She is going to make you change your mind 20 times before you choos a marathon.

(as I whisper.....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!) LOL

Marsha-you did fantastic as well! 2:06 is AWESOME, girl! Especially on 12 weeks' training alone! WOOHOO! How do you feel today?

How about you, Kathy? How is your body feeling today?

I'm a bit sore in the quads and on my left inner thigh/groin area, but that's it. I'm headed to the basement for chest and triceps HEAVY then a brisk walk outside for about an hour (if legs permit, I'll run a bit).

LADIES!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

ETA: Carole....during one of the bigger hills yesterday, one of the ladies in front of me said, "think this one compares to any of the hills at Big Sur?" I couldn't believe it. I thought you were stalking me and running in front of me! LOL

Gayle

FANTASTIC races Gayle and Marsha and Kathy!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to sahre your experiences here. It means so much to read about how well the girls here do at their races.

My humble little 6 mile run went well this morning, I need to moving up and do some yoga after I do a little house cleanning.

That chafing thing- ouch! Carole it must be nasty to get it weekly on those long runs.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Kathy, Marsha, Gayle...GREAT JOB LADIES!!!

GAYLE, Holy crap, what a time!! You have improved tremendously!! I am surprised your family made it back to the "Finish" line to see you come in! How they beat you there is baffling to me! Enjoy the glory!

MARSHA, Holy crap again...12 weeks running and you cruised!! Very fast! I smell an addiction!!

KATHY, Holy crap...literally! ;) I would not have been able to finish! A true testiment of your amazing strength and endurance! WOW! You did really great! Learning is ALWAYS good...it just may not be very fun at the time! Be very proud of your accomplishment!

Light& short elliptical today and YogaX...heightening the taper!

5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!5 MORE DAYS!!!

Gayle, Fantastic job! I hope your runner's high lasts you a long time! When is your next race?

Marsha, Your 1/2 time is great but when you factor in that you've only been running for 12 weeks then it's reaallllly great! Do you have another race in your sites?

Kathy, All I can say is OMG and that I hope you are very proud of your finishing time after dealing with all of that! I cannot even imagine!

To all of you others that posted and all of the ones to come, good morning! I have so much to do around here today that my workout got moved to the bottom of the list. Hopefully I will be able to grab some time on the elliptical......

Gayle, I live on the Central Coast of California. I'll be running a 10K on Saturday and will find out this week if I'll be running St. George in Oct. If not, I'll choose another fall marathon somewhere. I'm also signed up to run the Wine Country 1/2 in July with Thomasina (where's she been???) and Christine (right Christine???) Other than that there are lots of local races that I run every year.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.