question for runners

buffyfan

Cathlete
I have a question for all you runners out there. I've only been running since April - 3 to 4 times a week. I ran 5 miles straight two weeks ago and the next day I had significant pain in my upper right leg/thigh (maybe hip flexor?) I stopped running for about a week or so but I was signed up for a 10K this past Sunday and wanted to do that so despite the fact that I knew my leg wasn't healed I did it anyway. now it is killing me. i'm assuming if I go to the doctor's he will just tell me to rest it. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar pain in that area and if they knew what it was. one of the young girls here at work said she developed some sort of fracture in her hip flexor when she was running like 50 miles a week. I'm lucky if I do 15 a week. I figure I'll wait bout two weeks to see if it heals and then I'm going to try to run again. And if it is still bothering me I guess I'll go to the doctor. any input would be helpful. also, I don't know if this matters but I am pretty overweight. I'm 5'6 and weight about 185. I thought maybe I'm just too fat to run and my body can't handle it. HAHAHAAHA. But, I actually really like it once I'm out there. its a great feeling of accomplishment.

Thanks in advance!

I've been running for a couple of months, but have started slow. Right now I'm up to 3 miles three times a week. I do other forms of cardio too, like hi-lo and kickboxing.

Yes, I do experience some soreness in my hip flexors after running, esp. if I don't stretch them out, of if I add hill work or speed intervals. I heard it's good to wait at least 30 min after a run before you stretch. My DH has torn a hamstring muscle from overzealous stretching immediately following a long run. Unfortunately, sometimes I just don't have the time to wait that long and on those days I just do some light stretching and later in the evening, if I have time, I'll do Cathe's Stretch Max or a yoga vid that focuses on the hip flexors and hamstrings.

My advice, if you're not completely pain free in two weeks don't run until you are. I don't know how old you are but I'm 45, and painful muscles and joints take longer to heal.

Hi Theresa,

Can you describe the pain in your hip a little more? Do you feel it when you walk? Does it start when you move your leg a certain way? I had some hip pain about a month ago that morphed into numbness down my leg when I walked. My doctor told me to rest it completely for 5 days and take advil (600 mg, 4x/day). Since I had been having hip pain for 2 weeks prior to that point, my dr. also had me use a heating pad on it 3x/day. (He said ice was most effective w/in 48 hours of an injury, but not after that point.) That actually worked really well for me. I eased back into 30-40 minute cardio workouts 3x/week and resumed lower body weight work again (1x/wk) which I had been neglecting for a couple of months.

You are not too heavy to run and my hat is off to you for running 5 miles straight! . Take care!

If you run while you're injured you aren't letting yourself heal. That is a rough road because once you are injured and keep at it, you're going to be even MORE injured and have to recover for much longer.

I think the Stretch Max segment with the band is the best for my hips and legs after I run. I wouldn't wait 30 minutes as you'll cool off by then and it's stretching cold muscles; the Stretch Maxes aren't stretches designed to be done cold.

Also be aware of the surfaces you're running on. If you've got a rubberized track or trail nearby or a treadmill those are the kinder surfaces, whereas asphalt or concrete are the harder surfaces and more likely to inflict overuse injuries. The harder the surface, the more shock your joints, bones, and body has to absorb.

ETA: I ran when I was 175; I'm 5'2". Just take it easy and know that your knees, back, etc are all carrying extra weight and having to support you as you demand more and run faster. My knees and back used to hurt when I was heavier and haven't ached like that once I lost a bit. :)

Ok..I just don't get it. I've been running about 2 mos now and and am nowhere near even running 1 mile. How are ya'll doing it? Only running for 2 mos and up to 3 miles????

It could be your IT band. Usually you will feel it on the outside of your knee first but I believe it does run up into the hip as well. I started feeling my IT band while running on a sloped street. I usually feel it outside my knee while running but then maybe the next day it will start to hurt in my hip region. I have been able to minimize the pain by stretching before and after a running. I have also purchased a foam roller which helps as well. I also avoid sloped streets and have gotten a running shoe with more stability and cushioning. Other than shin splints, that is the only other discomfort I feel while running.

Jean Louise

I've been running since April and am up to 9 miles for my long run and 3-5 for my short runs. I do 1 long and 2 short each week. I have just in the last month or so experience a soreness in my hip flexors and/or side hip but found that making more of an effort to stretch right after I run has helped a lot. I also elevate my legs after a run (it's suggested in Chi Running) and that helps too.

Kimberly Fowler has a nice 15 minute yoga routine on iTunes that is designed to be done after a run. I have it on my nano and just click to it as soon as I stop running.

I also have been doing the Resistance Stretching routine from IBS (Dara Torres is in it) and really like the hip and hip flexors stretches.

Kim - for me it's all about going slow and adding walk breaks into my runs. Maybe you are starting out too fast and are getting winded? I also find that the first mile is the hardest a lot of times. If you can talk yourself through that first mile at a slow pace, even taking a short walk break, you may find you can keep going after that.

Ok..I just don't get it. I've been running about 2 mos now and and am nowhere near even running 1 mile. How are ya'll doing it? Only running for 2 mos and up to 3 miles????

I was a runner for 10 years before giving it up to have kids. Even though that was about 8 years ago, I guess I had no trouble picking it up again. Not to mention all those years I wasn't running I was doing intense cardio like Cathe, so I had built up endurance.

Regarding waiting 30 min to stretch, I think I read that in Runners World. I thought it was too long to wait too, but I usually walk for 20 minutes after a run to cool down, so I'm really only waiting about 5 or 10 minutes before I start stretching.

I take walk breaks when I run. I truly believe that some part of all athletics is based on genetics. I run but I am not built as a runner and taking part in all the races I have this year, I see all kinds of people. There are those that make it seem effortless and they come in all ages from 7 to 70 and there are the rest of us who trudge on against all odds and take walk breaks from time to time. I still consider that running. I have done 10-5ks this year and have walked in all of them. I always feel bad during the first mile but it gets better after that.

Check out Jeff Galloway who believes in taking walk breaks.

The great thing about running it that is it's all about you. It's just you and the open road. I don't worry about anyone but doing my best and beating my time. I don't care if I have to walk a little bit here and there. It's still an awesome accomplishment when I cross that finish line.

Hi-

I pulled a hip flexor muscle last spring getting overzealous in a kickboxing session! What helped for me tremendously was to rest it and ice it down 4-6 times/day. I would put a bag of frozen peas on my hip for about 15 minutes at a time. It took me about 10 days before I did any activity.

As other posters stated, gentle stretching before and after running will help prevent injuries.

I hope you recover quickly!! Take care, Lynn M.

I didn't mean to highjack; I'm just getting so frustrated wondering if maybe something is wrong physically. Anyway, I hope you figure out what's causing the pain so you can continue on.

Thank you all for replying to my question about the pain in my leg. It has been a week since I ran the Great Race and it seems to be getting better. I have a hard time with steps. I have to take them one at a time or else my leg kinda collapses. I'm going to give it another week and then go to the doctors. I haven't tried heat so I will do that. I have been stretching it and just resting it. I have only been doing upper body workouts ( I feel like a slug) and it is just so depressing. Anyway, I really really appreciate all the input. I will let you know if it gets any better. THANKS AGAIN!

YOU ALL ROCK~!

Hi Theresa, I've gotten back into running over the summer and just recently have also had hip pain. I assumed right away it was the ITB but went to the school's athletic trainer and according to where it hurt, it's the piriformus (I think that's the spelling), He gave me some stretches which help, but not totally, so I'm going to another sports physician. I wouldn't wait realy long, get it looked at right away so it can start the proper healing process. just MHO!

Theresa,

Although the IT band does go from the knee to the hip area, I agree with LaLa1 that it sounds more like Piriformis syndrome. I haven't been afflicted with this (I get the IT band crap:mad:) but DH has. He has several stretches he does prior to running and then about 1 mile into his run. Also, invest in a foam roller - it'll be the best $20 you'll spend if you are a runner!

Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.