question on Target Heart rate

kittykat

Hi Cathy and all who know such answers! My question is on THR,while doing interval max, which by the way is fantastic! My heart rate right after the high intensity was 240? WOW. Even after the cool down phases it was 170. Now my rate according to calculating by my age is 110 to 143 for 60-80%. My maximum heart rate is 180.
Should i be concerned that it is so high? I want to get more lean and I heard that a high heart rate wont do this. When I run it also goes high like this.
Ive been doing aerobics for over a year now, sholdnt my heart rate be lower? Thanks, Kitty

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-01 AT 04:22PM (Est)[/font][p]I'm curious. What is your perceived exertion when you are at 240 and at 170? In other words, how do you feel --like you are gulping air or do you feel like you could continue for a little while?

Also, are you using a heart rate monitor or are these numbers based on a 6 second count?

At 170, I feel pretty good, just breathing deeply, at 240 I am dying and dont think I can do it a second longer.(well maybe not dying but you know what i mean) I had to fudge on the last interval, just no energy left.
I am just using a 6 second count, I dont have a monitor

It sounds to me like you might be working a little too intensely on the interval. I say this mostly because you seem concerned that you might be working too hard and I have a tendency to tell people to go with their gut. Everyone has their own opinion on these things, of course. And obviously the purpose of the interval blast is to increase your heart rate beyond your normal workout pace. Using an 11 point perceived exertion scale I like to be at a 9 during the interval and between 7 and 8 during the rest period (although I might slip into a 6 during a long rest period). Here is the scale I am using. Tell me if it works for you.

0 - rest
1 - no fatigue. like you feel just sitting around.
2 - no fatigue. like you feel moving around a room.
3 - no fatigue. moving quickly around a room.
4 - warmup relaxed.
5 - warm and breathing deeply.
6 - breathing deeply, but easy to maintain.
7 - fatigued, but can maintain. prefer not to talk.
8 - fatigued, not totally sure if you can maintain.
9 - fatigued, cannot maintain long. labored breathing.
10- cannot maintain. need to slow down.

I always depend on my own perception of how I am feeling, but I also use a heart rate monitor. I find it helps keep me on track. I find it to be a lot more accurate than a 6 second count. Also, it lets me track my heart rate all during the workout rather than only at rest periods.

I agree

I tend to have a higher than "normal" heart rate. It's always above what the charts say it should be. So I go strictly by perceived exertion and how I "feel".

[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

RE: I agree

Yeah, you know I've had a lot of questions about what my actual maximum heart rate is. I'm thinking about asking my doctor for a full stress test or something. My numbers don't match the chart at all. In fact, I set my target range on my monitor based on my perceived exertion and how it seems to match up with the numbers. That has been working for me, but I am curious about what my true maximum is. I suppose it could be that my max is higher, but maybe it is also that I have an increased aerobic capacity and am able to workout closer to my maximum heart rate.

240 seems way to high. I would question your 6 second count. When your heart is pumping harder perhaps you are reading both the expansion and contraction of your heart as a seperate beat instead of just one. Just a thought. You may want to check with your doctor. Or try and access some type of heart montior and compare the monitor verses your 6 second count. Most gyms have equipement that have pulse monitors on their treadmills. If you don't belong to a gym a lot of them offer day passes. You would probably have to sit through a sales pitch though. If you know someone who has a membership they can usually bring a guest and you the salesman usually leave you alone.

Dawn W

Yeah. I don't really think her heart rate is that high. I think it's just a misscount for a reason like the one you mentioned. That's why I asked how she was feeling at both checks. Her perceived exertion doesn't really match the numbers. I like the idea of doing a test with some equipment at the gym, if you have access. At least that would give a ball park of what your heart does at that exertion.

Ugh! I cant believe I am this dumb that I have been counting both counts, but this makes sence. Tomorrow when I work out I am going to try it again and see what I come up with, thanks again.

kittykat, just thought you might be interested in this: There was a great article in the NY Times about target heart rate. It said that heart rates are more related to genetics than the average heart rate chart. additionally, the sample of people they used to create the chart were not representative of the population. Scientists seem to agree that the real measure of fitness it how fast your heart rate slows down after you are at 80-90 percent of your perceived exertion.

Thanks for the info, sly. I've been meaning to post on this. I have a "high" normal heart rate, even though I've been exercising for years. It used to drive me crazy (still does) to read in popular fitness magazine that a low resting heart rate is good indication of fitness. I was really worried. My doctor told me that cardiovascular fitness is only one factor and that genetics plays a far larger role. I will never get my resting heart rate down to sixty, just like some people (most of us!) will never have Cathe's physique! Anyone else out there with this issue?

One thing that's great about these forums is that you hear from so many people with similar struggles and problems! It makes you feel you're not alone out there!!

I figured out what I was doing wrong. After a hard session such as interval max I would completely stop and take my pulse as it was hard to get when i was moving around, thats when it was 240 maybe I was getting both beats but it really hammered. So after a few times I started taking it as I was cooling down instead of stopping all movement and noticed it to be 170-180. My resting heart rate rarely goes under 70 apparently I just have a faster rate than some. John Hussman of the EAS site refers to this as a Kawasacki heart, says he has the same thing but its nothing to worry about.

Hi kittykat,

It is great to hear I'm not the only person who works out regularly and still has a higher resting rate. Mine is usually between 70 and 80. I just read a book that says the better shape someone is in the lower their resting heart rate is, and that sendentary people's heart rates are usually between 65 and 70, where "fit" resting heart rates are 60 or below. Boy did I feel terrible hearing that!!!
I guess that might be a "majority" rule, but obviously doesn't always apply.

Anyway I'm glad to hear that you at least know your heart rate is recovering quickly (in case the 240 was an actual count). From what other people are saying perhaps 240 is possible. It sure sounds high. Once I get over 195 for any length of time I can feel my heart beat in my ears as it tries to escape my chest ;-) . That's when I know I need to stop jogging and walk for a while. I still wonder about 240, 4 beats per second is alot.
I guess the important thing is that you listen to what your body is telling you.

Dawn W

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-01 AT 01:54PM (Est)[/font][p]http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/health/24TRAI.html?searchpv=site03 Sorry, that last link doesn't work. Try this one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.