Question about English Bulldogs

purple_magada

Cathlete
My DH has mentioned on numerous ocassions that he would like to get an English Bulldog. A friend of mine has one and she is one of the most sweet and gorgeous dogs I've met . I've done a lot of research on the breed itself but not to the extent of what a breeder does. I'm wondering why are they so expensive? Every breeder site that I have checked out in my area have the dogs starting at $1600 to well over $3000. I do realize that the breeder has the cost of the vet , registering them with AKC or whatever organization they choose to use, and the cost for health certificates and health guarantees. Does anyone know why they are so costly?

Hi Laura. I looked into a bit but most of the rescues require you to have a fenced in yard. (which we don't).

On another note, we did get my dad a doberman from the Doberman Rescue group in Central Pa and that particular rescue group wasn't as "strict" with the home visit and fence. And he is just a joy!!!!

My exboyfriend and I bred English Bulldogs at one point. He loved the breed and I went along with his desires and assisted in the whole entire process.

First let me say that I LOVED the experience...and while I wouldn't do it again (I would agree with Lauramax and would adopt), there was still something precious about raising those adorable little babies. :)

That said, yes, breeding English Bulldogs is very expensive. Breeders take into account the cost of the dogs themselves (my ex's dogs were $2000 each). More often then not, they must be artificially inseminated because of the "height" issues (i.e., the males may be too tall or too short to breed naturally).

Also, the females will most likely have to have a C-section because of the potential problems with natural birth. Our vet told us he has only seen a handful of Bulldogs be able to birth naturally (in his 20 yrs exp), without complications. I believe this is because of the size of the puppies heads.

When you add all of those costs together, in all honesty, my ex really didn't even make THAT much of a profit. I truly believe that people who breed bulldogs consistently don't really do it for the money...or maybe that is me with my rose colored glasses on and I would like to think people will just breed them because they love them!!!

Those are some of the reasons why the cost is so high...I hope this helps a little.

I have boxers now, but really, English Bulldogs are a fantastic breed too. They are such characters. But they are also a lot of work and have many health considerations to consider as well.

Hi, my beloved bulldog, Pearl, died last year at the very old age (for a bulldog) of 13 1/2. Bulldogs are so expensive because they must be delivered via c-section, and the litters are very small. The reason: the massive size of their heads as compared to the birth canal. (If it weren't for human intervention, this breed would have died out long ago.)

Bulldogs are wonderful dogs, but they also can mean alot of vet bills. We were lucky, our Pearl was very healthy. But many of them have breathing problems, skin issues in their folds, and other medical problems. They have wonderful temperments, but can be extremely stubborn and territorial, especially when it comes to food. They are also fairly low energy dogs, and can have respiratory problems, so if you want a dog to run with, or go on long walks with, then a bulldog is probably not the right breed for you, especially if you live in a warmer climate.

But they are absolutely precious... I miss my Pearl! I would visit the Bulldog of America (think that's the name) website for lots of information and breeder referrals.

>My exboyfriend and I bred English Bulldogs at one point. He
>loved the breed and I went along with his desires and assisted
>in the whole entire process.
>
>First let me say that I LOVED the experience...and while I
>wouldn't do it again (I would agree with Lauramax and would
>adopt), there was still something precious about raising those
>adorable little babies. :)
>
>That said, yes, breeding English Bulldogs is very expensive.
>Breeders take into account the cost of the dogs themselves (my
>ex's dogs were $2000 each). More often then not, they must be
>artificially inseminated because of the "height" issues (i.e.,
>the males may be too tall or too short to breed naturally).
>
>Also, the females will most likely have to have a C-section
>because of the potential problems with natural birth. Our vet
>told us he has only seen a handful of Bulldogs be able to
>birth naturally (in his 20 yrs exp), without complications. I
>believe this is because of the size of the puppies heads.
>
>When you add all of those costs together, in all honesty, my
>ex really didn't even make THAT much of a profit. I truly
>believe that people who breed bulldogs consistently don't
>really do it for the money...or maybe that is me with my rose
>colored glasses on and I would like to think people will just
>breed them because they love them!!!
>
>Those are some of the reasons why the cost is so high...I hope
>this helps a little.
>
>I have boxers now, but really, English Bulldogs are a
>fantastic breed too. They are such characters. But they are
>also a lot of work and have many health considerations to
>consider as well.

Wow, they have difficulties breeding and having babies without medical intervention? That's really sad. Is it just because they've been bred for a particular look and that look isn't "functional"??? Not downing the breed at all! Just curious as to why all of the difficulties. They are really cute dogs. :)

Rose and Delfin mentioned most of the reasons they are so expensive! They are cute and friendly dogs, but be aware they have many health issues! The purchase price is just the beginning. The most common problems I see are: ears, skin fold problems, dental disease, kneecaps, tail problems, toe/feet problems, etc. The list could go on and on! Of course not all dogs will develop all problems, but it's good to know going into it.

Not to hijack this thread, but let me also put in my vote for a Boxer. I have a truly beloved female - Lola - who goes everywhere with me and is nothing but a joy and a comfort. Everyone loves her, but no one as much as I. She even works out with me. (In the middle of my workout space, on her back, trying to lick me or trip me...) Your husband also would fall in love with the Boxers!:7

>
>Wow, they have difficulties breeding and having babies without
>medical intervention? That's really sad. Is it just because
>they've been bred for a particular look and that look isn't
>"functional"??? Not downing the breed at all! Just curious
>as to why all of the difficulties. They are really cute dogs.
>:)

Our vet told us that without medical intervention, the breed would most likely cease to exist...which would be really sad because they are an adorable breed. As with many breeds, certain "desirable" traits are exploited. Also known as "selective breeding". With Bulldogs, height, head-size, facial features and coloring plays a big part with many breeders. As is true with various breeds, Bulldogs are a "man-made" breed. Because of this, there are numerous genetic defects that can occur within the breed which is something any potential bulldog owner should be aware of.

But yes...they are super duper cute and hilarious little characters. When my ex and I would walk the dogs around, we would barely get down the street because EVERYONE wanted to stop and see them! They are somewhat of a novelty in a way. Who could resist that face!!! :D

My parents bred, raised and showed English Bulldogs when I was growing up in the 70's and I do remember how expensive the puppies were. The females do have to deliver puppies by c-section and they can tend to have breathing problems.
Aside from that, English Bulldog puppies are THE cutest puppies on the face of the earth. They grow up to be not the smartest in the bunch, but soooo sweet. Their life expectency is shorter than other breeds due to their size and breathing issues. They slobber and are messy, but oh so lovable! I have good childhood memories of our many bulldogs!

Gin:D

What's really sad is that the original bulldog was an athletic working dog. There are breeders who are trying to preserve the true bulldog. I've seen them go by the name "Olde English Bulldogge". From what I can see, the good ones are trying to breed dogs that can breed and whelp naturally and aren't plagued by the problems of the modern bulldog.

I love their smooshed up faces!

I do Great Dane Rescue and have learned some things about breeders and breeding along the way. I know it's a different breed, but I think some of the principles apply.

Breeders typically fall into three categories - responsible breeders,
puppy mills and backyard breeders (BYB's). A responsible breeder puts a lot of time, effort and money into breeding. They do extensive research on the breed, pedigrees and genetic, and health test all breeding stock for common inherited diseases. They carefully screen homes, do new owner education, help the owner with any problems and take back any of their dogs that the new owners can't keep. They don't breed for money, they breed to try to produce the ideal for that breed, to help improve the breed. Reputable breeders don't advertise their pups for sale on the internet or in newspapers. They don't need to, their reputation sells their pups, and they often have waiting lists. Most of the Danes we get into rescue are small and not very good quality - as far as what the breed standard calls for. That's because we don't get Danes that were bred by responsible breeders.

Puppy mills are horrible places, that mass produce puppies to sell to
pet stores. There is no concern about the dogs, just the bottom line,
money. Most BYB's breed for that same reason, just on a smaller
scale. Other reasons that BYB's will breed are because they want a dog just like one of the parents, to show their children the miracle of life, and other reasons that don't make much more sense. Puppy mills and BYB's are the reason for the need for rescue.

As I'm sure you know - there are thousands of dogs (purebred and mix alike) euthanized in shelters across the country every day..........we do not need more, especially dogs bred for money making purposes.

There was an article published called "The ABC's of Puppy Buying" a while ago. An internet search would find it if you are interested. There is a ton a great info included.

Jeanine

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

www.cfgdr.org

Thank you all for the replies - I think my husband really needs to think this over since it is not a commitment to jump into.

Last night I called a breeder who I now know is a BYB (after speaking with her). She had said she had an older male pup for sale who was 7 months old. I asked her how he was with kids and she bluntly told me she did not know. He is kept out in the kennel all the time (with the other bulldogs). He has been around her kids and he seemed ok. That broke my heart. If I am going to buy a dog from a breeder I want the sire and the dam to be part of the breeders' family - not an animal kept in a cage to produce puppies. That is so wrong and so sad.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.