Questions for Cathe

Hi Julie!

It could be a combo of two things.....1) too much of a good thing (in which you would do the Hiit Tababata workouts less frequently) or 2) You increased/ramped up the amount of HIIT/tabata workouts per week too fast and your joints/ligaments/tendons are cranky (in which again cut back and add them in more gradually). Either way, if they are tender right now, then they are inflamed, and the best thing to reduce inflammation is ICE and a couple of days rest from the activities that aggravate it.

Have you ever heard of CVS brand cold peas therapy. Its a gel donut that velcros around your knees and gets the EXACT area you are talking about beautifully. Since discovering these I've nearly eliminated taking Advil for inflammation. Good Luck!

Hi Cathe!
I am totally in love with your workouts and am so excited you keep giving us more all the time! I started working out more regularly about 6 weeks ago and have been doing more high impact workouts (Hiit, Tabatas, etc.) but my knees are giving me trouble. They only really hurt if I'm squatting or doing something like lunges. It feels like they hurt mainly on the top of the kneecap towards the quad muscle. Is there something I can do to not have them hurt so much? Do I just need to take a break? Thanks Cathe!

Hi Cathe!

I have a question regarding building rotations. Many of your workouts use weight to increase the intensity of the workout (Cross Fire, To The Max, Afterburn, Supercuts, etc). When building a rotation, I always struggle to know if it's ok to add in these types of workout before or after a strength training day. Is there a good guideline I can use to help me out? I know Cross Fire and To The Max use small enough values that they can be done before or after a weight day but what about Supercuts and Afterburn (or similiar workouts). How much weight is too much after a stength training day? Or is it more the moves that are being with the weights? Thanks for the advice!

Stacie

That is too funny :D

Ah yes, some parts of me a stronger than others. I guess this is normal. I have never participated in live chat before. You are awesome!

My daughter, 9, who workouts with me occasionally, asked if it was weird that I talk to you on the tv. I said no, It will only be weird when you start talking back to me:)

Hi Stacie! You can do weights before or after all of the workouts you mentioned. The only time you shouldn't is if you feel extreme "all over" DOMS from doing them prior to a weight workout. If you have localized DOMS, for instance just really sore triceps, then choose a weight workout that doesn't use triceps. Likewise if you did a weight workout and your triceps are really sore, then in any of the workouts you mentioned above, avoid doing the segment JUST for triceps but you don't have to avoid the whole workout. I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough. Good Luck.

Hi Cathe!

I have a question regarding building rotations. Many of your workouts use weight to increase the intensity of the workout (Cross Fire, To The Max, Afterburn, Supercuts, etc). When building a rotation, I always struggle to know if it's ok to add in these types of workout before or after a strength training day. Is there a good guideline I can use to help me out? I know Cross Fire and To The Max use small enough values that they can be done before or after a weight day but what about Supercuts and Afterburn (or similiar workouts). How much weight is too much after a stength training day? Or is it more the moves that are being with the weights? Thanks for the advice!

Stacie

Aw, thank you Murphy! How sweet of you to share that with me. You gave me inspiration for my choreography lock in later tonight :)

Hi Cathe,

I don't have a question, just a comment - thank you so much for doing what you do and doing it so well. It would be easy for you to slack off and still sell tons of dvd's, but it is clear that you don't do that. Each dvd is a masterpiece and delivers exactly what you say it will deliver. With each new release I think this one is my favorite and she cannot outdo herself - but then you do. Thank you for everything, your programs are wonderful and have helped me so much over the years. Please keep doing what you are doing!

Murphy

Hi Katrina! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, I do intend on having a heavy bag bonus segment. And yes the entire Rockout Knockout workout will incorporate kicking AND Punching drills :eek::eek::eek:

Hi Cathe! My question is about the Rockout Knockout workout you will be filming. I was wondering if you were considering adding a bonus heavy bag section to this workout? Maybe more tabatas with both kicking and punching drills? There was a thread about this over in the new and upcoming workouts forum and it looks like several people would love another heavy bag section. Either way I can't wait for the new workouts!

Hi Colleen! Thanks for your questions...

The first one I answered with Katrina above and the answer is YES :D

As far as your kettlebell question, I am not kettlebell certified soI don't like to put out a DVD based on a piece of equipment until I have either a certification or some comprehensive training in. So as of now it is not likely I will be doing a kettlebell DVD. However, there are some dumbbell moves that translate well into the kettlebell flow and when this opportunity lends itself to the choreography I create I like to incorporate those swings in there. I can't promise they will make the cut, but yes, I do have a couple of those swings factored into my upcoming workouts.

As for the Matrix Menu question....we introduced this concept with our Body Blast series (our Workout Blender) and found its fine with our download options but for DVD's there were several issues due to DVD player compatibility. Right now we are not considering going this direction for our DVD workouts.

Have a great Tuesday :)

Hi Cathe! I am another one who would love some kickboxing tabata inspired drills in the Rockout Knockout workout! I absolutely adore every Hiit and tabata inspired workout you've put out so far and this would be an awesome addition to a kickboxing workout! :eek:

For my question, I was wondering if you have reconsidered doing a kettlebell inspired workout? I enjoy this one workout series called Kettlebell Kickboxing and I keep thinking how AWESOME it would be if you did something like that! The kettlebells are kept pretty light and alternated with MMA/kickboxing type moves, plus one of the people in it does the moves with a dumbell for modification. I especially enjoy using various kettlebells swings for low impact cardio. Thanks for all you do and your seemingly limitless energy! :eek:

Oh, and one more question...Have you ever thought about using a Matrix Menu on your dvds so people could pre-select which chapters they wanted to do for their very own premix creation? There are a few dvds on the market that do this, namely Shiva Rea and to a lesser extent the 10 Minute Solution dvds. TIA!

question to cathe

Hi Cathe,

You have probably left the forum by now but I thought I may just post my question hoping you can answer when you have time.

Cathe I am designing a pyramid down STS from meso 2 to meso 1. I want to lift 80% and 75% for four weeks. I nearly completed my first STS round and would like to start as soon I am done.Is it okay?.

My second question is about the greatest hits volume coming up. How many disc with the volume contain?

Kind Regards,

Hi Melissa!

In place of the warrior sit ups lie flat on your back and let your knees fall out to each side (like a butterfly position). Do a crunch with your hands behind your head and your right leg lifting and lowering with your crunch 8 times and then switch to you left leg lifting and lowering 8 times and repeat right side and left side again. Try not to pause until the entire sequence is finished.

In place of side planks do a regular prone plank (facing the floor) on your elbows and step out out, in in, with your right foot and left foot. So its right foot steps to right 4 inches and left foot steps to left 4 inches, then right foot returns to start position and left foot returns to start position). Repeat 10 times.

Hi Cathe,
I am really enjoying xtrain! Hoping to be here tomorrow for the chat.

My question is, what is a good sub for the warrior sit ups and side plank moves in core 2, that
would target the same areas? My right shoulder will not support my weight.

Thank you so much,
Melissa

It sure is Mary K. Make it work for you! Keep in mind your legs had full recovery time with the long rest in between so you might not feel the same fatigue as if you are doing it all at once but it still counts.

Hi Cathe,
I am in week 10 of the 90 day XTrain rotation and loving it!

Is it ok to split up a long weight workout in the same day? The leg workout in XTrain is longer than I have time for in the morning, but I love the different sections. Is it ok to do Standing + Ball in the morning, and Barre and Floor later in the same day?

Thanks!

Hi Kanga....two times a week is plenty. I don't recommend more than that.

Hi Cathe

I would like to ask how many times a week can you do the 100 rep challenges? For example Hip Thrusts, could I do these 3 times a week or would that be too much?

Thanks for all you do.

Have a great day

Thank You Kelly! So happy to hear that! I truly am :)

Hi Cathe!

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying XTrain! These workouts are so much fun! And effective too...I have noticed my strength has increased since starting Xtrain in January. I am looking forward to the new workouts too!

Thanks for all you do! You are truly an inspiration!

Have a great day,

Kelly:D

Glad you liked the article Exercise lover :)

Pedal Power
Great Glutes
Lean Legs and Abs
FlexTrain

The above workouts are not expected to have any impact at this time but I cannot promise that (except for Pedal Power which will have NO impact). When I fine tune, sometimes I find something is needed to "seal the fiyah-burnin' deal". It may involve a high impact movement. But the intention is to do the workouts without impact. The remaining workouts in the presale (Rockout Knockout, Party Rockin Step and X10) will have a mix of high and low impact. If its possible to create an all low impact premix during editing we will ALWAYS do so (no way to know until the workouts are 100% complete).

Hi Cathe,

I'm excited about your new Preorder. The workouts do sound like fun (but still hard). I was hoping you'd address the impact level for each. I know the cycle one will be zero impact, but what about the others?

Also, thank you for the article explaining low impact in this week's newsletter. Great article. Thanks for all you do.

Hi Chosen! Initially when you do a workout that you have never done before or do one that you haven't done in a while you will have more DOMS than the next time you do it. So when you have the crazy 3 to 4 day DOMS sessions chances are your tender muscles will benefit from a 72 hour recovery (this does not mean you can't do cardio or any other muscle group that is not sore). Eventually that 3 to 4 day DOMS will start checking out after 48 hours and you can get back to your routine. The key thing to remember is DOMS is a sign of your body making current changes....don't interrupt the process ;)

Hi Cathe!

Thanks for giving us chances to connect with you and ask questions! :)

My question regards how long to wait between targeting muscle groups: If I were to exercise certain muscle groups (let's say on a Monday night) and I chose to follow the general guidelines of waiting at least 48 hours before targeting those muscle groups again, then my earliest time to target them would be Wed. night. But what if I have DOMS in those muscles on Wed. night? Is it still ok to work on them or should I wait until the DOMS subside? And what if the DOMS takes more than 3 days!? ;):eek:

I also want to put my .02 cents in for the crowd requesting low impact modifications to be included in the workouts (maybe one crew member performing the more higher impact exercises in a low impact way so we can see them done in 'real time' during the exercise).

Thanks again for your ENDLESS inspiration!! :D

Last edited:
Hi Rachel! Yes, but it is something we haven't been able to make a priority and this has resulted in a long delay :(

Hi Cathe! I would like to know how things are coming along with the power tower? Are you still planning on bringing that back?
Thank you!
Rachel

Congrats on your strong triceps :D

You are not alone with your quest to find that exact location of where the rear delt work should be felt. There are a few muscles that also get engaged that surround the posterior delt in the back region and these muscles are larger and stronger than the posterior delt and they are "hogs" and love to steal the burn away from the rear delts. In order to beat them at their game, make sure that the weight you select for rear delts is not too heavy (use that rear delt test I show you on the DVD which states that if you can't hold the weight that you selected at the top of the movement for a second or two then it's too heavy).

You should feel the work right in the back side of your shoulder. A trick is to touch that area after you worked them and the muscles should be warm (possibly even hot) to the touch.

Hi Cathe

Just wanted to say that I'm loving Xtrain. I've just started week 8 of the 90 Day program and I'm really seeing strength gains. Week 1 I nearly fell on my face when I attempted the triceps dips on my toes on Burn Sets. Last week I did the whole lot on my toes! Thank you!

I have a question about the rear delts section. I'm never quite sure whether I'm using the correct muscle in that section. Where should I be feeling it?

Thanks!

The only thing you need to be aware of when doing it like this is the STS program is based on “progression” which means you add a little weight each week or so to your workout. Over the months these small increases start to add up and your muscles get stronger. With reversing the order you’re not following the true rule of progression, but it doesn’t mean your method won’t work or is wrong. If reversing the order of the workout helps you mentally stick to your workout program, then by all means do it.

As for the Greatest Hits DVD it will be one workout on one DVD disc.

Hi Cathe,

You have probably left the forum by now but I thought I may just post my question hoping you can answer when you have time.

Cathe I am designing a pyramid down STS from meso 2 to meso 1. I want to lift 80% and 75% for four weeks. I nearly completed my first STS round and would like to start as soon I am done.Is it okay?.

My second question is about the greatest hits volume coming up. How many disc with the volume contain?

Kind Regards,

Ah yes, some parts of me a stronger than others. I guess this is normal. I have never participated in live chat before. You are awesome!

My daughter, 9, who workouts with me occasionally, asked if it was weird that I talk to you on the tv. I said no, It will only be weird when you start talking back to me:)

Lol you are so funny! I sure hope i meet u one day Meliissa! Lol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.