Regarding STS2.0 Abs

Enjoying STS 2.0 I appreciate the work that has been put into this project. I just went through the workout manager and see that it is recommended to do abs "at least one but no more that two times a week". Why only 2 times max?
Thanks you for asking this. I used to be able to get by with doing abs twice a week. I'm at a point in my life now, however, where my body is at its best when I do them 3 times a week. I really lose ground whenever I try to reduce it, which I've tried to do several times, because I really dislike ab work. Not only does 3 times a week benefit my abs, but it really helps my lower back. Whenever I try to reduce the abs, I end up pulling something in my lower back. Hope you get a reply, because I'd like to know too. :)

I was a bit surprised to read that too, but recalled that Cathe sometimes says in LIVE workouts that she didn't include any, or much specific core work cuz they get used to support/stabilize in many weight exercises. I can feel it too when I lift heavy.

Edited to add: Cathe's newsletter/email has an article on using metrics to measure progress. A quick test is to count how many full sit-ups you can do in a minute. Then repeat after a month or two to see if the # diminishes if only doing 2 core workouts a week is a concern.

Last edited:
I practiced a lot of the ab moves with my weight plates and they are so much fun!
definitely works with dumbbell as well, as Jenn does.. currently practicing the bike maneuver in mini ball abs, I have to concentrate on that one :), but she goes slow enough to be able to make the switch. I think Jenn does it the regular way, without the mini ball. Fun stuff!

A little tip: On the couple moves where you use sliding device for alternating rear lunges
while holding weight in abs, I tried with my regular sliding disc plates, but everytime I brought my leg back in, the disc hit the other one and kinda overlapped, which kind of
threw me off, and if I stepped wider to eliminate this, I didn’t feel like I was lunging back as good. So I tried with these little furniture sliders I have, little round ones like 5 in. Across, and little oblong ones 6 in. Long & they worked perfectly…..I am on carpet. So I
need a slick device.

Yeah, I normally use Cathe’s sliding discs too…. I think we got them free with a dvd set way back when? I have the purple Gliding brand discs too, they are the same size.
but, for me, being a little “off” to start with :), the little ones worked perfectly because basically they were almost completely under my shoes.

Funny you should mention ab work. Years ago, I used to do abs almost every workout. Now that I’ve learned more about strength training and proper form, I feel I better engage my abs and core during my workouts and don’t feel like I need to work my abs a lot. I did the abs following pyramid upper body on Monday and may or may not do abs again this week.

Did the Standing Abs- Metabolic Core w/plate today. I tacked it onto a shorter kickbox cardio, what fun! Then Mobility 1 - gave a nice stretch to Shoulders & core used in the kickbox & Ab workouts ... one would almost think they were designed to be done this way!

The mini ball stability abs! Oh my...I looked like a walrus floundering around on the sand. The ball had a mind of its own and would shoot out across the room. During the bicycle maneuver my arms and legs never could quite get it together! Probably got a good workout chasing the ball and cracking up at myself.

A little tip: On the couple moves where you use sliding device for alternating rear lunges
while holding weight in abs, I tried with my regular sliding disc plates, but everytime I brought my leg back in, the disc hit the other one and kinda overlapped, which kind of
threw me off, and if I stepped wider to eliminate this, I didn’t feel like I was lunging back as good. So I tried with these little furniture sliders I have, little round ones like 5 in. Across, and little oblong ones 6 in. Long & they worked perfectly…..I am on carpet. So I
need a slick device.
Great suggestion! I like it!

The mini ball stability abs! Oh my...I looked like a walrus floundering around on the sand. The ball had a mind of its own and would shoot out across the room. During the bicycle maneuver my arms and legs never could quite get it together! Probably got a good workout chasing the ball and cracking up at myself.
This morning I did the bonus stacker abs on the PHA3 dvd and I did ok at first then I realized that my stack of stackers tumbled behind my head and I had a uneven stack on planks movement. But I had fun and still got a killer ab workout.

Gotta love those stacker abs. Sometimes I "cheat" a little. I have the smaller Cathe step (I forgot this one
when I was adding up my steps on another thread, so I guess I have 4 :) ) with the risers, but because it
is the small step, the risers are of course smaller as well (like about 1/2 the size of the regular risers) and
sometimes I use those in the stacker abs. Easier to get a hold on on some of the moves.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.