Question for nurses

EricaH

Cathlete
Hi,

My dad was admitted to the hospital yesterday. He lives in South Florida, I live in Ohio. I have been trying to get any information I can about him, but haven't been successful even though I've spent a lot of time on the phone. I've been calling the nurse's station so far, but wonder if there's someone else in the hospital that I should be contacting? My father has no family or anyone there for him. I'm the only family he has and I'm so far away. :(

Erica

Erica, I'm not a nurse but I've had family members in the hospital more times and for longer amounts of time than I care to think.

Call the hospital and ask for the case manager or social worker who covers the inpatients wherever your Dad is. Have them page (probably her) and then explain the situation.

You might need to be persistent.

Good luck.

I agree that the case manager/discharge planner is the person you will probably want to speak to. If you are the only family member he has left, you should be the contact person. The case manager will probably want to get paperwork started to make you his power of attorney/health care advocate if he is not able to make decisions on his own. Because, without this paperwork in place, the nurses on the floor legally cannot tell you anything about his condition. I was a floor nurse and not a case manager, so I'm not up to snuff on all of the paperwork that will be needed, but I'm sure there will be some hoops for you to jump through. The papers needed also vary from state to state. However, it will be much more beneficial for you to get things in place now so that if his condition worsens you will be able to make decisions quickly.

If your dad is able....he can sign a release form to let healthcare providers share his medical information with you. I'm sure these forms vary from facility to facility as well, but the case manager/discharge planner can help you with this as well.

Hope all goes well with your dad.

Thanks, Angie - this is very helpful information! Did you see this situation a lot as a floor nurse? I feel so badly that I'm not there with my dad. He's always been terrified of hospitals and I think he's been putting off medical care for a long time. I have four kids and I can't get away unless it's absolutely necessary so I'm trying to hold off for now.

Erica

Hi there.

I think you should call the bedside nurse. The bedside nurse has access to the patient chart and can put the contact information on the front of the chart. Have him/her put the information in the contact information in the admission database that the RN filled out when your family member was first admitted. You can also get this done through the case and social worker as well. But they are usually there during the day and not evenings and weekends.

It would be best if you were listed as the Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare. Everyone patient admitted is offered to fill out this information when in the hospital.

Best of luck and just take it day by day.

Jennifer (bedside nurse in ICU for over 10 years)

Thank you to everyone! I contacted the social worker and she has been very helpful. Thanks for all of the advice and good wishes.

Erica

Erica, I am so sorry. I hope he does okay and is released soon. Keep us posted. I'll keep him in my prayers.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.