Pregnancy

Ela

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,

Just wanted some advise regarding pregnancy. I just found out I'm going to be a new mom. This was unplanned and I have all the worries in the world. I am 45 and already have 4 children. I am excited though and wish to continue to workout as I have with Cathe's STS workouts. I am not sure how to continue. Keep doing STS or change workouts and if so what kind of workouts would you suggest. I also posted this question for Cathe. Any input would be awesome as I am clueless what to do.

Ela

I too just found out that I am pregnant..also not planned. I am 37 with two children. I am having the same feeling/concerns that am sure you are having. I was going to post the same question as you, but my difference is that I really haven't worked out good for about 6 weeks now and I am only a few weeks pregnant. I have done a few things, but I am planning on working out during the whole pregnancy. From what the Dr has told me in the past you can continue to do whatever you were doing before. I know people that are runners and ran most of their pregnancy. With my first pregnancy I worked out the whole time, minus the last month, but with my second I did nothing...what a difference working out makes!!! But as always it is best to check with your Dr and see what they say. Best of luck to you with your pregnancy and working out, I am looking forward to seeing the posts from your question.
mhunt

I did both cardio and weight training through both pregnancies. I didn't run towards the end, but that's just because I felt too off balance. :D

Congratulations to the both of you!

Of course you should talk to your doctor as they say, but doctors are different in terms of how much they are willing to recommend. My doctor said to listen to my body, to not lift too heavy towards the end, especially with squats and lunges, and that it was fine to exercise flat on my back (a big no-no according to most) as long as I didn't feel dizzy when I came back up. I also know that you should not exercise to the point that you are breathless.

I (age 33 now) exercised with Cathe through all three pregnancies and did not half to modify cardio much until month 6 or 7. For weights, I did not do STS because I did not have it. I just recently began STS for the first time after my third baby (he's 3 1/2 months). I don't think I would do STS as designed during a pregnancy because the point is to keep upping your weights, whereas in pregnancy you are just to maintain your strength. However, I don't see anything wrong with doing the exercises with moderate weight and modifying where needed -- understanding that you would not be using the program as intended.

Just my opinion! :) Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.