Rest day vs. Active recovery day

Braille

Cathlete
I think I understand the difference between a rest day and an active recovery day, but what I need to know is this... are both absolutely necessary? As I age, I'm loving active recovery days. A gentle hike (in warm weather), Tai Chi, gentle yoga, long stretch sessions, Classical Stretch/Essentrics (focuses on range of motion/flexibility through movement/balance)... they move my body enough to keep my back, joints, etc. from getting stiff. They also allow me to recover from the more challenging workouts I've done earlier in the week. The rest days, well... I kind of suck at them. My body ends up hurting, I'm fidgety (exercise, since I was a young child always helped relieve this), my mood takes a downswing, etc. I'm not spending my rest days sitting. I'm spending them working, doing household chores, taking care of my adult son (disabled), etc. I'm still moving. I rarely sit down. I don't have the time, and frankly, my body hurts when I do. My regular movements throughout an average day are because I have to, and they're not necessarily even (I reach with one hand more than the other, bend to accomplish something - and there's no opposing movement to balance it out, etc.). So, after a rest day, I end up feeling "unbalanced" and stiff, making getting back to my workouts downright painful, forcing me to modify to the point that the workouts for the first 2 or 3 days aren't very productive. I've tried taking rest days separate from recovery days, and I've tried taking them back to back. I hope this all makes sense, because here's my question: Are rest days necessary? If so, what am I doing wrong, because my body isn't responding well to them? I know you say to listen to our bodies, and you say to take rest days, but my body says it needs two active recovery days a week and no rest days. Am I misunderstanding what a rest day is, or do some people do better without them? I rarely get sick, but when I do, I still have to at least do a Tai Chi or stretch workout. If I don't, my illness lasts longer, and my back and joints hurt so badly that I have trouble being comfortable in my body.

I workout 6 days per week and Sunday is a total rest day. Granted, I still have to walk my dog, but our walks are our regular walks around the block that we do twice daily. No matter what rotation I'm doing, I always write in Sunday as a rest day. Now as far as "active recovery" is concerned, I might have one cardio workout per week that's shorter and not as intense as everything else I'm doing during week, which at this point in my life, my workout have really focused on more strength training and less cardio. For me personally, one full day of rest is much needed, but because of walking my dog, its not a sit around do nothing day.

What you're doing sounds like its working for you and as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Its all about listening to our bodies. What works for one person might not work for another.

I usually do yoga on Sundays. I may do a shorter stretching routine but a rest day? Sometimes, but not often. If my week has been particularly demanding, then I will take a rest day but my body generally feels better if I do some stretches. Especially when I'm lifting heavy weighs. I was interested in Cathe's comments on the January rotation. I started longer stretching after the workout last fall, using STS extended stretch and Stretch Max. Should I add a rest day too? I may try doing foam rolling on Sundays.

My body tells me when it wants full rest days. Those are the days when I feel spent and nothing I planned looks good .

Those rest days are spent in mobility and balance work. I'm still moving but it's like a recharge for my central nervous system and I give my joints the movement they need. I don't consider them active recovery because I don't do any cardio at all nor do I use bands or tiny weights.

My active recovery are light kettlebell swing days or some short fun dance or fusion workout with bands or tiny weights.

I agree with others .... listen to your body, everyone is different & may need different recovery or rest at different times. A rest day for me usually means no formal exercise but it certainly may include housework, yard work, gardening, walking, biking & some gentle stretching or yoga. I guess I don't consider "activities of daily living" as exercise, but my exercise routine sure does help me maintain & enjoy activities of daily living.

My mood takes a dive if I don’t do *something* every day. So I get this. I am working on this routine as well, since my energy, stamina and stiffness have changed due to age and perimenopause. The best thing that seems to work for me (so far) is working out five days a week, with a planned recovery day on either Wednesday or Thursday and a complete “rest” day on Sunday (but I am still busy running around). On my recovery day, I am stretching, walking or trying a new, easier exercise on YouTube that hits the mobility and stretching sweet spots. My five-day-a-week workouts are weight-heavy (I go all out), with moderated cardio (I use a step on the floor instead of a step on two risers, for example). This pattern keeps me moving. If I added or subtracted more, it might not be sustainable.

Yes, do what your body says. Most of the devoted Cathletes I’ve “met” here are more likely to overdo it than to slack off. I think we think think if we take a rest or recovery day, or if we moderate a workout that we are failing somehow. That’s just not true. It’s common sense. Your body is a wonderful machine. Treat it right.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.