Pre-workout snack/meal/supplement?

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi girls-

Just wondering (especially for you evening exercisers) what you consume right before your workout? I have been increasing the intensity of my workouts and am finding myself short on energy the last few days. My limbs just feel really heavy and I'm not in the groove like usual.

Do you eat anything prior to working out? Drink something like coffee or a protein shake? Or do you take any pre-workout supplements, like an energy supplement?

I have been having Click! espresso protein shakes before my workouts...it's 120 calories, 15 g of protein, 7g of sugar, and instant coffee is like the 3rd or 4th ingredient...but I have not been feeling all that energized with it.

I really like drinking it though...I drink it in a Blender bottle and it makes me feel kind of athletic/gym-going...I know that sounds corny but it kind of helps me "fake it til you make it" so I'm hoping to maybe find a better pre-workout shake that gives me some good energy?

I like a smoothie with protein powder, 1/2 a banana, and spinach. This gives me enough energy to make it through a workout without feeling heavy or upsetting my stomach.

Do you keep track of your calories at all? Are you sure that you're getting enough throughout the day? The nutritional stats of the shake you posted really should be enough if you needed something just to get you through your workout.

I can understand the mental motivation from drinking a "gym style" shake and if that works for you then by all means keep it up, but I don't think a pre-workout snack/shake should be the determining factor in whether you have enough energy for your workout.

If you're sure you're getting enough calories, my only other suggestion would be looking at your sleep, and after that I guess I'm out of suggestions... I'm a morning exerciser. :)

If I don't feel energized...I always look at my water intake...and generally...yup!! I am a little dehydrated. Especially as it warms up I find it can be a challenge to keep up with all I am sweating out!

I love Chobani 100 calorie yogurts. I'm addicted to the coffee dark chocolate chip one. Great for a little extra energy burst :)

This is great - thanks for the feedback girls.

I will check out that book Nanbo..I love nutrition books.

And water and sleep...yup, I think I could probably increase those. I have recently started tracking my calories (just started Monday) and I didn't realize how low my protein levels are. I think that might be part of the issue.

I'm embarassed to say that the majority of my protein was COMING from that shake...but I am going to keep up the shake and try to incorporate more protein for breakfast and lunch, and also more sleep and water. :) Thanks for the tips girls.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.