questions for Vrinda (Vee)

eraslan

Cathlete
Hi Vrinda,

I had a question to you about creating video playlists (http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1886480&postcount=16)
It is a follow up on an earlier post you had. Basically I would like to know if you are able to combine chapters from different Cathe DVDs selectively. (That is, when I create a video playlist, it includes all the chapters. Instead, I would like to be able to combine warm up from one dvd with combo 1 from another, etc.)

Also, I use Handbrake to rip the videos. For some (e.g. Shiva Rea) it takes a very very long time, and in the end the output is a scrambled video. Any thoughts on this?

Hi!

If you want to make individual itunes video tracks from a DVD - either each chapter from the DVD as a track, or multiple chapters from the DVD combined into a single track, your DVD ripping program needs to support ripping by chapter.

I havent used handbrake yet, but I just downloaded it.

Whe you say scrambled, do you mean the video is distorted, or do you mean the order is wrong? If you mean video distortion/garbling, check if you have the latest version of handbrake (0.9.3). To do this access "Help" and "About" from the handbrake menu. I am not sure if this will help, but it could be a bug that has been sorted out in the latest version.

If you mean the order is wrong, it could be because of the way the DVD was authored. The DVD menu "knows" how to play chapters in order based on how the person who programmed the DVD authored the DVD. Handbrake will just take them sequentially (most DVDs are authored sequentially so this wont be an issue a lot of the time). So to overcome this, rip the DVD into multiple tracks (see below) and then put them together in the order that you want into a video playlist.

Handbrake supports ripping a chapter individually as a video track, or even combining chapters into a single track in the version I just installed (0.9.3). The default is that all chapters get ripped into a single track, but you can rip just one or a few at a time by using Row 2 on the screen, where you can pick "Chapter x through Chapter y" where x and y could be the chapters you want to combine as a video track. For instance of the Warm up is chapter 1, select "Chapter 1 through 1".

To find out which chapter is what, play the DVD on your PC using a program like Windows media player, but not in full screen mode. There is a panel at the right hand side (based on which version you use) that will tell you which chapter is currently playing.

DVDs are authored as Titles, with chapters within each title. For instance the main workout or movie could be Title 1 and Title 2 could be special features of a movie or an intro to a workout. Each Title is usually accessible from the main menu of the DVD. So when you select someting from the main menu, the DVD is programmed to play the specific title. Within each title there could be multiple chapters (each section of the workout is a chapter).

With Cathe DVDs, mostly they are authored so that Title 1 is the standard workout and each premix is a separate Title. Within each Title, there are chapters. Sometimes the chaptering may not correspond to set of an exercise, for instance there could be a mini chapter where Cathe puts down weights and picks them up again for the next set, so if you rip chapter by chapter you could end up with a lot of video tracks especially in her older DVDs. I usually combine chapters so that each track is one complete set of an exercise, or sometimes even all sets of an exercise so that the number of tracks does not become unmanageable.

Once you create multiple video tracks from a DVD, combining is easy. In itunes, create a video playlist. Drag the warmup track from DVD A, then the next track from DVD B and you can mix and match to create your own workout.

I hope that was clear.

Do ask again if you need clarifications.

Last edited:
Wow, many thanks Vrinda. This is very helpful. With respect to first issue, I had been ripping Cathe DVDs as single tracks. I will create multiple tracks then (sounds like a lot of work though--probably there will be a new program that does it automatically before I find the time and energy to do it).

With respect to the second issue, I mean the video is distorted/garbled. My Handbrake is 0.9.3. I am experimenting with RipIt at the moment and will try MacTheRipper if that doesn't work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks so much again.

Last edited:
Another update: though RipIt was able to rip to a file that can play on my computer, I couldn't add the file it created to my iTunes library. Apparently RipIt is unable to rip to an MP4 file that is needed for iTunes/iPod. Overall for some purposes (such as taking the videos with me when I travel without carrying the DVDs), it works sufficiently well.

Glad that helped :)

I plan to test handbrake. Will let you know if I face the garbling issue too.

Vrinda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.