recovering from shoulder injury - how to balance sides?

sisu

Hi all!

I'm a long time Cathlete, just love her workouts, and can really thank her for dropping about 20 and some pounds and keeping them off in the last years! There's just always something for every situation in life...

But now I got my right shoulder injured some time ago. Even though it's getting a lot better, the injured side is still really weak compared to the other side. So I just have to go a lot lighter on that side.

It's really annoying, as I could go a lot heavier with the left side, but then it's really annoying to be that much off balance too. So should I just accept and go with the weights I can do with the weaker side, or just go heavier with the other side?

Any hints or tips, I'm so annoyed by this!

I did Xtrain chest, back and shoulders yesterday, and not really feeling anything on the left side, even though I at some points went for heavier weights on that side. (And decided to go for Low Impact Circuit Lower Body premix today so I wouldn't have to deal with it ;/) - which was by the way great!)

Thanks in advance for any tips!

sisu

Personally, I would work the shoulders one at a time instead of together. So, if I was doing a lateral raise, I would do my stronger arm first with the weight it is accustomed to, then rewind the DVD and repeat the segment, using a lighter weight for my weaker side. It's not ideal, and would make your workouts longer, but it would help you to strengthen your right side without weakening your left side.

thank you karategirl for the really good suggestion! I will try this - doing both at the same time really sets you up for going with bad form on the weaker side, so this sounds really worth trying. Thank you!

I would also work them independent of each other. It is how I rehabbed mine after I crashed landed on my right shoulder 8 years ago. I didn't even think of lifting until I could bring my hand around to touch my back and span up to the clavicle range. (I had no health insurance at that time, so no x-rays, etc., but I knew I didn't break anything, but very worried about my rotor cuff. When I could reach up my back, I started with a 3 pound dumbell on that side only and worked up, it took me 7 months to lift the same side to side. But there was still that strange hanging up pain every now and then.

So, you may have fascia hung up in the vicinity of that pain, plus there is still going to be inflammation going on. Some things that helped me *internally* was eating quite a bit of turmeric (mixed in with eggs) plenty of collagen, Omega 3's and beet juice. Also did this same routine for a back injury. Research about supplements/foods for helping with inflammation in the body. Another thing that brought me to the other side in leaps and bounds was heat therapy in the form of an infrared sauna. That may not be possible for you, but if you know someone that has one, ask the favor. It was remarkable even after one session.

And this curious thing I still can't figure out: I like to hang upsidedown on my Teeter, and one day I felt and heard this very audible snap on that shoulder. Most definitely didn't hurt, but I remember saying wth was that! The only way I could still feel a vestige of pain was when I hang upsidedown with that arm touching the floor. I usually like to stretch side to side, by pulling on the legs of the Teeter and that's when it happened. After that huge snap, ALL pain was gone, and its been permanent. That's why I mentioned fascia getting hung up somewhere on one of the three ligaments that holds the shoulder together. Sorry for the ramble about my injury, but maybe it will help you explore a bit what helped me. I wish you luck, shoulder pain is awful.

And this curious thing I still can't figure out: I like to hang upsidedown on my Teeter, and one day I felt and heard this very audible snap on that shoulder. Most definitely didn't hurt, but I remember saying wth was that! The only way I could still feel a vestige of pain was when I hang upsidedown with that arm touching the floor. I usually like to stretch side to side, by pulling on the legs of the Teeter and that's when it happened. After that huge snap, ALL pain was gone, and its been permanent. That's why I mentioned fascia getting hung up somewhere on one of the three ligaments that holds the shoulder together. Sorry for the ramble about my injury, but maybe it will help you explore a bit what helped me. I wish you luck, shoulder pain is awful.

What Teeter device do you use? Are you using the table?

I read your post @DirtDiva and thought, this is exactly what I need.
I had physio, my shoulder is getting better after few snaps during about 20 sessions but deep down I know I need
another snap to unlock my blade --- to realease those fascias.:):)
I did a 20 minutes michael Skogg root and felt a lot better.

Thanks for chiming in here, I enjoy reading your posts. I came across your review on michael skogg KB system.
It is really helpful.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=163973

Last edited:
Thanks so much DirtDiva and nckfitheart!

Mine became sore after slipping and landing on it last fall. Nothing was broke nor could be found in ultrasound, but obviously something was off (tiny fracture probably) as at first I could hardly lift that arm at all. Which in turn makes you use alternative muscles, which in turns messes up the natural balance of the muscles etc etc. That fascia being hung up somewhere sounds really like what has happened - I've had that crack too, just stretching that side of my body with elbow behind my head and pushing it back! I've got to try hanging upside down, thanks!

I've done really light weights with that side now, ones that I can still manage perfect form with. I totally notice that muscle balance is off, so got to keep going like this until it starts evening out. Thank you again for sharing Your experiences - it was great help!!!

I also like the idea of working each side independently. I know the shoulder section for Burn Sets has several alternating shoulder exercises. Also, I believe the rear delt bonus from XTrain has alternating work. Those might help wth getting that shoulder back up to the level of the well one.

You might want to also look into doing some resistance band moves on the bad shoulder. I had to do PT after a rotator cuff repair and using resistance bands really helped get deeper into my shoulder to make it stronger. I also did a lot of stretching/yoga which also helped. I used Cathe's travel fit dvd for a while after then worked my way up to weights. I also started with her Low Impact Total body trisets upper body because I found that dvd to be very joint friendly for my upper body after recovery. Those helped me get stronger. Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope things get better soon and best of luck.

Kim

Thanks so much DirtDiva and nckfitheart!

Mine became sore after slipping and landing on it last fall. Nothing was broke nor could be found in ultrasound, but obviously something was off (tiny fracture probably) as at first I could hardly lift that arm at all. Which in turn makes you use alternative muscles, which in turns messes up the natural balance of the muscles etc etc. That fascia being hung up somewhere sounds really like what has happened - I've had that crack too, just stretching that side of my body with elbow behind my head and pushing it back! I've got to try hanging upside down, thanks!

I've done really light weights with that side now, ones that I can still manage perfect form with. I totally notice that muscle balance is off, so got to keep going like this until it starts evening out. Thank you again for sharing Your experiences - it was great help!!!

Ya, thing is it will take time, so keep on a consistent schedule and be happy with smaller progressions. I can't stress enough that your diet is very important when it comes to healing. Higher dose of pure vitamin c powder (must be GMO free) plus turmeric and collagen (Great Lakes) (also bone broth) will help you along with Omega 3's, coconut oil. All easy stuff to integrate into your food. When I think back on all the injuries I've sustained, I can assure you this...your body is designed to heal and it will if you give it the right loving care.

You might want to also look into doing some resistance band moves on the bad shoulder. I had to do PT after a rotator cuff repair and using resistance bands really helped get deeper into my shoulder to make it stronger. I also did a lot of stretching/yoga which also helped. I used Cathe's travel fit dvd for a while after then worked my way up to weights. I also started with her Low Impact Total body trisets upper body because I found that dvd to be very joint friendly for my upper body after recovery. Those helped me get stronger. Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope things get better soon and best of luck.

Kim

That is one of my favorite workouts, Total Body TriSets.

What Teeter device do you use? Are you using the table?

I read your post @DirtDiva and thought, this is exactly what I need.
I had physio, my shoulder is getting better after few snaps during about 20 sessions but deep down I know I need
another snap to unlock my blade --- to realease those fascias.:):)
I did a 20 minutes michael Skogg root and felt a lot better.

Thanks for chiming in here, I enjoy reading your posts. I came across your review on michael skogg KB system.
It is really helpful.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=163973

I bought a Contour L5 from Teeter.
http://teeter.com/Contour-L5-Ltd.html
Did a lot of research on several manufacturers and settled on this one because of its build and guarantee. They have quite a few models also. I chose the Contour because its very easy to get in and out of. If you have more then one person using it (height/weight) its very easy to adjust. There is a separate setting for ease of inverting, which I never use. I set it on C and forget it. Thing is, you don't have to invert that far, 40% is all it takes for vertebra blood flow. You shouldn't invert fully anyway the first time you start on these, more like just tipped on a slant and then increase a bit every couple of days. It took me about 3 weeks to get to being fully inverted, but I mostly like to dangle with my hands touching the ground, which is like 80%. I do this after heavy squatting and weight lifting. Its also a great way to start the day, I do my planning that way (like a bat). Would I buy this again, you bet. Use it everyday, it only takes 5-7 minutes. Weirdness.....it makes my hair grow crazy fast.

Edit...you don't need all those add ons, like little balls, never use them. Plus they have sales and free shipping. Check Amazon too.

I would also work them independent of each other. It is how I rehabbed mine after I crashed landed on my right shoulder 8 years ago. I didn't even think of lifting until I could bring my hand around to touch my back and span up to the clavicle range. (I had no health insurance at that time, so no x-rays, etc., but I knew I didn't break anything, but very worried about my rotor cuff. When I could reach up my back, I started with a 3 pound dumbell on that side only and worked up, it took me 7 months to lift the same side to side. But there was still that strange hanging up pain every now and then.

So, you may have fascia hung up in the vicinity of that pain, plus there is still going to be inflammation going on. Some things that helped me *internally* was eating quite a bit of turmeric (mixed in with eggs) plenty of collagen, Omega 3's and beet juice. Also did this same routine for a back injury. Research about supplements/foods for helping with inflammation in the body. Another thing that brought me to the other side in leaps and bounds was heat therapy in the form of an infrared sauna. That may not be possible for you, but if you know someone that has one, ask the favor. It was remarkable even after one session.

This is a really great post on healing the shoulder DirtDiva, and I learned a lot by reading this response. Thank you for sharing your experience. You look so outdoorsy and athletic in your profile pic, which would be the exact opposite of this fair-skinned, redheaded city girl. Bit 'o envy here, LOL...

To the OP: I use a foam roller to work on my fascia and it makes a huge difference. I used this video to learn from, but there's zillions on YT to choose from:

From doing dance long ago, I got in the regular habit of doing neck, shoulder and arm rolls (along with the rest of the body). They really do help build and maintain mobility, simple and easy though they seem. I've found as I get older I really need to keep the joints mobile all throughout my body, and keeping up this daily practice is crucial.

I don't think one should negate the need to rebuild flexibility as much as strength, since the two work in harmony. I stretch out backwards over my stability ball in sort of an supported, inverted Cobra pose. It really helps my stiff frontal delts, chest, pelvis and hips. I don't know if this move is good for your type of shoulder injury or not, but I do find it helps my overall mobility and flexibility. Yoga that gently but seriously uses my upper body in bodyweight moves is also a good way to build and then maintain strength and flexibility in a balanced way.

I don't know if this is an issue for you or not, but many people (including me) have an imbalance between their front and rear delt strength, with the rears being weaker. I like the separate workout Cathe created for XTrain Legs and Rear Delts. I would always check with medical professionals first, but maybe for now you can focus on building this area back up, one side at a time if needed, in lieu of working the delts otherwise as much.

Are you also rehabbing your rotator cuff through light weight-training exercises? Just curious.

...many people (including me) have an imbalance between their front and rear delt strength, with the rears being weaker. I like the separate workout Cathe created for XTrain Legs and Rear Delts.

Are you also rehabbing your rotator cuff through light weight-training exercises? Just curious.

That is me! My front delts are over developed from years of riding. I don't think I'll ever be able to even them out, considering I use 20 pounds for a lateral raise and can barely use 12 pounds for rear delts.

The foam roller YouTube, she says it brilliantly..."that line of pain" concerning the TFL (tensor fasciae latae, hip abductor muscle) . I call it my *crease* and when I'm riding a 24 hour race, it really talks to me the next couple of days. So I'm going to roll it out like she demonstrated. Thanks!!

Hello everyone,

Hope you are doing better than last time we discussed this shoulder issue. I would like to share clip below. it's pretty
much self-explanory. I love it when the little guy takes off dumbbells off the exerciser's hands.
Hmmm no wonky posture --- who want to look wonky/ugly like that. Not even at the comfort of our own home
without anyone watching except the miror;);)

Last edited:
@sisu Hello Sisu, how is your shoulder doing?:)

For the first time since my injury, I have managed to reach my mid back to take off my bra.
I am happy I gained back more mobility. And just when I was thinking about the next strategy to tackle imbalances, this below
came up.

What has the use of push and pull approach got to do with healing injuries? Imbalances causes injuries:)
So my next strategy is to do some split adds on working opposing muscles. HTH

https://cathe.com/a-push-pull-approach-to-strength-training

Last edited:
I bought a Contour L5 from Teeter.
http://teeter.com/Contour-L5-Ltd.html
Did a lot of research on several manufacturers and settled on this one because of its build and guarantee. They have quite a few models also. I chose the Contour because its very easy to get in and out of. If you have more then one person using it (height/weight) its very easy to adjust. There is a separate setting for ease of inverting, which I never use. I set it on C and forget it. Thing is, you don't have to invert that far, 40% is all it takes for vertebra blood flow. You shouldn't invert fully anyway the first time you start on these, more like just tipped on a slant and then increase a bit every couple of days. It took me about 3 weeks to get to being fully inverted, but I mostly like to dangle with my hands touching the ground, which is like 80%. I do this after heavy squatting and weight lifting. Its also a great way to start the day, I do my planning that way (like a bat). Would I buy this again, you bet. Use it everyday, it only takes 5-7 minutes. Weirdness.....it makes my hair grow crazy fast.

Edit...you don't need all those add ons, like little balls, never use them. Plus they have sales and free shipping. Check Amazon too.

Thanks @DirtDiva for your review of the Teeter inversion table! My DH and I just ordered the 960...should be here in a week! The Teeter People were very helpful and gave us an AWESOME deal! I know DH's back will benefit from it and I can't wait to give it a go too!

Thanks @DirtDiva for your review of the Teeter inversion table! My DH and I just ordered the 960...should be here in a week! The Teeter People were very helpful and gave us an AWESOME deal! I know DH's back will benefit from it and I can't wait to give it a go too!

@Nanbo Please post your review on your new teeter.:)
Is your shoulder getting any better?

Your welcome and I hope you like it as much as I do!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.