Precocious Puberty?

I can remember getting my period at a slumber party and asking my friend's mother for either tampons or pads and she told me that only very naughty girls will menstruate so young and she never allowed her daughter to play with me again. .

That is just awful - I can't believe that anyone would say such a thing. :(

Erica

Being so overdeveloped at such a young age really sucked. I wore big shirts and was horribly embarrassed to have breasts, and I hated having to worry about tampons and pads as a little kid. I can remember getting my period at a slumber party and asking my friend's mother for either tampons or pads and she told me that only very naughty girls will menstruate so young and she never allowed her daughter to play with me again. I can also remember trying to tear open the packages to the products ever so quietly in the school bathrooms because people made fun of me.

thats about the saddest thing ive ever read!
:(:(:(:(

Well, this was in the early 80s in West Michigan, which was pretty conservative, and in her case cruel and ignorant.

ITA on her being cruel and ignorant! Unbelievable that this happened in the early 80s--this seems straight out of the 1800s!!! She sounds like the mother in "Carrie"...

GMonkey, that is awful! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Of all my friends, I was the first to develop. I knew so little about it, I actually thought there was something wrong with me. But I was still in the "normal" range going through puberty at age 11, and my friends followed at ages 13, 14 and so on. I can't imagine what it would be like for a 6-year old to have to experience that. Erica, is sounds like you're doing all the right things. I hope everything turns out alright. Please keep us posted!

Being so overdeveloped at such a young age really sucked. I wore big shirts and was horribly embarrassed to have breasts, and I hated having to worry about tampons and pads as a little kid. I can remember getting my period at a slumber party and asking my friend's mother for either tampons or pads and she told me that only very naughty girls will menstruate so young and she never allowed her daughter to play with me again. I can also remember trying to tear open the packages to the products ever so quietly in the school bathrooms because people made fun of me.

This is just about the most sh!tty thing I've read in a while. I am SO, SO sorry that you experienced such a horrible incident!!!!

I am just horrified that a grown woman would say something like that to a little girl!

Well, I know now that the woman is a nutjob, and even though my mother made many bad decisions when I was a child, she did defend me and was as supportive as she knew how to be. She was always open with communication and explained all of the details of puberty to me, so that at least I knew what it was that I was going through and it was very early due to some sort of quirk, not because I was a bad person--it just sucked to have ignorant people treat me like that. That woman's daughter also ended up becoming pregnant at age 16, dropped out of school, had drug issues, etc.

I really didn't mean to take the focus off of EricaH's situation. I just wanted to illustrate how important it is to take the situation seriously. I also wanted to commend her on being so proactive by helping her daughter. Even with the best of parents, which it sounds like EricaH is, precocious puberty can still be difficult. I'm sure her girl will have a great childhood because she has a cool mom and she's getting medical attention, rather than just dismissing it as nature coming early.

I really didn't mean to take the focus off of EricaH's situation. .

You didn't at all. I'm still horrified that a woman could say that to a little girl about menstruating and treat her that way.

When I started college, I had a roommate who came from a very conservative background. She was told that girls who wore tank tops or used tampons were sluts and it was difficult for her to believe otherwise. I thought that was bad, but it's nothing compared to that woman!

I took dd to the doctor yesterday and she had bloodwork done to check her hormone levels. We'll get the results in a few days and I'm sure that we'll be making an appt. with the endocrinologist next.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and support. I really appreciate it! :)

Erica

Update

Dd's blood test results were normal. :)

The pediatrician still wants us to take her to the pediatric endocrinologist. I really don't see the point, but I'll do it. I have a feeling we'll spend a lot of money and time (the doctor is kind of far) to be told "let's wait and see what happens." :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone!

Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.