Push ups question

Is it better to go all the way to the floor doing push ups on your knees or only half way down in full/traditional form?
I'm six weeks into XTrain, which I love, but this question bugs me each time push ups come into play.

Thanks!

Hi ;) Personally (not Cathe :)), I think you should combine both in order to achive full push up. You could try doing traditional/full push up on the incline (hands on a bench/couch) or against the wall to make it easier or do push ups on the kness with resistance band behind your back (holding each end of the resistance band in your hands) to make it harder ;)
I recommend you ( and all who struggles with push ups ;) ) to watch this video by Jessica Smith. http://www.jessicasmithtv.com/4-easy-ways-to-modify-a-push-up-if-you-cant-do-one-yet/
Hope that helps ;) ;)
Anna

Anna, thanks for posting Jessica's mods. I do modified pushups all the time and do not plan to ever do a real one. I'm 56 and see no reason to do something I just plain don't care for. So I have stairs close in my exercise room and I often do them against the 3rd or 4th step up from the bottom with my legs out behind me depending how strong I feel that day. Other times I just do wall pushups. I figure those are better than nothing and I content to remain at that level with my pushups.

Anna, thanks for posting Jessica's mods. I do modified pushups all the time and do not plan to ever do a real one. I'm 56 and see no reason to do something I just plain don't care for. So I have stairs close in my exercise room and I often do them against the 3rd or 4th step up from the bottom with my legs out behind me depending how strong I feel that day. Other times I just do wall pushups. I figure those are better than nothing and I content to remain at that level with my pushups.
Great ways how to modify :) I am sure that you should always listen to your body ;) ;)

I love this post so hard. I love that you know what works for you and don't feel pressure to push or change it. Good for you!

Is it better to go all the way to the floor doing push ups on your knees or only half way down in full/traditional form?
I'm six weeks into XTrain, which I love, but this question bugs me each time push ups come into play.

Thanks!

Hi Littletower! There is no right or wrong. You can do one or both methods as long as you keep challenging yourself. Another thing you can do is stay on your toes and maintain that plank position at the halfway mark for as long as you can stand it. Or you can go down with straight legs and then push back up with bent knees (or vice versa).

Thanks much! And thanks for getting my 56 year old, post stage 3c breast cancer body, in the best shape of my life. Feeling strong and healthy feeds my soul. Thanks again!
Congratulations littletower on being post stage cancer. I pray that demon leaves you in peace for the rest of your life. Good job continuing to work out despite it all.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.