Quotations!!

waterlily

Cathlete
In my life, I try to meditate on quotations, especially when I am going through a rough time. When I do this, my problems aren't solved, but at least I am more optimistic about the future. Two of my favorite 'get me through the hard times quotes are:

" Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."
- Art Linkletter

"Your failures in life come from not realizing your nearness to success when you give up"
- Yoruba Proverb

What are some of the quotations that you use to lift your spirits or just to give you a positive vibe?

W

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." --Ronald Reagan

I need to keep chanting this to myself at work. :p I care deeply about my job, and am trying to accomplish good things, but there are people that are only after the glory, and will take credit for work that others have done. It drives me crazy, but I try to keep the big picture in mind.

Here's my #1 though:

"You have to take a certain amount of BS from people in this world, just don't let them rub your face in it."
---Walter Brown

That one's from my Daddy :) That's what I remember when I'm choosing my battles!

My three main quotes are:
"If it is to be, it is up to me"
"Nothing worth having comes easy"
"Everything happens for a reason"

I can't think of my #1 quote at the moment, but I always liked one that Oprah used on her show one time, that applies to exercise. She may have gotten it from someone else, though.

"Discipline is doing something, even if you don't feel like it."

When I don't feel like working out, I remember that quote.

>"Discipline is doing something, even if you don't feel like
>it."
>
>When I don't feel like working out, I remember that quote.

I like that quote.:)

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."- Earl Wilson

"The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself." -- Mark Twain

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." Corrie Ten Boom

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=teal]***Lainie***

My fitness blog: http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html
7.gif

Lainie,

Thank you for this one: "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." I worry too much and can't help it!!
Sarah

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue" from my dad

"Everything is going to be all right, because it can't get any worse!" From me. (That one goes around at work a lot)

There's another one I like, and I can't remember who said it, or the exact quote, but something like "success is falling down 7 times and getting up 8"

Nan

Not short or snappy, but it is my all time favorite -

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1910

>There's another one I like, and I can't remember who said it,
>or the exact quote, but something like "success is falling
>down 7 times and getting up 8"

There's a similar one I like: "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." ~ Confucius

I think of that one after I fall off my step. :)

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=teal]***Lainie***

My fitness blog: http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html
7.gif

I like one that I got from this forum (from Christine's post I think) that says "Wag More, Bark Less". I have been less than happy with my job lately and sometimes find myself complaining to my co-workers and that's not cool and I regret it later. So I found a neat photo online of a Springer Spaniel that looks just like my dog and put the quote above it and it sits on my desk as a reminder to myself to wag more and bark less. Whatever it takes to inspire and encourage! ;)

:) Glad I could help! I saw that one on a bumper sticker and it struck a chord with me. You're right - it's a simple way to remind myself that I should enjoy more and complain less. Although, since I have an Australian Shepherd with no tail, it should read for me - wiggle more, bark less. :p

I think I posted these before, but they're so good I'll post it again. BTW, I can't pick my favorite (although I'm kind of partial to Thatcher's), it's too hard!

QUOTES BY GREAT LADIES

Inside every older lady is a younger lady -- wondering what the hell happened.
-Cora Harvey Armstrong-

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy.
-Helen Hayes (at 73)-

I refuse to think of them as chin hairs. I think of them as stray eyebrows.
-Janette Barber-

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
-Lily Tomlin-

A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car.
-Carrie Snow-

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.
-Laurie Kuslansky-

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.

-Erma Bombeck-

Old age ain't no place for sissies.
-Bette Davis-

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.
-Rhonda Hansome-

The phrase "working mother"! is redundant.
-Jane Sellman-

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Whatever women must do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.
-Charlotte Whitton-

Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts falling apart.
-Caryn Leschen-

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
-Catherine-

When I was young, I was put in a school for retarded kids for two years before they realized I actually had a hearing loss. And they called ME slow!
-Kathy Buckley-

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb -- and I'm also not blonde.
-Dolly Parton-

If high heels were so wonderful, men would still be wearing them.
-Sue Grafton-

I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on.
-Roseanne Barr-

When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country...
-Elayne Boosler-

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman, with nothing to wear.
-Maryon Pearson-

In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.
-Margaret Thatcher-

I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a ca reer.
-Gloria Steinem-

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man, I keep his house.
-Zsa Gabor-

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

A good END

"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

I know it has another intended meaning, but whenever I think about this quote, I am reminded of the things my 5 year old says. His very innocent observations are SO clever. I sometimes think kids do know all of the important things.

These are great! Here are a bunch of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite writers, Kurt Vonnegut. I know there's a ton here, but the man was brilliant and it's hard to narrow it down!

If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.

And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."

There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Mafia.

Like all real heroes, Charley had a fatal flaw. He refused to believe that he had gonorrhea, whereas the truth was that he did.

Wars would be a lot better, I think, if guys would say to themselves sometimes 'Jesus - I'm not going to do that to the enemy. That's too much.'

Ideas or the lack of them can cause disease.

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things.

Freud said he didn’t know what women wanted. I know what women want. They want a whole lot of people to talk to.

What do men want? They want a lot of pals, and they wish that people wouldn’t get so mad at them.

If I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, “Kurt is up in heaven now.” That's my favorite joke.

Evolution is so creative. That's how we got giraffes.

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.

R.I.P. Kurt!

Amy

"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.” Hunter Thompson

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

"The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music." George Carlin

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

"If this be treason, make the most of it." Patrick Henry

I don't know who said this, but it applies to so many things:

"Never sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

with respect to workout out...

"It is either the pain of discipline or the pain of regret."

I also like the quote in my signature!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.