Precocious Puberty?

EricaH

Cathlete
Does anyone have any information/experience with precocious puberty that they could share with me?

My dd is 6 1/2 and has swelling/tenderness under her nipples. Her pediatrician consulted with an endocrinologist and they want her to have some bloodwork to check her hormones because they suspect precocious puberty. Just wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with this.

Thanks,
Erica

Yes! I got my period and was a large B cup at age 8. Basically, they just chalked it up to being an "early developer" back in the 70s. I'm completely convinced, in my case, that it was a result of all the milk, eggs, and meat my mother made me eat every day as soon as I got teeth. She was terrified that I'd become weak if I didn't get 200% of the calcium and protein that I actually needed.

I'm glad that you are being proactive and actually seeking medical attention for your daughter. I'm sorry that I don't have anything more constructive to add.

Thanks Lori and GMonkey. Wow - having your period at age 8 sounds just awful. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen to my dd. We'll see what progresses after her labwork is done. Erica

Having your period at any age sucks! Really, it argues against the existance of a god for me- why would any god decide to make women bleed for a week once a month for most of her life just to give birth? If there was intelligent design behind it, surely there would have been some other way! :p

I had it

When I was three years old. My breasts budded and I developed pubic hair (sorry if thats tmi) It stopped. I was under a lot of stress at that age. Sometimes stress hormones can influence the body and produce odd results such as precocious puberty. Or it can be hormones in her diet. I would look at reducing soy and possible switching to organic milk if she has any dairy in her diet. Also, other estrogen sources include yams and carrots. She may not progress further, mine did not. The issue for me was that they were concerned about me not achieving a normal height, but I did, I'm now 5'2" :D

Yes, I am looking at her diet now and will reduce (actually, probably eliminate) the soy and switch to organic milk and see if that helps. I don't think it's stress - I'm sorry that you had a stressful time at such a young age. Thanks! Erica

No experience, but I've read of this happening to children from milk consumption (and the consumption of the hormones the cows were treated with).

Hi Erica,

I went through this with my daughter. She was around your daughter's age, or when she developed tenderness and what they call buds in her breasts. The pediatrician referred us to an Endocrinologists, and after an exam and blood work, it was found that she indeed had Precocious Puberty. We monitored her for some time, and around the age of 8, the Endocrinologist and I decided we would start her on meds (monthly Lupron injections), to suppress puberty. We kept her on the treatment for nearly a year. Her last blood work test before the Lupron injections, revealed that she was nearing the point where she would get her period. The doctor estimated it, as possibly 6 months. I thought this would not be good for my daughter to go through at such a young age, so I opted for treatment. The interesting thing is, after we took her off the treatment, she actually didn't get her period for a year or more later, even though the Endocrinologist had told me once you stop lupron injections, the hormones kick in to their previous levels almost right away. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I just let her go at nature's pace, but I did what I thought best at the time. I believe my daughter was around 11 when she got her period, which is considered normal these days. When I talk to her about all of this, she always tells me she's very glad she didn't have to deal with getting her period at age 8 or 9. I also had a talk with my daughter before deciding to treat, and even though she was just a child, she played a part in our decision.

I don't know if you've seen an Endocrinologist yet, but that is basically your first step. They will do a blood test to see what her hormone level is. It is a timed test. They insert a cateter, and draw blood about 3x. I believe it's hourly. I don't remember all the details, but it's something like that. We had to spend several hours at the doctor's office every time my daughter had the blood work drawn. It's a pain, but it's the only way they can really tell where your daughter is at in puberty.

Sometimes girls will get buds, and not actually be in puberty, so you don't necessarily have anything to worry about until you see an Endo. Once you know where you're at, you can decide what to do next. Most doctors will take a wait and watch approach at first. One thing my doctor told me early on is that weight & diet play a very important role. My daughter was always big for her age. Even as a baby. She always insisted my daughter watch what she eat, and eliminate as much sugar from her diet as possible.

I hope this has given you a little idea of what to expect. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :) Good luck.

I've heard that diet and weight do have a lot to do with this. It's becoming a trend amoung younger and younger girls. Being overweight/obese can have an impact. I'd put her on a clean diet, as well. Too much crap in the food kids eat today. But like the others have said, I would see what the doc says (especially because I have no experience in this area beyond what I've read).

Sorry Erica,

I was too quick to reply. I see your pediatrician is on the ball, and has already referred you to an Endocrinologist. That is definitelly a step in the right direction. I can't tell you how many young girls I saw coming into the doctor's office when I'd bring my daughter in. Believe it or not, the doctor told me she had patients as young as 3 years old.

Iris - thank you so, so much for your reply. That was exactly the information I was looking for. My pediatrician consulted with a pediatric endocrinologist and they are drawing blood on Monday and we are supposed to see an endocrinologist after the results are in. I would not want my dd to have a period at a very young age either - I can't imagine having to deal with feminine hygiene so young! I'm sorry your daughter had to go through all of that testing and the injections at such a young age.

My dd is very lean - she's very tall and thin like her dad, so I don't think weight is an issue in our case.

Thanks again Iris and everyone else for your replies.

Erica

My daughter handled those lupron injections better than I ever could. I was the one who used to make all kinds of pained faces. It got to the point where my daughter would tell me, please don't look, lol.

Something I did with my daughter to make treatment not be something she dreaded was that after each injection, she got to pick where she wanted to go shopping. She got smart pretty quick and actually began to look forward to that time of the month, so she could shopping after, lol. Hopefully your daughter won't need to be treated, but if she does, just know it's not the end of the world. Although at first it can feel overwhelming. Please keep us posted :)

Wow. I had no idea about any of this, before this discussion. As a mother of 2 young girls, I'm grateful to hear about things like this. Thanks for raising this discussion, Erica, and I hope your daughter gets the appropriate treatment.

Best to you both,
Sandra

Iris - I used to give myself Lupron shots when doing infertility treatments for my first two pregnancies. That's sweet that you took your daughter shopping to make it a more pleasant experience for her. I have a Webkinz stashed away for my dd for after her bloodwork on Monday. :D

Sandra - thanks for the good wishes. :)

Erica

I got my period quite early..I guess. I was about 9.5 to 10 years old. My mother didn't think it was odd nor did I. I had just learned about puberty and all in 4th grade. I soon got my period within two or so weeks after the lecture...thank God for schooling cause my mother certainly didn't prep me for it!

My daughter who just turned 10 less than a week ago has had buds for the last year or so. I took her to the doctor last year because she complained of soreness. The doctor said it wasn't anything to be concerned about...he said that buds didn't indicate that she would be getting her period soon. I wanted to say, "wrong," just because he didn't know enough about the genetics of my side of the family.

My brother and his wife's daughter got her period at 10, too. My sisters and I got our period between 10 and 11. It's genetics for us. I do feel that my daughter will get her period this year, too.

I don't remember thinking that having my period was as a big deal as it is to some others. My periods also basically became non existence once I had kids. I don't plan and delaying my childs periods once it comes due to an early age. It comes when it comes. I don't want drugs to stop it as though there something wrong with getting her period.

I started having buds and tenderness when I was 9, and didn't get my period till I was almost 14. And this was after my mom had gotten her period when she was barely 11. My own daughter also had buds at a fairly young age, but nothing else (still, over two years later). Sometimes it can be hard to predict.

There is a pretty wide range of normal for when puberty starts, but six is VERY young, and Erica you are doing the right thing by having your daughter checked to make sure she is okay. Good luck with everything!

I started with breast buds when I was 9. My doctor told my mother to take me off all milk products (this was in the 60's believe it or not). I didn't get my first period until I was 12.5 years old which was right on the money in the 60's.

I haven't had any milk, soy milk, and extremely limited amounts of cheese since then, but I recently had my bones checked as my 82 year old mother is suffering terribly with osteo. To my great relief, my bones are great, no signs at all of osteo. Nothing like weight bearing exercise to keep your bones healthy.

Being so overdeveloped at such a young age really sucked. I wore big shirts and was horribly embarrassed to have breasts, and I hated having to worry about tampons and pads as a little kid. I can remember getting my period at a slumber party and asking my friend's mother for either tampons or pads and she told me that only very naughty girls will menstruate so young and she never allowed her daughter to play with me again. I can also remember trying to tear open the packages to the products ever so quietly in the school bathrooms because people made fun of me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.