push ups

melmeadows

Cathlete
Hello,

I am new to the Cathe workouts (since December) and I love them! I haven't felt this excited about working out in a long time. I have a question. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to build up strength/endurance with push ups? I can only do about 10 then have to go to knees. I have been doing the 4ds for 2 months now and can't seem to improve.

Hello,

I am new to the Cathe workouts (since December) and I love them! I haven't felt this excited about working out in a long time. I have a question. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to build up strength/endurance with push ups? I can only do about 10 then have to go to knees. I have been doing the 4ds for 2 months now and can't seem to improve.

Thanks for asking the question Melanie. I have the same problem and it's very frustrating. I wonder if it's a problem with form or just not enough strength?

Maggie

Thanks for asking the question Melanie. I have the same problem and it's very frustrating. I wonder if it's a problem with form or just not enough strength?

Maggie

Hi, Melanie and Maggie! Yes, there are tons of good strategies for increasing your push-up counts, and many threads here on the Ask Cathe and Open Discussion forums give great suggestions.

I'm too much of a technological bonehead to try to post e-links to the related threads, but if you do an Advanced Search with the key word "push ups" or "push-ups" (then limiting the search further to "subject only") you should come up with many useable suggestions.

HTH -

A-Jock

Oops, sorry for the repeat question. I didn't think about doing a search for a related topic. I am not tech savvy. Thank you for the help! I found some good tips that I'll give a try.

Melanie

I do them big girl style, against the stairs, dropping my hands one step each time I do a new set. You have to be careful not to whop your head against the step above you, but I'm getting stronger I think!

I've also been experimenting with doing them big girl style with my feet apart. It's helping me get through all those intense pushups at the end of the 4DS Boot Camp workout.

HTH.

Susan L.G.

Hello Melanie!

First I think your name is great!:D

I think it is in Cathe's Gym style chest workout she breaks down a segment of push ups to improve your overall control and endurance of the pushup. It could very well be in a different workout, but I am thinking it is in chest.

You start out in the full push up alignment and go down 6 counts, bend to the knees up 2 counts (4 times) then reverse. This helps build up strenght.

It also helps to put weights under your hands and use the leverage of the weight to help with the push up.

Oh but what I just purchased was the "Perfect Push Up" WOW what a burn that was, super cool!

Good luck. I know it does take a while to do push ups off the knees, and hey there are even some days I have to go to the knees where other days I don't need to. Sometimes it is all about the strenght you have that day.

Melanie, what is the"perfect Push-up"? Is it a tape a book, you spiked my curiosity... GS chest and triceps is where she does drop sets of pushup(OMG). I would like to know the tape where you go down 6 counts bend knees to 2 counts etc. Does anyone know???????????? Thanks Kay

Melanie -- Thanks for the encouragement and info.

Kay - I think the slow push up may also be in either low impact circuit or drill max. I did these recently. I just can't remember which dvd.
I am working on it, I am still feeling them too much in the shoulder. However, in due time and repetition.

Mel:)

>Melanie, what is the"perfect Push-up"? Is it a tape a book,
>you spiked my curiosity... GS chest and triceps is where she
>does drop sets of pushup(OMG). I would like to know the tape
>where you go down 6 counts bend knees to 2 counts etc. Does
>anyone know???????????? Thanks Kay

Not Melanie but you can go to PerfectPushup.com and find out all about it. If you buy, though, you might want to look for the product at your local Target. I saw their infomercial and figured it was just another gadget but many here love theirs and I found out all the guys at work (who work out) are using them religiously. I think I weigh too much (170+) to do push-ups on my toes right now but was surprised that they do, indeed, make (modified) push-ups feel more natural. I had no idea my arms want to naturally rotate out as I lower and in when I raise up but they do. Others here who use them regularly can tell you more.

Drop set pushups ARE done on GSCT but not as I've seen described here (bent knees... no). But GSCT push-ups are still deadly, even when done on the knees.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.