Really Oily skin

A

amanda12485

Does anyone know of a good product for oily skin? My makeup doesn't want to stay on very long and my face gets so shiny because as the day goes on my skin gets so oily. anyone know of a good product?

I use Thouroughly Clean Facewast by Desert Escentials. I buy it from Whole Foods. It uses Tea Tree oil and Awaphuii oil and amazingly cleans but moisturizes at the same time. BTW I have pretty oily skin.

Just something to keep in mind...be careful what you use on your skin, because if you use something to strip the oil without giving back moisture, it will cause your skin to produce even more oil. I like to use either Olay face cloths or Alba's pineapple enzyme cleanser (smells so fabulous!!). But for moisturizer, I actually use 2 drops of jojoba oil on damp skin and it keeps my oil levels balanced. I read about it on another forum and just found this:

"It is theorized, but not yet proven, that because jojoba oil is so similar to human skin oil, it can "trick" the skin into thinking it has produced enough oil and thus balance oil production." (http://www.acne.org/jojoba-oil.php).

Pernox

never heard of Pernox. where do you get yours? I saw a few different kinds when I googled it. which one do you get?

I used to get it at Walgreens but now I mailorder it from whichever site happens to be cheapest. I get the Scrub Cleanser for oily skin. It stinks and it is quite drying but I need it because my skin is so oily. You should find some means of moisturizing afterwards, YMMV.

(BTW, I don't check this forum regularly so feel free to PM me if you have a question)

-- Mindy

Does anyone know of a good product for oily skin? My makeup doesn't want to stay on very long and my face gets so shiny because as the day goes on my skin gets so oily. anyone know of a good product?

I have really-really oily skin. I cannot recommend you good makeup for oily skin, but for skin care products I can make some recommendations.

I use Clarins skin care products for oily skin and they are sooo good. Those products are expensive, but I justify the cost this way: I normally use a jar say, of face cream for ~ five-six months; therefore, if you divide the cost of that jar by five or six, the cost turns out to be quite reasonable...

I use HydraQuench Cooling Cream-Gel (for Normal to Combination Skin or Hot Climates) as my everyday moisturizer, Lotus Face Treatment Oil (for Combination Skin prone to Oiliness) before go to bed, and some of their Oil Control products randomly:

http://us.clarins.com

And by the way, their cleansers for oily skin are extremely good too.

HTH

Hi,

Here's a couple of links I found helpful since I have very oily skin.

I've been using this daily face wash routine for about 2 months now and I love it, its natural and cheap, so what's not to love!

Amazing face wash routine! http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=69399

Here's a link I found helpful since I have very oily skin. http://boards.webmd.com/webx?THDX@@.89608f40!thdchild=.89608f40

I got the recipe for skin toner from there. I make mine with apple cider vinegar about 8oz, and 1 cup of green tea made with 3 or 4 teabags allow to steep and be really strong. When cooled I combine the applecider vinegar and green tea into 1 16 oz size bottle. The vinegar acts like a disinfectant and has some antibacterial properties and the green tea is full of anti oxidants which is great for your skin and anti aging properties. Never use straight apple cider vinegar it is too acidic by itself and must be diluted by half.

I use clear Aloe Vera gel (brand Fruit of the Earth) I apply this before makeup as a makeup primer giving me a true matte finish before makeup is applied. Makeup I use everyday minerals makeup its great and costs less than Bare Essentials which I have used and love but the cost is much higher.

I hope this info is helpful~;)

Hugs!

Nora

Nora, do you frequent the EDM forums? I use that as well (SOOOO much better than BE!!) and have gotten quite a few natural skin care tips there.

What worked for me is just plain soap, a fragrance free, dye free bar of soap. I also use a toner and if I need it, an oil free moisturizer. This has helped me clear up, too. I have learned that if I use anything too harsh on my face it produces a lot of oil. I would have beads of oil on my face after 20 minutes of washing. Yuck! Good luck finding what works for you. HTH.

Adina

I know exactly what you're saying about a shiny face halfway through the day! I started using proactiv a while back because my face had gotten so bad. It really helped my face a lot, but my face was even more oily. Then, I got their Daily Oil Control product - works wonders! I'm almost out, though, and I think I'll try Nora's home remedy! Anyway, i hope that helps!

THANKS FOR THE INFO, I THINK I AM GOING TO TRY THAT JOJOBA OIL, WHERE CAN YOU BUY THAT AT?

I generally use 2 drops on my face sometimes 3 or 4 on my face and neck but no more than that. The key is to put it on a damp/wet face. After I wash my face and rinse it, I will wipe the extra water off my face with my hand, but it is still kind of wet (I leave my hands wet, too). Then I put two or three drops of jojoba oil into my hand, rub them together, then rub it on my face and neck. I put my jojoba oil into a glass dropper bottle to make it easier.

You definitely don't want to put this on dry skin as it won't sink in and will just make your face greasy...do it once and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

So I have been just using a clinique moisturizer that I have and rarely use. I put it on after my prescription acne medicine and I have noticed that my skin is a lot less oily as the day progresses. Who knew? I haven't worn makeup most of the summer and am going to go shopping for some today as I have to go back to work this week. I do have some foundation here that I am going to try and see how it wears as the day progresses. I still have to worry about breakouts, I always seem to have a few and they always leave marks that take forever to fade.

Any suggestions with foundation? I realize that I have to wear it because if I don't I look worse than my students. I do struggle with it settling into fine lines and getting gross from my oily skin in a matter of only a couple of hours.

I have had really good results following advice from the "Skin Type Solution" book by Dr. Leslie Baumann, and by joining the online skin forum for that and getting help from those folks as well, some of whom are really experienced with skin problem solving. Also have used "Paula's Choice" products with very good results. HTH!

My dermatologist and I just had the moisturizer or not for oily skin conversation. He says it is a myth that everyone needs a moisturizer. I almost NEVER ever use a moisturizer...maybe once a week in the winter. And I use Tazorac everyday. It has given me the best results I've ever had. He also said cleansers and toners are the least important items to spend your money on because they don't stay on the skin. Spend your money on the treatment lotions and if needed, moisturizer. (credentials ~He knows his stuff and is respected by his peers...just elected president of the SC Dermatologist Assoc. ) HTH! :D

Becky

I can agree with that. I live in Colorado, where it is dry, so I have to wear a moisturizer or I'll look like a chapped raisin! LOL But when I visit my folks in NE, where it is humid, I find that I don't really need to wear it as long as I don't use a cleanser that dries out my skin.

My skin is sooo oily I can fry chicken....livin' in the south doesn't help much....

I use the store brand, apricot scrub and sea breeze. Moisturizer, I found Anew at garage sale and I really like it. I can't afford a large jar of it, though, but I do have other moisturizers. I use in the winter, cocoa butter. Anne Gittleman swears by it, cheap too!

Every once in awhile I'll use Queen Helene's clay mask. That really helps too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.